Deja Vu all over again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Deja Vu all over again

Reaction Score
I fear we are in the same boat that we’ve been sailing in for the past 5 years. Great players, great record, very high seed, no championship. I was very excited when UCONN moved back to the Big East. I knew they needed to play a tougher schedule so they wouldn’t go into the tournament soft and get beaten by hardened but less talented teams as has happened in recent years. But I didn’t do my homework. There isn’t a ranked team in the Big East other than UCONN. They will sleepwalk thru the final part of the season. Other top teams will play other ranked teams down the stretch. They will be ready for tourney play. UCONN will not. No one to blame here it’s just the way it is. I think the loser of the SC/ Tex A&M game gets to the Final Four.....because they went through the gauntlet.
Sometimes Uconn just isn't the best team. Women's College basketball is better as a whole when it's not predetermined who will make the final four and who will win the National Championship.

Reaction Score
It appears that some have taken issue with my thoughtful, well written post. One that clearly explains why UCONN puts the best 5 players on the floor but gets beat by lesser, but more tournament-ready teams when it counts. I hold no resentment. Looking forward tonight’s game and 5 players with double digit points and a whole lot of minutes for AE who will be key in the later rounds.

Reaction Score
Been hearing a lot of this the last few years. The ironic thing about it is I recall in 2014-2016, a lot of the haters/naysayers used to say that Uconn's "easy" schedule gave them and advantage over the other contenders.
The cry would be that Uconn would only have to get up for about 4-5 games a year and could cruise through the rest of their schedule whereas teams from the Power 5 would have to survive battle after battle all season long. Then come tournament time Uconn would be a lot fresher than the other teams that were worn down from all their tough games over the course of the season.
Now that there's been a few years since a title the perspective on the schedule has changed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It appears that some have taken issue with my thoughtful, well written post.
Happy Danny Glover GIF by Regal

Reaction Score
I fear we are in the same boat that we’ve been sailing in for the past 5 years. Great players, great record, very high seed, no championship. I was very excited when UCONN moved back to the Big East. I knew they needed to play a tougher schedule so they wouldn’t go into the tournament soft and get beaten by hardened but less talented teams as has happened in recent years. But I didn’t do my homework. There isn’t a ranked team in the Big East other than UCONN. They will sleepwalk thru the final part of the season. Other top teams will play other ranked teams down the stretch. They will be ready for tourney play. UCONN will not. No one to blame here it’s just the way it is. I think the loser of the SC/ Tex A&M game gets to the Final Four.....because they went through the gauntlet.
It is so sad to read a post like this one. IT IS NOT LIFE AND DEATH, ITS JUST A BASKETBALL GAME. Also, its unfair to out players who work so hard to achieve some BASKETBALL success while a so called fan says they can't do it. Posts like this one just "make me crazy"

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The interesting thing to me is Geno's conference record win % is almost the exactly the same as our non-conference record. and that is true in almost every decade as well as overall. In the 2010s almost all of our non-conference games are against top 10 teams and we are still winning at the same rate.
From the 2009-10 team through the 2018-19 team the record against the conference teams (included tournaments) was 193-8 (.960) and against the rest of the country it was 173-9 (.951.) I chose these 10 years since last year was a bit of a mess at the end and this year is no different.

I suspect that during that same time Uconn has a better record against each of the P-5 conferences than the best teams in each of those conferences have. Here are the 10 year records I believe:
ACC 28-3 - .903 (ND#2 Louisville)
SEC 21-1 - .955 (MsSt)
Big10 21-0 - 1.000
Pac 18-2 - .900 (Stanford)
Big12 17-3 - .850 (Baylor)

Basically we would be winning 95+% of our games in any conference since the records above are against mostly the best teams in each conference not the dogs. And the blow out wins would still be happening as they have against almost all comers each year. Except the few games we have lost even our NCAA tournament games tend towards blow outs. Louisville and Syracuse by 30 in championships for example.

Reaction Score
Aw shucks, I thought you meant this one. Got so excited I almost cut my hair!

You are on it Bama - beat me to it..! There's a terrific 2 hour history of CSN&Y on Amazon Prime btw, I just watched it last night.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
You are on it Bama - beat me to it..! There's a terrific 2 hour history of CSN&Y on Amazon Prime btw, I just watched it last night.
I will look for it. Lots of talent, lots of great music. Thanks! Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing to me is Geno's conference record win % is almost the exactly the same as our non-conference record. and that is true in almost every decade as well as overall. In the 2010s almost all of our non-conference games are against top 10 teams and we are still winning at the same rate.
From the 2009-10 team through the 2018-19 team the record against the conference teams (included tournaments) was 193-8 (.960) and against the rest of the country it was 173-9 (.951.) I chose these 10 years since last year was a bit of a mess at the end and this year is no different.

I suspect that during that same time Uconn has a better record against each of the P-5 conferences than the best teams in each of those conferences have. Here are the 10 year records I believe:
ACC 28-3 - .903 (ND#2 Louisville)
SEC 21-1 - .955 (MsSt)
Big10 21-0 - 1.000
Pac 18-2 - .900 (Stanford)
Big12 17-3 - .850 (Baylor)

Basically we would be winning 95+% of our games in any conference since the records above are against mostly the best teams in each conference not the dogs. And the blow out wins would still be happening as they have against almost all comers each year. Except the few games we have lost even our NCAA tournament games tend towards blow outs. Louisville and Syracuse by 30 in championships for example.

Love this post. Going to use it from time-to-time when this type of topic comes up again.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Love this post. Going to use it from time-to-time when this type of topic comes up again.
I did a little check and Kim at Baylor is winning 95% of her games in the B12 over the ten years, Muffet at ND had a similar rate in the 6 year period she was in the ACC so they both had better conference win percentage than Geno against their conferences (but only because Uconn lost to their specific teams during the same time frame.) Tara and Stanford almost matched Uconn against the Pac.

Fact is the best teams generally stand well above their conferences often compiling undefeated records in conference play. The Big East at times with ND Louisville Rutgers Syracuse and Uconn was an exception. Other conferences have been competitive with a few teams for a few years at a time but Baylor, Stanford and TN dominated with TN being replaced by SC more recently. Not sure what to think about the Pac the last few years - it looks like maybe Stanford is reasserting itself there after a few years of wobble. And the ACC has been dominated by the old BE teams until recently, before that Duke.

Reaction Score
I did a little check and Kim at Baylor is winning 95% of her games in the B12 over the ten years, Muffet at ND had a similar rate in the 6 year period she was in the ACC so they both had better conference win percentage than Geno against their conferences (but only because Uconn lost to their specific teams during the same time frame.) Tara and Stanford almost matched Uconn against the Pac.

Fact is the best teams generally stand well above their conferences often compiling undefeated records in conference play. The Big East at times with ND Louisville Rutgers Syracuse and Uconn was an exception. Other conferences have been competitive with a few teams for a few years at a time but Baylor, Stanford and TN dominated with TN being replaced by SC more recently. Not sure what to think about the Pac the last few years - it looks like maybe Stanford is reasserting itself there after a few years of wobble. And the ACC has been dominated by the old BE teams until recently, before that Duke.
You forgot about Oregon in the Pac12. (NC with Sabrina we'll never know) To a lesser extent, UCLA has been improving, as has Oregon State and even Zona. (tune in tonight)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You forgot about Oregon in the Pac12. (NC with Sabrina we'll never know) To a lesser extent, UCLA has been improving, as has Oregon State and even Zona. (tune in tonight)
Didn't forget, just not sure any of the other Pac teams have staying power to really challenge Stanford - yes Oregon and Washington and Oregon State have made noise in the last few years and UCLA and AZ look decent, Since 2000 Stanford has won 17 of 20 titles and 7 FF - the rest of the Pac has 4 FF, one each by Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Cal. And they are looking like they are the best Pac team this year after having not been for the past few.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom