Defining Game's for your school | The Boneyard

Defining Game's for your school

Reaction Score
I was re-watching the Minnesota-Duke Elite 8 game from 2004 (because this year's Gophers team has me reminiscing about the good old days) and got to thinking, this game is THE defining game in the history of Minnesota WBB. Going up against the #1 team in the country, Whalen still coming back from a broken hand, Gophers were able to step up and do just enough to bother Beard and company to beat them 82-75 in one of the biggest upsets in NCAAW history. What do you consider your school's program defining game?

Here's the Minnesota-Duke game for anyone interested:

Reaction Score
Painful for Baylor fans to watch but definitely the defining moment that began the Mulkey era of success in Waco.

Reaction Score
Ah, the start of the Baylor era. Only a year later would they taste sweet success.

Reaction Score
Ah, the start of the Baylor era. Only a year later would they taste sweet success.
Yup, they beat a LSU team with Sylvia Fowles, Temeka Johnson and Augustus in the final four.

As great as those final four runs though, it was a bit of a blunder by LSU to go to 5 straight final fours and not win a single game while there. That 2005 one was tough to swallow with the amount of talent LSU had, they truly dropped the ball and got out coached in the final four.

Reaction Score
Yup, they beat a LSU team with Sylvia Fowles, Temeka Johnson and Augustus in the final four.

As great as those final four runs though, it was a bit of a blunder by LSU to go to 5 straight final fours and not win a single game while there. That 2005 one was tough to swallow with the amount of talent LSU had, they truly dropped the ball and got out coached in the final four.

It is really incredible how LSU didn't make it to a national championship with the talent they had. Losing to Tennessee by 1 point in Sylvia's final season just stings.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hmm...Washington and Oregon St. both went to their first and only Final 4 the same year, so probably the 2016 Regional Final for both schools. OSU took out Baylor and UW beat Stanford for the second time in a few weeks (conference tourney quarterfinals as well).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was re-watching the Minnesota-Duke Elite 8 game from 2004 (because this year's Gophers team has me reminiscing about the good old days) and got to thinking, this game is THE defining game in the history of Minnesota WBB. Going up against the #1 team in the country, Whalen still coming back from a broken hand, Gophers were able to step up and do just enough to bother Beard and company to beat them 82-75 in one of the biggest upsets in NCAAW history. What do you consider your school's program defining game?

Here's the Minnesota-Duke game for anyone interested:

16232750492225-e1623275122622.jpg

When I saw the title of this thread and who the thread starter was, I KNEW this would be posted. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment for still entering.

Reaction Score
For me it was our win over Maryland in the 2009 regional final at Raleigh. Before Walz arrived, Louisville had not been to the Sweet Sixteen.

Reaction Score
2015 SEC tournament championship game vs. Tennessee in Arkansas. We had tied 15-1 in the regular season to be co-champs it they win the regular season head to head. We won the tournament championship 62-46. We followed up with Dawn’s first final four and a 34-3 record.

It “defined” the next 7 seasons and, hopefully the “Dawning” of Gamecock WBB era to follow.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom