Did Anyone Watch Tenn. vs UNC ? | The Boneyard

Did Anyone Watch Tenn. vs UNC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score

I stayed up and watched the Tarheels host the Vols.........I didn't see anything , and I mean anything , that the Huskies have to fear. I was pulling for the Lady Vols. Not that I am a Tennessee fan , because I am not , I just dislike the ACC more.

UNC does not have a senior on the team I don't believe. A young squad and it showed. DeShields had a not so good game offensively but showed tremendous athleticism in a 81-65 loss. Tennessee on the other hand played a typical Vol game. Run and shoot ( Meighan Simmons). Mercedes Russell IS TALL !! A little slow and methodical. But long.

Its the start of the season I know , but if we meet either team in the NCAA's the Huskies have nothing to fear but fear itself.

JMHO.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yes, I saw a Tar Heels team play like their hair was on fire. I couldn't watch the whole thing.

Reaction Score
I saw another thread with 90 replies, so I guess a few people did.

If Tennessee is the #4 team in the country it is a weak year. The game was 40 minutes of garbage time. UNC has some talent, but they are out of control. DeSheilds is a good athlete, however at best, a streak shooter.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I lasted about ten minutes. TN looked like TN and UNC looked like a more disorganized version of themselves. Some good players on the floor on both sides but not a whole lot of coaching on display.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
It could have been a blessing,that Diamond did not come to Connecticut.IMO,she has a lot to learn about the concept of team ball,and how and where to improve.She looked above average to me,but not great.Again,IMO,I think getting Chong was a better fit for UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game so I have this one question to ask? Who was the least impressive player between the 2013 1a and 1B rated recruits Russell and DeShields?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That crossover lay up by Reynolds was sweet.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kenny Kallina @KennyKallina
This North Carolina / Tennessee game is setting the sport back several years ... Awful to watch
It's one thing when UCONN fans say that, because of their obvious dislike of Tennessee, but when talent evaluators like Kenny observe the same thing, and have no horse in any of the races, it says something about the game. Fortunately for Tennessee, as bad as their guards shot vs. MTSU, they were on fire vs. UNC.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It could have been a blessing,that Diamond did not come to Connecticut.IMO,she has a lot to learn about the concept of team ball,and how and where to improve.She looked above average to me,but not great.Again,IMO,I think getting Chong was a better fit for UConn basketball.
Yeah, but it would have been fun to watch an irresistible force (DD) meet an immovable object (Geno/CD). :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Both teams have a lot of growing up to do before they are ready for big time college BB. Some players need to change the way they think, approach the game, and take the "I" out of team. The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and thinking things will change. Enough said.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I stayed up and watched the Tarheels host the Vols.........I didn't see anything , and I mean anything , that the Huskies have to fear. I was pulling for the Lady Vols. Not that I am a Tennessee fan , because I am not , I just dislike the ACC more.

UNC does not have a senior on the team I don't believe. A young squad and it showed. DeShields had a not so good game offensively but showed tremendous athleticism in a 81-65 loss. Tennessee on the other hand played a typical Vol game. Run and shoot ( Meighan Simmons). Mercedes Russell IS TALL !! A little slow and methodical. But long.

Its the start of the season I know , but if we meet either team in the NCAA's the Huskies have nothing to fear but fear itself.

JMHO.

And scoring 2 points in 7 minutes was better? For all teams that I've seen play here in November, there is work to be done. No one is excluded from this need to improve alot. No team looked good for the entire game. Some teams had spurts of looking very good. Most teams have new players that they are trying to involve in the game plan. It takes time for all teams to develop into the team they will be by season's end. Many coaches are also working through several line ups in attempts to determine which line ups give the best chance for success. It's the 2nd game of the season with freshmen adjusting to the college game. It should be expected. No team was perfect.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I also think you have to cut UNC a little slack - a large class of talented freshman and a coaching situation that is all screwed up is not a formula for good November basketball. I do think it reminded me of a HS All Star game in that no one seemed to interested in defense, running real offense, or if they even knew the names of all their teammates. Just run and gun.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"The young team did a lot of things well against a tough opponent. Ball movement was excellent against a strong defense, and the Heels swarmed Tennessee on the other end of the floor, forcing 24 turnovers. The teams played at a pace that would tire a Roy Williams team, with 85 possessions. Carolina had almost all the parts in place to pull off the upset."

"They just couldn't make any shots." :rolleyes:

LINK

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee had a little more experienced team last night. Is 2-0 now just go on to the next game.

Reaction Score
I also think you have to cut UNC a little slack - a large class of talented freshman and a coaching situation that is all screwed up is not a formula for good November basketball. I do think it reminded me of a HS All Star game in that no one seemed to interested in defense, running real offense, or if they even knew the names of all their teammates. Just run and gun.
I agree that the circumstances at UNC are not the best, with the above mentioned large freshman class and their coach dealing with her illness but UNC has never been a very well coached disciplined team in my estimation. They've always had loads of talent but the vast majority of the time they've played out of control, relying on their athleticism to "win the day". That doesn't work out too well most of the time when your opponent has talented and athletic players that are well coached. That's one of the reasons I couldn't understand all these girls deciding to jump on the bandwagon and become part of that unbelievable class they had last year. For their coach to get into the Hall Of Fame only suggests that her recruiting skills are wonderful and they play the vast majority of their games against vastly inferior talent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UNC is a young team that is playing without their head coach. Tennessee did what it needed to do, win. That said, it didn't seem we have much to fear from either team this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree that the circumstances at UNC are not the best, with the above mentioned large freshman class and their coach dealing with her illness but UNC has never been a very well coached disciplined team in my estimation. They've always had loads of talent but the vast majority of the time they've played out of control, relying on their athleticism to "win the day". That doesn't work out too well most of the time when your opponent has talented and athletic players that are well coached. That's one of the reasons I couldn't understand all these girls deciding to jump on the bandwagon and become part of that unbelievable class they had last year. For their coach to get into the Hall Of Fame only suggests that her recruiting skills are wonderful and they play the vast majority of their games against vastly inferior talent.
Agree re coaching at UNC and was just making the point that freshman thrown into a disorganized coaching situation due to illness shouldn't be held to too high a standard at the moment.
I do agree some coaches have arrived in the HOF more due to longevity than great skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom