OT: - Did anyone go to uconn in the early 70's? (I am on a mission to find a lost bar) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Did anyone go to uconn in the early 70's? (I am on a mission to find a lost bar)

Reaction Score
I wish I was born a few years earlier. I only got to hit Shaboo a few times just before they closed down in 1982... Saw the Blushing Brides (excellent Stones tribute) and Joan Jett. One particular crazy weekend was Fountainhead at the ROTC hangar along with 50 or so kegs on Friday and NRBQ at Shaboo on Saturday.
Best was October 1975 Fleetwood Mac opening for Renaissance in the Field House - very quickly became Renaissance who? Had front row because a friend helped set up for the show.

Reaction Score
Not the Shaboo I know which was in the woods off 195 in Mansfield. Greatest bar and music venue. Saw lots of great shows there. Then mysteriously it burnt to the ground.
Must have been a hot place.

Reaction Score
Best was October 1975 Fleetwood Mac opening for Renaissance in the Field House - very quickly became Renaissance who? Had front row because a friend helped set up for the show.
Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie. Ain't nuthin' better.

Reaction Score
if it was a Bar why would you buy tickets from the Alpine Haus. Alpine haus was a ski shop in the Pizza House plaza
I thought about that too, but then I remembered that people used to cash their checks at a liquor store and I decided not to question it.

Reaction Score
My father went to Uconn in the late 60s-early 70s and he frequently talks about a bar ,that was located behind the old Kathy John's, called "The Barn". I've never been able to track this place's existence. Does anyone have any info on this place?
There was a bar/grill called the The Barn in a barn in Willington during the early seventies. The barn burned down, not sure if it was still open when it burned. In a liberal sense it could be have been described as in the woods behind Kathy Johns. However it was a good 5 miles east-north-east of Four Corners. If you go east on RT 44, took a left on Marsh Road, it was located on the north side of Daleville School Road at the end of Marsh Road. At the time it always felt like you were in the middle of nowhere going there. I don't remember it as a music venue per se, but they did have solo acts or duets. One of my brother in laws, a singer songwriter dobro player played there. I was working as a carpenter at the time, we would go there often because we knew the owners. I drove by there yesterday, there is a large residential building on the property now. Haven't thought about the Barn for quite sometime, thank your dad for bringing it back on my radar.

Reaction Score
There was a bar/grill called the The Barn in a barn in Willington during the early seventies. The barn burned down, not sure if it was still open when it burned. In a liberal sense it could be have been described as in the woods behind Kathy Johns. However it was a good 5 miles east-north-east of Four Corners. If you go east on RT 44, took a left on Marsh Road, it was located on the north side of Daleville School Road at the end of Marsh Road. At the time it always felt like you were in the middle of nowhere going there. I don't remember it as a music venue per se, but they did have solo acts or duets. One of my brother in laws, a singer songwriter dobro player played there. I was working as a carpenter at the time, we would go there often because we knew the owners. I drove by there yesterday, there is a large residential building on the property now. Haven't thought about the Barn for quite sometime, thank your dad for bringing it back on my radar.
I love this! Yeah I think the years brought the bar closer to Kathy John's in memory. Your description makes perfect sense. I will share it with dad. Good work

Reaction Score
Ali John, the owner of the Eagleville Package Store and his son were part owners of Shaboo....he also had a late nite dinner there where he served Cheese Burg Grinders late into the nite and early morning. Those grinders prevented many a hangover! We lived behind the little red schoolhouse at the corner of S Eagleville Rd and Rte 32 in the early 70s and frequented both the packie and his diner all the time...

Shaboo was just a great venue. Was very sad when it burned down

Reaction Score
There was also an after hours diner on Main St. In Willi called Bill's No. 7. One man show. All the cleared flatware, plates and cups he put in bus buckets for the dishwasher later on. He was waiter cook and cashier. Never wrote anything down. Knew what each customer had at the register...

Reaction Score
There was also an after hours diner on Main St. In Willi called Bill's No. 7. One man show. All the cleared flatware, plates and cups he put in bus buckets for the dishwasher later on. He was waiter cook and cashier. Never wrote anything down. Knew what each customer had at the register...
Yep! We would go there if Ali John's diner had closed for the night!

Reaction Score
Somehow I never realized that the archives of the Daily Campus were available online.

Thanks @Jaydumo20 i now know what I’ll be doing all weekend

Reaction Score
Literally a story as old as time

Attachments

• E6043A12-C427-4EE2-9900-018FA6B26FFE.png
    E6043A12-C427-4EE2-9900-018FA6B26FFE.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 181
Reaction Score
What a great memory! Greasy eggs, bacon, home fries and buttered white bread toast! No such thing as whole wheat or sourdough! And a decent cup of coffee!

Reaction Score
What a great memory! Greasy eggs, bacon, home fries and buttered white bread toast! No such thing as whole wheat or sourdough! And a decent cup of coffee!
It was entertaining watching him work. Amazing. I attended UConn again in the early 80's and not sure if I was then but
there was a truck called Irma's parked in the lot across from Material Science in the evenings that made great cheesburger grinders. Could have been just a weekend thing.

Reaction Score
It was entertaining watching him work. Amazing. I attended UConn again in the early 80's and not sure if I was then but
there was a truck called Irma's parked in the lot across from Material Science in the evenings that made great cheesburger grinders. Could have been just a weekend thing.
Went to Irma's in the mid to late seventies many times as I lived in the Jungle, then Frats before moving off campus - great grinders.

Reaction Score
We used to call him "Fast Eddie"!

Reaction Score
My father went to Uconn in the late 60s-early 70s and he frequently talks about a bar ,that was located behind the old Kathy John's, called "The Barn". I've never been able to track this place's existence. Does anyone have any info on this place?
May be lost in translation, but just north of Kathy John's across from the firehouse is a place, now closed that looks like a barn. Many names through the years, Twisters, Thumpers, Two Steps? Just a thought.

Reaction Score
There are/were a few barn like buildings in the area. The one you mentioned (I remember it as two steps), Chuck's, and the the actual barn bar that was 3-5 miles behind Kathy on 44 off of Marsh Road. The lifetime if the barn bar seems to have been from about 1970-1974 from my best estimate. Such a snapshot in time I'm shocked any one on here actually has a memory of it. It burned down in 74 I believe.

Reaction Score
There are/were a few barn like buildings in the area. The one you mentioned (I remember it as two steps), Chuck's, and the the actual barn bar that was 3-5 miles behind Kathy on 44 off of Marsh Road. The lifetime if the barn bar seems to have been from about 1970-1974 from my best estimate. Such a snapshot in time I'm shocked any one on here actually has a memory of it. It burned down in 74 I believe.
I certainly remember both! Fun times at each place!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom