Dicky V, ESPN Extend Contract Through 2024 | The Boneyard

Dicky V, ESPN Extend Contract Through 2024

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Also said he wants to call games when he’s 100.

I just love Dicky V, I don’t care about the homerism. Pretty cool the level of passion he has and charitable work he does, even at age 81.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I just love Dicky V, I don’t care about the homerism. Pretty cool the level of passion he has and charitable work he does, even at age 81.

Dick Groat did color for Pitt hoops for 50 years. The last five or so were excruciatingly painful. He retired in 2019 at 89, thankfully.

Reaction Score
"Its gonna be a nail-biter."
college basketball hype GIF by ESPN

Reaction Score
i Wonder if they fly him around on a private jet to make things easier to do games?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Man, Vitale is going to so bummed when management comes up to him and yells April Fools!

Reaction Score
i Wonder if they fly him around on a private jet to make things easier to do games?
Well, with Covid, they made it so its easier to call games remotely. I wonder if thats something they will do with him?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Dickie V calling games is a joke. Whatever, let him keep being the ACC poster boy. That conference continues to become a shell of itself... just like Dickie V himself... very fitting. I won't be watching those games anyways.

I was really impressed this year with how good Raftery still is at calling games at his age. Although both Raf and Dickie V are much older and past their prime, Raf has shown the ability to stay coherent and still deliver good calls and analysis. Dickie V is glaringly out of his element now calling games.

Reaction Score
Dickie V calling games is a joke. Whatever, let him keep being the ACC poster boy. That conference continues to become a shell of itself... just like Dickie V himself... very fitting. I won't be watching those games anyways.

I was really impressed this year with how good Raftery still is at calling games at his age. Although both Raf and Dickie V are much older and past their prime, Raf has shown the ability to stay coherent and still deliver good calls and analysis. Dickie V is glaringly out of his element now calling games.

These posts crack me up.

Reaction Score

You miss the point. He's a jovial personality, a bit of fun with his "diaper dandys kind of shtick. That's what he brings to it. Would you rather have a Billy Packer clone, dry as dust? The hard core fans will watch whoever does the games but adding Dickie makes for a lighter touch, translates to dollars on ads. He's made ESPN a lot of money and he is grateful as he sits in his 17,000 foot home in Lakewood Ranch.

Reaction Score
You miss the point. He's a jovial personality, a bit of fun with his "diaper dandys kind of shtick. That's what he brings to it. Would you rather have a Billy Packer clone, dry as dust? The hard core fans will watch whoever does the games but adding Dickie makes for a lighter touch, translates to dollars on ads. He's made ESPN a lot of money and he is grateful as he sits in his 17,000 foot home in Lakewood Ranch.
I'll always like Dickie V. because I remember when UConn was coming up, he showed us love.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I am just astounded that you are all college basketball fans and have this level of hatred for Dicky V.... for someone so positive and injects so much life into the game. Maybe it’s because I’m probably younger and I grew up listening to him and he’s just synonymous with the sport so I haven’t had as much time to grow sick of him?

But last I checked he just loves college basketball, and respects UConn.

Did his basketball opinions threaten your family or something?

Reaction Score
I am just astounded that you are all college basketball fans and have this level of hatred for Dicky V.... for someone so positive and injects so much life into the game. Maybe it’s because I’m probably younger and I grew up listening to him and he’s just synonymous with the sport so I haven’t had as much time to grow sick of him?

But last I checked he just loves college basketball, and respects UConn.

Did his basketball opinions threaten your family or something?
No it’s his inability to separate his mouth from Coach K’s nads that does it for me.

Plus he has zero insight and hasn’t had an original thought since they cut a hole in the bottom of the peach basket.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Then leave him in the studio. He shouldn't be calling games.

Reaction Score
No it’s his inability to separate his mouth from Coach K’s nads that does it for me.

Plus he has zero insight and hasn’t had an original thought since they cut a hole in the bottom of the peach basket.
That would be the one point that I agree with, his slavish devotion to K and Duke but they were successful getting recruits and on in prime spots forever. It was Duke and North Carolina. My question is what is this great insight that any of these guys bring to the games? The wheel has been invented.

Reaction Score
The same cohort that can tolerate Dickie V probably likes listening to Bill Walton babble on about hiking in the mountains while the play on the court is in full swing.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I don't care what anyone thinks, I like Dick Vitale. I remember in the 90's and early 00's, you knew it was a big game when Dickie V was on the call. I don't get the hate for a man that brings positivity to the game.
I don't like him because he's never been informed about the teams being broadcasted, unless it's a select few teams. Contrast that with Bill Raftery, who does his homework on every team.

Also, he doesn't like UConn. I don't think he hates UConn, but his indifference and too often ill-informed takes on the Huskies rub me the wrong way.

Reaction Score
Also, he doesn't like UConn. I don't think he hates UConn, but his indifference and too often ill-informed takes on the Huskies rub me the wrong way.

I have had a lengthy conversation with Dick Vitale about UConn. He is not a UConn hater by any stretch of the imagination. And I bet if you ran into him and wanted to chop it up he'd be more than happy to talk basketball.

I get that the guy's shtick gets old, but I think the complaints about his "analysis" are ridiculous. He's there to have a good time, sports are supposed to be fun. He's a happy, fun loving dude who people absolutely associate with college basketball and big time games. I prefer Raf like a lot of people on here do but the hatred of Dick Vitale is mystifying to me.

Reaction Score
Vitale was really good for the game in his day. His love and enthusiasm showed through. He has also done a lot for several good causes. Maybe as I became older myself I have become more jaded but he kind of annoys me now. He seems like Crazy Eddie from those old commercials. I don't dislike the guy or anything. He is just so contadictory now that he comes off as a bit of a phoney. He spends the entire year talking about Kentucky, Duke, Izzo, etc...and then on Selection Sunday cries for the little guy. He gets self righteous about some people/issues unless of course it involves one of his buddies. Then he defends them against all reason(like Pitino). There is an element of hypocrisy here that makes me roll my eyes at times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom