Did he really say that? | The Boneyard

Did he really say that?

Reaction Score
I just recently listened to a UConn WBB podcast where the male host said that the acquiring of Dorka Juhasz didn't make any sense to him. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but how does acquiring more talent not make sense? How does having the deepest roster you can have not make sense? How does creating intense competition not make sense?
Not to mention the fact when you look over the landscape of wcbb next season the teams that can stand in UConn' way of winning a NC...Stanford, SoCarolina, Baylor just to name 3 all have imposing size... So adding a 6'4 experienced, all conf player actually makes a ton of sense. Good job Geno! I guess anyone can have a podcast these days!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I just recently listened to a UConn WBB podcast where the male host said that the acquiring of Dorka Juhasz didn't make any sense to him. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but how does acquiring more talent not make sense? How does having the deepest roster you can have not make sense? How does creating intense competition not make sense?
Not to mention the fact when you look over the landscape of wcbb next season the teams that can stand in UConn' way of winning a NC...Stanford, SoCarolina, Baylor just to name 3 all have imposing size... So adding a 6'4 experienced, all conf player actually makes a ton of sense. Good job Geno! I guess anyone can have a podcast these days!
Who said it? That might help put the comment in perspective

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is my sincere desire that Dorka’s addition to UConn’s roster is an unqualified success. But I do have concerns in adding a transfer to UConn’s already loaded team. Specifically, I am concerned about the potential consequences to the roster down the road when a logjam for PT is created, as well as the possibility that the development of talented young players is slowed due to a lack of PT. Hopefully, my concerns are not warranted and everything will work itself out.

Reaction Score
When I watch new players like AE and PB come to UConn and play extremely well. my last thought is...boy these guys are taking minutes away from somebody.
She fills an immediate need for one year that will be satisfied in the future by the two 2022 recruits. It makes winning a championship next year much more likely.

Reaction Score
Can't have too much depth...too many great teams, with depth, banging heads.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
the addition of DJ clearly makes the front court stronger but it was not an absolute necessity with DeBerry joining the team...........I think the calls for DJ to start over ONO were certainly a bit premature......
The calls for ONO to improve have been persistent (since 2019 actually) and had nothing to do with DJ or DeBerry. How much longer were people expecting Geno to wait?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The thing that drew me most to the UConn women was not the winning but the beauty of their execution. Many times Auriemma stated that their goal was not winning but perfection. I buy into that.

There are trade-offs with most things, that includes roster size. Of course there are many factors to consider that make any comparison complicated but a large roster size is not a pure positive as many are assuming. A large, diverse roster size provides more strategies to win, overcoming problems like foul trouble, injuries or opponents that present diverse problems. However, a smaller roster provides a greater possibility for good chemistry and more repetitions per player. Chemistry and repetitions are necessary ingredients for chasing perfection.

Notre Dame won a recent championship despite being plagued with injuries. They had two “chemistry magnets” in Westbeld and Shepherd and a very small roster that received abundant repetitions practicing together over the course of the year. Many on the BY grudgingly praised the Domers for playing a style much like our Huskies. We did not similarly praise SC or Baylor.

Adding DJ at this point increases the ways by which we might win a championship, but decreases the flawlessness of that pursuit. Transfers have less time to be nurtured into the team style and chemistry. I cannot think of a transfer that has helped our chemistry in the past, though I would say that happened with Shepherd and Notre Dame. Fortunately we already have “chemistry magnets” in Bueckers and Westbrook. Perhaps more are on the way. Will that be enough to play the beautiful basketball of the small Notre Dame roster or many of our past teams? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who knows......maybe Dorka with an impressive showing in practice could replace Liv as the starter. Or it would instill in Liv to be more competitive in her senior year. Another school of thought is that if Dorka becomes an impact player to Geno's liking off of the bench and makes those layups inside that Liv seems to miss, around the basket, she could be interpreted as different kind of usefull player inside.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It is my sincere desire that Dorka’s addition to UConn’s roster is an unqualified success. But I do have concerns in adding a transfer to UConn’s already loaded team. Specifically, I am concerned about the potential consequences to the roster down the road when a logjam for PT is created, as well as the possibility that the development of talented young players is slowed due to a lack of PT. Hopefully, my concerns are not warranted and everything will work itself out.
I am fairly certain Geno is focused on one thing ... winning #12. All other concerns are background noise. If he has a traffic jam of talent, it will be better to find the 7-8-9 trusted players he needs to win #12.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who knows......maybe Dorka with an impressive showing in practice could replace Liv as the starter. Or it would instill in Liv to be more competitive in her senior year. Another school of thought is that if Dorka becomes an impact player to Geno's liking off of the bench and makes those layups inside that Liv seems to miss, around the basket, she could be interpreted as different kind of usefull player inside.

My wife and I were just talking about this. Liv is a smart girl. In the back of her head, when she heard Dorka was coming, she had to of had a light bulb click on. Her Senior year is wide open. Up to her how it plays out. I'm hoping she kills it!

Reaction Score
the addition of DJ clearly makes the front court stronger but it was not an absolute necessity with DeBerry joining the team...........I think the calls for DJ to start over ONO were certainly a bit premature......
Your first comment is it, in a nutshell. It makes us stronger but was not necessary. I fully expected Amari to be a way above average backup C from day one. Then after a year or so, be a way above average starter as she learns the ropes. Some of the great teams have super backup bigs, last year we did with undersized PF's in Griffin and even Mir, but not with a true C backup.

With Dorka, Amari doesn't have to be counted on in her freshmen year, but can still compete for that playing time if she earns it. Geno has far more style combinations he can work with, can press if he wants, and our ability to survive an injury without much drop off is greatly enhanced. Clearly the prospects for next year's team is better.

There is however a potential down side further down the road. Loyalty is a two way street, when you recruit a player, both sides probably feel a sense of that to each other. If it starts to appear like you recruit a very good player, and once she signs, immediately try to upgrade or replace her in the next class, then someone who is 10th or 15th in her class may be more hesitant to come here. With the new transfer rules that kind of loyalty may go out the window anyway, but whenever we land a recruit, I like to pencil that player into our plans for four years, instead of potentially considering them a short term rental if they are not a superstar.

The Uconn program and it's players get high marks on the character related issues, but I hope we don't become somewhat of a revolving door like so many other programs. So far we haven't been, so time will tell. It can also help if Geno at least tries to find some minutes whether they are critical ones or not, for as much of our talented bench as possible. He hints at more of a pressing style and more versatility in using his roster next year, and I am hoping to see that.

Reaction Score
The calls for ONO to improve have been persistent (since 2019 actually) and had nothing to do with DJ or DeBerry. How much longer were people expecting Geno to wait?
you may be one of the folks that consider her a bust but I certainly don't...........she's never going to be a physical low post banger like Charli Collier or Boston but if she played 30 plus minutes per game her numbers would be as good as any post player in the nation..........defensively she has been very good and her passing and screening on the offensive end are first rate.............it's her finishing at the basket against stronger opponents that's her major issue and what the coaches should be working on this summer.........and yes she needs to develop more confidence and aggression but she's come a long way in my opinion..............as I said in an earlier post. UConn shouldn't need her to score all that much next season with Fudd adding 15-20 points per game but I bet we see ONO and Edwards both get more open chances as defenses are stretched against the outside shooting barrage coming their way........BTW I can envision ONO and DJ playing at the same time just as Edwards and ONO did this past season.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom