OT: - Delusional AAC Fans | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Delusional AAC Fans

Reaction Score
There is a certain amount of whistling past the graveyard in this thread. If the AAC could do in basketball what it has done on the football side, it could very well be a major power. Let’s be honest, when UConn was their we did little for the league. And within their markets, a number of AAC teams are significant players. And Big East teams are marginal ones. Seton Hall would very quickly be overshadowed in New Jersey by a successful Big 10 related Rutgers. There were times when Temple was the team people followed in Philly and Villanova was relegated to a supporting role. Xavier and Cincinnati split the market depending on which one is dominant at a given time. And while it is hard to really evaluate theBig East this year, if you are honest, you have to say after the top 3 it is not very good...maybe a bunch of equals, but hardly scary equals. DePaul stinks for the 30th consecutive year, Seton Hall is the definition of mediocre, Providence is what they have been since last we were here, St Johns hasn’t been relevant since the 1990s and likely won’t be again, Georgetown kinda sorta wishes they’d let Catholics into the Ivy League so they could associate with their equals instead of a bunch of commuter colleges, Creighton is our Wichita State. Most people couldn’t tell you what league they are in, but they kinda know they are in the Midwest and occasionally make the news for abusing basketball players.

Bottom line is the Big East is considered a power conference based on 2 things
1 Villanova
2. The legacy of what Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, West Virginia, Louisville and Cincinnati built

Reaction Score
There is a certain amount of whistling past the graveyard in this thread. If the AAC could do in basketball what it has done on the football side, it could very well be a major power.

By major power do you mean have a team that runs the table every so often, but the committee still doesn't even consider them for the NCAA Tournament? Because that's the equivalent of AAC football.

Reaction Score
There is a certain amount of whistling past the graveyard in this thread. If the AAC could do in basketball what it has done on the football side, it could very well be a major power. Let’s be honest, when UConn was their we did little for the league. And within their markets, a number of AAC teams are significant players. And Big East teams are marginal ones. Seton Hall would very quickly be overshadowed in New Jersey by a successful Big 10 related Rutgers. There were times when Temple was the team people followed in Philly and Villanova was relegated to a supporting role. Xavier and Cincinnati split the market depending on which one is dominant at a given time. And while it is hard to really evaluate theBig East this year, if you are honest, you have to say after the top 3 it is not very good...maybe a bunch of equals, but hardly scary equals. DePaul stinks for the 30th consecutive year, Seton Hall is the definition of mediocre, Providence is what they have been since last we were here, St Johns hasn’t been relevant since the 1990s and likely won’t be again, Georgetown kinda sorta wishes they’d let Catholics into the Ivy League so they could associate with their equals instead of a bunch of commuter colleges, Creighton is our Wichita State. Most people couldn’t tell you what league they are in, but they kinda know they are in the Midwest and occasionally make the news for abusing basketball players.

1 Villanova
2. The legacy of what Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, West Virginia, Louisville and Cincinnati built
You're underselling the Big East a bit. The conference has 3 big-name brand schools that are head and shoulders above anyone in the AAC in terms of college sports relevance in Nova, Georgetown and UConn. The Conference has the biggest college sports event in the most important city in the world, not to mention a school located in the city itself. And then finally the floor of the conferences are incomparable. DePaul is the cellar dweller in the conference and even still is located in one of the largest cities in the country and is able to punch above it's weight in recruiting. I don't know who else would be considered a drag on the conference, but whoever else you want to pool in with DePaul the comparison between them and ECU, Tulane and Tulsa is laughable.

Reaction Score
You're underselling the Big East a bit. The conference has 3 big-name brand schools that are head and shoulders above anyone in the AAC in terms of college sports relevance in Nova, Georgetown and UConn. The Conference has the biggest college sports event in the most important city in the world, not to mention a school located in the city itself. And then finally the floor of the conferences are incomparable. DePaul is the cellar dweller in the conference and even still is located in one of the largest cities in the country and is able to punch above it's weight in recruiting. I don't know who else would be considered a drag on the conference, but whoever else you want to pool in with DePaul the comparison between them and ECU, Tulane and Tulsa is laughable.
new person GIF

Reaction Score
By major power do you mean have a team that runs the table every so often, but the committee still doesn't even consider them for the NCAA Tournament? Because that's the equivalent of AAC football.
No. I mean they have very good football teams that can compete in any league in the country. And if the NCAA was limited to just 4 teams or even 8, and was run by the P5 guess how the Big East would get. You can count on 1 hand without using your fingers.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
None of those places are near BB recruiting hotbeds. The opposite of FB.

I also can't think of a worse outcome this season than losing to Wichita State in the first round. Let's hope that neither of these things comes true.

Reaction Score
No. I mean they have very good football teams that can compete in any league in the country. And if the NCAA was limited to just 4 teams or even 8, and was run by the P5 guess how the Big East would get. You can count on 1 hand without using your fingers.

Things that suck:

1) the AAC

end of list.

Reaction Score
You are right about the bottom of the two leagues, though I would argue that DePaul gets overrated by its association with the rest of the league. They have truly been embarrassingly bad since Ray Meyer retired. Georgetown, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence are all 1994 powers who honestly have largely left behind and run A10 level programs. Georgetown because they really, truly don’t care. They would love to go full Ivy League and as academic institution that is where they belong. Honestly the Big East desperately needs UConn and needs them to succeed to be the foil to Villanova and its absolute domination of the league. And Creighton ain’t gonna do it. They also need a few teams to make decent runs. 2018 Villanova won but every other team including 1 seed Xavier got flushed the first weekend. 2019 the Jonnies got bounced in the play in. The other 3 went out first weekend. The New Big East is generally a decent basketball league but the combo of the name and Villanova‘s success gives it a luster it doesn’t really deserve right now.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I love when you get so excited that you leave a key word out your post.
You are right about the bottom of the two leagues, though I would argue that DePaul gets overrated by its association with the rest of the league. They have truly been embarrassingly bad since Ray Meyer retired. Georgetown, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence are all 1994 powers who honestly have largely left behind and run A10 level programs. Georgetown because they really, truly don’t care. They would love to go full Ivy League and as academic institution that is where they belong. Honestly the Big East desperately needs UConn and needs them to succeed to be the foil to Villanova and its absolute domination of the league. And Creighton ain’t gonna do it. They also need a few teams to make decent runs. 2018 Villanova won but every other team including 1 seed Xavier got flushed the first weekend. 2019 the Jonnies got bounced in the play in. The other 3 went out first weekend. The New Big East is generally a decent basketball league but the combo of the name and Villanova‘s success gives it a luster it doesn’t really deserve right now.
And then do it again on your very next post.

Reaction Score

1 Villanova
Hold on a second there. The legacy. The conference was built on on the early successes of Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, Syracuse, PC, UConn. Much more so than WVU, Loserville or Cinci. They were all just passing through. Villanova benefited some by timing. It was at the top of its game at the same time CR blew up the conference. Georgetown had it share of success in the 2000's and when you have a 16 team conference as deep as the Big East was it's tough to win it. Georgetown and SJU and the rest do need to get back to where they were and we'll see how that looks next year when they start playing out of conference again.

Reaction Score
The Conference has the biggest college sports event
seriously?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Also there are no real regional rivalries. The old big east was loaded with big rivalries. Nobody is ever going to give a drop of pee about Memphis vs Houston like they did Cuse vs Uconn St. Johns vs Gtown etc.

There are some. Wichita State is a natural rival with Tulsa and SMU, and perhaps Memphis. All drivable. UCF and USF but they are alone over there. E Carolina (the worst addition) all alone.

It's not a bad league. It's the 7th best league and with UConn gone it is pretty much locked into that spot. I do think the Committee has treated it badly as well. Part of that is the fault of the schools who schedule horrible non conference schedules and drag down the metrics.

Reaction Score
There are some. Wichita State is a natural rival with Tulsa and SMU, and perhaps Memphis. All drivable. UCF and USF but they are alone over there. E Carolina (the worst addition) all alone.

It's not a bad league. It's the 7th best league and with UConn gone it is pretty much locked into that spot. I do think the Committee has treated it badly as well. Part of that is the fault of the schools who schedule horrible non conference schedules and drag down the metrics.
What i meant was rivalries that draw attention from the rest of the country. Nobody cares about Wichita st vs Tulsa except people that part of the country which is fine but that game isnt drawing big ratings in a prime time Monday night slot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What i meant was rivalries that draw attention from the rest of the country. Nobody cares about Wichita st vs Tulsa except people that part of the country which is fine but that game isnt drawing big ratings in a prime time Monday night slot.

Honestly nobody cares about the current Big East rivalries either, except maybe UConn vs Nova. Georgetown if they ever get good again. The rest don’t move the needle. Let’s not pretend that Xavier vs Butler is must see TV.

Reaction Score
Honestly nobody cares about the current Big East rivalries either, except maybe UConn vs Nova. Georgetown if they ever get good again. The rest don’t move the needle. Let’s not pretend that Xavier vs Butler is must see TV.
Good point. Uconn v Nova could be really become big over the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
And yet Xavier has done better than any team in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston have a strong history? How many championships between them - one. And that was 60 years ago. They have decent histories.
Cincinnati has 2 back 60 years as you said. I think Cincinnati has a pretty strong history in comparison to most schools. It certainly isn’t at the level of a UNC, Duke or UConn but I would say it’s about the same as Villanova, Virginia or Syracuse. Nobody in Cincy honestly wants to be in the AAC so everyone on the board here I think is singing the tune of Bearcats fans. We are obviously hoping for a P5 invite at some point and I think it would become the biggest ticket in town if football was playing P5 schools every week

Reaction Score

1 Villanova
With all due respect nobody but nobody in New Jersey or New York gives a rats behind about Rutgers basketball. They may have gotten the lottery ticket out but come on. They market UConn players to their recruits. And I totally respect Steve Pikiell but it's Rutgers for crying out loud. (And my daughter went to St. Paul).

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
ikr? he played against 'spoon!' mebbe the best player in that conference's history.
big time, so much larger than life.

we are not worthy. lol.

I hate to say, but I was dunked on hard by Weatherspoon and fell back afterwards. I did not live that one down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom