DI Council adopts new football recruiting model | The Boneyard

DI Council adopts new football recruiting model

Reaction Score
I don't see how a December signing day ends the circus. It just moves it forward to December.

The only way to stop the circus is to have an early signing day before the high school players senior season, in September. That way the kids who commit early are bound.

Reaction Score
Kids can always end the circus on their end by staying put. Teams that drop offers 2 weeks after season's end lose a scholly with the exception of a 2 week grace period for new coaches to decide to honor prior offers. Would end a lot of late flipping and dumping if you add in the early signees as mentioned above.

Last edited:

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The end of two-a-days (as we know it) in college football?

Two-a-day practices — a rite of passage in college football for decades — is over as fans remember it.

The NCAA Division I Council on Friday voted to end the practice of full contact two-a-day practices — be it in training camp or in spring camp. Teams rarely used them in spring, but, for some programs, they were still a hallmark in fall camps.

Nebraska conducted four two-a-days in August 2016 in preparation for the season. NU had one morning practice and one late evening workout during those four two-a-days. College programs are allowed 29 preseason practices in preparation for the season.

Now, if teams want to have two practices in the day, one of those practices will have to be a "walkthrough," during which contact is prohibited and no protective equipment, such as helmets or pads, can be worn. No conditioning can take place during walkthroughs, either. Walkthroughs can last up to two hours, while a standard, padded practice can last up to three hours.

Thought this was an interesting part of the changes too, two a days have been around forever. Wonder if this will trickle down to high schools as well

Reaction Score
The end of two-a-days (as we know it) in college football?

Two-a-day practices — a rite of passage in college football for decades — is over as fans remember it.

The NCAA Division I Council on Friday voted to end the practice of full contact two-a-day practices — be it in training camp or in spring camp. Teams rarely used them in spring, but, for some programs, they were still a hallmark in fall camps.

Nebraska conducted four two-a-days in August 2016 in preparation for the season. NU had one morning practice and one late evening workout during those four two-a-days. College programs are allowed 29 preseason practices in preparation for the season.

Now, if teams want to have two practices in the day, one of those practices will have to be a "walkthrough," during which contact is prohibited and no protective equipment, such as helmets or pads, can be worn. No conditioning can take place during walkthroughs, either. Walkthroughs can last up to two hours, while a standard, padded practice can last up to three hours.

Thought this was an interesting part of the changes too, two a days have been around forever. Wonder if this will trickle down to high schools as well

IIRC, guys at work who are involved with HSFB were discussing no longer having 2 a days. This is in Illinois.

Reaction Score
Fair point:

I really don't think this changes much from the recruit's perspective. The kids that are 100% sold on your school will sign in December instead of February. Those weighing their options won't. Of more interest is the opposite if you want to sign in December and the school encourages you not to, it might be time to evaluate other options.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Fair point:

Ugh - so we will have "Early signing day committable offers" and "Late Signing Day committable offers". He is right and this (will be) just dumb.

Reaction Score
Matt Rhule: 'It always seemed like a waste of resources and money'

>>“When I was a 1-AA coach and at Temple, I was all for an early signing period,” he said on SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “I didn’t want to spend my whole January out re-recruiting kids that had been committed for six months. It always seemed like a waste of resources and money, when you’re sitting babysitting the commitments to commit to you in February. “I’m excited for our level. I’m excited for when I was at the smaller levels, to divide your time and spend more time on the task at hand.”<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom