Did anyone ever figure out what the technical on Olivia was? | The Boneyard

Did anyone ever figure out what the technical on Olivia was?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Did anyone ever figure out what the technical on Olivia was? Just wondering.

Reaction Score
I watched the replay and noticed that when the ref was speaking to GA, he swatted his hand to the side like he was showing GA what Liv did to deserve the tech. So I watched it another 2 times and have no idea what the ref was going on about.

If this was the standard, then we would have the coaches playing the second half since all the players would be T-ed up and out of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I also watched the replay and I doubt it was anything physical. She brought down a defensive rebound and had 3 Butler players harassing her. They blew the whistle. She turned and I think she said something because a few seconds after the 1st whistle came the 2nd whistle and the T.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Since it's clear Olivia did nothing physical to draw the T
It's like that after being mauled by three opposing players on one play,
she said something like..."It's about time you f--n, a--h--es made a call.
Actually, pretty funny.

EIt: One abbreviation was dis-allowed...very funny.

Reaction Score
I also watched the replay and I doubt it was anything physical. She brought down a defensive rebound and had 3 Butler players harassing her. They blew the whistle. She turned and I think she said something because a few seconds after the 1st whistle came the 2nd whistle and the T.
I thought the foul was against Butler bigs but but who knew? Butler did double/triple team Liv a lot in the first half, they had a harder time doing that when Edwards was on the floor. Two bigs seemed better than one.........

Reaction Score
I think it wasn't Dee; I believe it might have been Saif Esho who made the call. Am I wrong?

This is the kind of situation where we miss having people in stands reporting back here.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Pretty sure it couldn't have been verbal because I am pretty sure it was the guy at mid court who called it. I think it was called because Liv was 'forceful' in disengaging from the other players - and the ref decided from mid court that that was a violent act. I believe the other two officials were shocked that he called a T.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Pretty sure it couldn't have been verbal because I am pretty sure it was the guy at mid court who called it. I think it was called because Liv was 'forceful' in disengaging from the other players - and the ref decided from mid court that that was a violent act. I believe the other two officials were shocked that he called a T.
I believe this is the correct path. If you watch what they show of Geno getting an explanation the ref first does a swatty hand gesture. Later you can hear Geno say "NO! that's not a Technical Foul!!!"
I doubt Geno would have said that if it were because Liv swore.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm guessing it was Dee Kantner looking for more air time. :mad:
While truly funny, they said during the broadcast it was the other woman official, not Dee, who call the foul. Geno was "discussing" the call with the male official which Meg thought was funny.

Reaction Score
Were the announcers at the game? I suspect not, which means they’re not going to get a direct explanation from the officials. They see what we see and that’s about it.

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I usually listen to the radio broadcast and then watch there replay, so I can recall which announcers said that Dee was surprised. Usually, when the announcers are on press row, the officials go them and offer explanations.

As for the reporters, they too are limited by remote coverage and questioning. They're smart. Doubt anyone wants to waste their precious moments of air time to ask a question about a call that had no impact on the game. (I'd bet during in-person work, they'd have gotten an answer in the press conference or after during the gaggle.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Were the announcers at the game? I suspect not, which means they’re not going to get a direct explanation from the officials. They see what we see and that’s about it.
I'm pretty sure that the SNY broadcast team was on-site. However they are usually not close to the court this season and thus, do not get direct information.

Reaction Score
On Geno, for the ugly red shirt. I know why he wore it, but Butler players complained were distracted by it.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

I believe this is the correct path. If you watch what they show of Geno getting an explanation the ref first does a swatty hand gesture. Later you can hear Geno say "NO! that's not a Technical Foul!!!"
I doubt Geno would have said that if it were because Liv swore.
Actually to build on this If that ref for whatever reason called a foul on Liv for some type of "swatty move" after the whistle had blown that foul is a dead ball foul and I believe automatically becomes a technical foul. Someone correct me if I am wrong but to me that explains the sequence of events as baffling such a call seems to be based on our TV view.

Reaction Score
Actually to build on this If that ref for whatever reason called a foul on Liv for some type of "swatty move" after the whistle had blown that foul is a dead ball foul and I believe automatically becomes a technical foul. Someone correct me if I am wrong but to me that explains the sequence of events as baffling such a call seems to be based on our TV view.
You are right, it is either a technical or flagrant and obviously whatever happened wasn’t flagrant. Very possible you are reading what happened correctly.

Reaction Score
This explanation would seem to be one of the more probable explanation except for Geno's reaction. If it was some kind of a dead ball thing that automatically becomes a technical foul Geno would be well aware of that rule and would not have reacted like he did.

Reaction Score
That guy won’t be refereeing UCONN games again.?

Reaction Score
On Geno, for the ugly red shirt. I know why he wore it, but Butler players complained were distracted by it.
Did Butler players really complain about Geno’s shirt?

Reaction Score
In general, I thought it was one of the two most poorly refereed games that UCONN dealth with this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom