Did everyone hear Meg Culmo re: Paige? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Did everyone hear Meg Culmo re: Paige?

Reaction Score
Sorry if I missed it, but will someone please give the concrete answer on Azzi's injury & actual timetable to return.

I read the whole thread and there are lots of references without an answer - at least that I saw.

Similar on Paige - is the February reference hopeful or factual for actual playing time versus we'll wait & see pending additional medical evaluation?

Reaction Score
Several opinions on who plays at the guard positions (1-3) when everyone is back. I think of it from the standpoint of the most effective combinations, not who are the best players. In addition to tired players in the fourth quarter, when shorthanded we have seen that this team needs a true point guard on the floor at all times, Paige or Nika, but not Evina in that role. For now when Evina and Nika are both in the game with Christyn or Caroline. Nika not Evina should be the point.

When I see Evina running the point and Nika standing in the corner I say why? Evina is the better 3 pt shooter/scorer, and Nika is the better passer, it seems obvious to me and Geno has had Nika more in that role the last game, but initially when she came back he had Nika as a spot up three point shooter in the corner.

Other than a true point guard at all times, at least once Paige returns, the other minimum requirement is at least one great three point shooter, and we should try for two as much as possible. That could be difficult because Evina, Christyn, and Nika are just ok. When they are in the game together, which we have to do occasionally now when Caroline gets a blow. We don't have anybody who scares the defense from outside and then the inside game dries up too.

One great outside shooter is still pretty easy to defend. To get two we would have to have two out of three from Paige, Azzi and Caroline on the floor, with only one from Christyn, Evina and Nika at the same time. That would mess with certain lineup combinations we are used to using, but I think to get back to an offense that is difficult to defend, and allows us to open up the inside, one true point guard and two big time shooters is necessary.

Geno doesn't have those options now, but Caroline has earned his trust, Azzi might do it soon, and when Paige comes back, putting shooters on the floor will be possible. If Christyn and Evina are getting well over 30 minutes a game as we head into the tournament, I fear we may be more pretenders than contenders, because the relative team weakness of outside shooting will still be there, and the bigs won't have room to operate.

Reaction Score
Sorry if I missed it, but will someone please give the concrete answer on Azzi's injury & actual timetable to return.

I read the whole thread and there are lots of references without an answer - at least that I saw.

Similar on Paige - is the February reference hopeful or factual for actual playing time versus we'll wait & see pending additional medical evaluation?

Azzi - no boot. Running on the treadmill.

Paige - no crutches, rehabbing. Feb 8 is an assumption

That’s all there is

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Because you always take someone with high offensive potential over someone with limited potential.
Last played a season 2 years ago. Nika healthy has started, Geno's call for most of UConns games. If you can hit a few threes but allow more, provide no intensity and grit, who do you think Geno plays?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Again, I wonder at the realism of posts like this.
What is 100% for a player who hasn’t played in a couple of years and outside of one game where the opposition essentially let her play H-O-R-S-E has looked like she doesn’t belong on the court? One who had to be shut down on 11/5, a week shy of two months ago and is just now running, not on a court, but on a treadmill? No lateral movement, no stopping and starting, no cutting, no jumping, nothing remotely simulating basketball, never mind fast paced, physical ultra competitive basketball? Especially for one who had problems keeping up with the game when supposedly healthy?
I hope for the young ladies sake she can play in a month, but again, I offer, what is 100% in such a situation, a miraculous return to highlight reel level play from a couple of years ago? D1 high level basketball is not matching shots with Steph Curry.
As for Bueckers, she is still in a brace, just having come off crutches. She has been operated on and has been physically inactive since 12/5; to think she will be ready to play by 2/7 seems a stretch and again what will 100% be for her?
I suppose I am beating a dead horse but optimistic opinions and wishful thinking is certainly your prerogative but Uconn has a team now trying to compete and get better. With all due respect, to say the rest of the season isn’t as important as getting Bueckers and Fudd back seems borderline disrespectful to the current players and a tad unfair, unrealistic expectations to put on both those inactive players.
Since you mentioned Stephon Curry...I think it is germane to mention Clay Thompson who missed over 900 days with injuries comes back and is driving the hole, shooting threes, pull up jumpers scoring 17 points on his debut return day and 15 points his second game. These are elite athletes, they have their procedure, they rehab and are closely watched when they are cleared to return the only thing standing between them and a 100 percent recovery is the 6 inches between their ears. A lot of the return to form is psychological, their is residual fear of going down again. I don't believe the trainers will clear them unless they believe that at least physically they are ready to return. As a precaution there may very well be some limited minutes in order to observe their body's response to game play. The mental part is an individual thing and varies from player to player. Let's all hope that both Azzi and Paige are in game shape and can help us in March as we will certainly need it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I read your comment with an incredulous smile. I could be mistaken, but wasn't it impressive when Meg was talking about Geno's monochromatic dressing habits today. There are times when she is calling the game where she can be quite sesquipedalian. Some people just want to hear about the game and not vocabulary is all I am getting at. This ties into the original theme of the thread where people were talking about what Meg said...
Monochromatic is a 50 cent word? Must be inflation :rolleyes:

Using one word instead of an entire phrase or sentence is just good sense. It was TV, not a chat in Geno’s living room, so Meg has got to speak with some sort of brevity or the segment gets boring.

Reaction Score
Since you mentioned Stephon Curry...I think it is germane to mention Clay Thompson who missed over 900 days with injuries comes back and is driving the hole, shooting threes, pull up jumpers scoring 17 points on his debut return day and 15 points his second game. These are elite athletes, they have their procedure, they rehab and are closely watched when they are cleared to return the only thing standing between them and a 100 percent recovery is the 6 inches between their ears. A lot of the return to form is psychological, their is residual fear of going down again. I don't believe the trainers will clear them unless they believe that at least physically they are ready to return. As a precaution there may very well be some limited minutes in order to observe their body's response to game play. The mental part is an individual thing and varies from player to player. Let's all hope that both Azzi and Paige are in game shape and can help us in March as we will certainly need it.
And how long was Clay Thompson out, 900 days? Well you prove my point, I NEVER said I thought Bueckers and Fudd COULDN’T come back, I posted the time frame and expectations posters had for their play upon return was overly optimistic IMO but I guess that point got lost in translation.
Let’s just get back to posting how great they are, and just wait for them to come charging in to save the day, Mighty Mouse style, my bad.

Reaction Score
Last played a season 2 years ago. Nika healthy has started, Geno's call for most of UConns games. If you can hit a few threes but allow more, provide no intensity and grit, who do you think Geno plays?
Yikes. CD provides no intensity or grit? (Or are you talking about someone else?)

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
And how long was Clay Thompson out, 900 days? Well you prove my point, I NEVER said I thought Bueckers and Fudd COULDN’T come back, I posted the time frame and expectations posters had for their play upon return was overly optimistic IMO but I guess that point got lost in translation.
Let’s just get back to posting how great they are, and just wait for them to come charging in to save the day, Mighty Mouse style, my bad.
Yikes. CD provides no intensity or grit? (Or are you talking about someone else?)
Who last played a full season 2 years ago?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
So let's see now...Clay Thompson's injuries were a torn ACL in 2019 which caused him to miss the entirety of the 2019 - 2020 season and then he suffered a torn Achilles tendon and missed the entirety of the 2020 - 2021 season...a total of 31 months. A recovery that was well within the prognosis for an elite athlete to return.

Paige's injury on the other hand, was much less severe...in fact, The college basketball world breathed a collective sigh of relief after UConn finally revealed the extend of Paige Bueckers’ knee injury. It was revealed that the injury was a tibial plateau fracture, which was the reason people were a bit relieved. "Basically what happened is the two leg bones clunked together.. when you hyperextend [your knee], those bones knock together. The plateau is just the flat top of that bone, & so it cracks" During he surgery to repair the Tibial Plateau fracture it was found that there was a slight tear in the medial meniscus. Her medical team put her return following surgery at 8 weeks which is the beginning of February. And, according to recent reports there is no reason to change the prognosis.

So frankly Littlemin, I don't think anything got lost in the translation...since we both speak English. I don't think I proved any point yours or otherwise. I was simply offering some hope that given the extent of her injuries that an early February return and a healthy, productive Paige Bueckers in March is not out of the question.

On another note, I think there is a silver lining for this team. There was too much dependence on Paige...people standing around and letting her shoulder the load. Paige's injury along with Azzi Fudd's and Nika Muhl's has given the rest of the team a sense of urgency...a sort of "if it is meant to be it is up to me" attitude. Something that I think was sorely missing and will pay dividends in March when the team is healthy again. Caroline's emergence as a 2nd, 3rd option scorer and descent defender was needed. Dorka has found her sea legs...Olivia Nelson-Ododa is showing that she is as good as the hype and Williams has decided to play aggressively. Edwards is slowly coming back into form...maybe she was suffering from the Sophomore slump. Evina is Evina...provides leadership and hitting shots when needed...I am still worried about her defense as players seem to blow by her. Geno is able to give DeBerry and Gabriel more minutes which are crucial if they are going to develop and lastly, UConn just seems to play better when Nika is on the floor.

When the Floor general (Paige) returns and Madame Automatic is back on the court...I think there won't be a team in the nation who wants to be in UConn's brackett.

Reaction Score
So let's see now...Clay Thompson's injuries were a torn ACL in 2019 which caused him to miss the entirety of the 2019 - 2020 season and then he suffered a torn Achilles tendon and missed the entirety of the 2020 - 2021 season...a total of 31 months. A recovery that was well within the prognosis for an elite athlete to return.

Paige's injury on the other hand, was much less severe...in fact, The college basketball world breathed a collective sigh of relief after UConn finally revealed the extend of Paige Bueckers’ knee injury. It was revealed that the injury was a tibial plateau fracture, which was the reason people were a bit relieved. "Basically what happened is the two leg bones clunked together.. when you hyperextend [your knee], those bones knock together. The plateau is just the flat top of that bone, & so it cracks" During he surgery to repair the Tibial Plateau fracture it was found that there was a slight tear in the medial meniscus. Her medical team put her return following surgery at 8 weeks which is the beginning of February. And, according to recent reports there is no reason to change the prognosis.

So frankly Littlemin, I don't think anything got lost in the translation...since we both speak English. I don't think I proved any point yours or otherwise. I was simply offering some hope that given the extent of her injuries that an early February return and a healthy, productive Paige Bueckers in March is not out of the question.

On another note, I think there is a silver lining for this team. There was too much dependence on Paige...people standing around and letting her shoulder the load. Paige's injury along with Azzi Fudd's and Nika Muhl's has given the rest of the team a sense of urgency...a sort of "if it is meant to be it is up to me" attitude. Something that I think was sorely missing and will pay dividends in March when the team is healthy again. Caroline's emergence as a 2nd, 3rd option scorer and descent defender was needed. Dorka has found her sea legs...Olivia Nelson-Ododa is showing that she is as good as the hype and Williams has decided to play aggressively. Edwards is slowly coming back into form...maybe she was suffering from the Sophomore slump. Evina is Evina...provides leadership and hitting shots when needed...I am still worried about her defense as players seem to blow by her. Geno is able to give DeBerry and Gabriel more minutes which are crucial if they are going to develop and lastly, UConn just seems to play better when Nika is on the floor.

When the Floor general (Paige) returns and Madame Automatic is back on the court...I think there won't be a team in the nation who wants to be in UConn's brackett.
You know what, this is exactly the type of post that makes me laugh; “The college basketball world breathed a collective sigh of relief”; honestly give me a break, Bueckers is a player, a really good player, but the WCBB sun does not rise and set on her.
You compared her injury to a totally irrelevant one and now you continue by giving a medical analysis, I am assuming in real life you are her doctor. On top of that you offered precisely why her injury was actually a good thing!! Who knew?
I merely offered an opinion so spare me please. I have sinned and now have come to my senses that the world isn’t going to stop spinning on its axis because Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd will be ready to conquer the WBB world in February. Hallelujah and praise the Lord!!!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
To begin with Littlemin...it was you who initiated the question as to whether or not the medical prognosis of her returning in early February was premature. I quoted the Hartford Courant's article with "The college basketball world breathed a collective sigh of relief". If you have a problem with that quote take it up with the author of the article. Furthermore get off your high horse your condescending attitude is noted and found lacking. Most of us here are UConn fans and Paige is our marquee player. In huskyland the sun does rise and fall on our players you don't like it too bad.

You were the one who equated Clay Thompson's injuries and his 31 month recovery with Paige Buecker's far less severe injury but don't let those facts get in the way of a poor attempt to malign me personally. No, I am not a doctor nor do I profess to be one...however, I can read, hopefully, you can too and the prognosis in print is that her injuries were not as severe as often is the case when a female college basketball player goes down with a knee injury. So, the so-called collective sigh of relief was relative to how severe the injury could have been.

Your opinion was noted, and an opposing opinion was offered. There was nothing personal on this end as I simply pointed out that there was nothing wrong with the expectation of a return of Paige Bueckers in early February. It seems that you have a problem with anyone disagreeing with your opinion. Since opinions are just that I would suggest you chilling out and take your own advice and enjoy the women and their play and as far as I can see...I know Mighty Mouse and you sir are no Mighty Mouse.

And, here is the good news...we won't have to wait too long to see who is right. Today is the 16th...so, we are looking at about 3 weeks. Do you think you can wait that long or must you carry on with this nonsense.

Reaction Score
You think? Come on, that was not the point of my post at all.
My point is that the idea of “waiting” for them to return and “save the day” is unrealistic IMO. Of course disagree if you feel differently but then give me your opinion as to when and why you think they will get to 100% prior to the NCAA’s. With no real info as to either situation, I could certainly be wrong but I just don’t see it.
Littlemin, I wasn't criticizing your post. What I was trying to say, perhaps poorly, was that Geno will know when they are ready to play and when they are at 100%. Neither you nor I would know in advance. "Give me your opinion..." is pretty much worthless speculation on either of our parts.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
idk that’s why i asked…
who are you talking about provides no intensity and grit?
Azzi hasn't played in 2 years. And since she, at this time, is an unknown as to intensity and grit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom