Defensive play - Nika | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Defensive play - Nika

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Just think about it. The greatest women's coach in history is in your face so bad that your are a sobbing mess in front of a TV audience with no family members near to console you. Next thing you know you are the starting PG on the #1 team in America. I wonder if she pinches herself sometimes. We all know if she does, she will feel no pain or just ignore it if she does.
I think she does:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Wait, you just invented a new basketball term for the BY. "Fribbling" means dribbling with fear because it is going to be stolen by Nika.
I think that should be the winner for neologism of the year on the BY all star list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And guess who knew exactly what he was doing when he got in her face and then prodded her?
Classic case of knowing that you have to treat each player differently. The same technique might not work with another player, but it seems GA knew how tough NM was/is and knew how to get through to her. He is really good at psychology as well which is very important in coaching today's kids.

Years ago, you could just yell at everybody and most would take to it, but not so much these days. I suspect he likes the mental toughness that many foreign players bring as well.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Classic case of knowing that you have to treat each player differently. The same technique might not work with another player, but it seems GA knew how tough NM was/is and knew how to get through to her. He is really good at psychology as well which is very important in coaching today's kids.
Thanks for posting, that's a good insight that's led me to this thought: Geno has always known that Nika is tough as nails and focused as all getout. In that game, she'd obviously lost focus, and Geno pointed that out in a (emphatic) way that might deflate most players, but he knew that Nika of all people would respond as he intended.

Geno had complained a few times early in the season that these kids were just too nice, and that crept onto the court. I think that moment may have been the moment that this team lost their on-court niceness.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting, that's a good insight that's led me to this thought: Geno has always known that Nika is tough as nails and focused as all getout. In that game, she'd obviously lost focus, and Geno pointed that out in a (emphatic) way that might deflate most players, but he knew that Nika of all people would respond as he intended.

Geno had complained a few times early in the season that these kids were just too nice, and that crept onto the court. I think that moment may have been the moment that this team lost their on-court niceness.
Thoughtful insight Bigboote! That may have been a bit of a turning point. It is possible that the scolding NM received and the tears that followed sort of brought them together even more. NM's toughness, even as a freshman, may be rubbing off on the rest of the team.

How can you watch film of NM playing like her hair is on fire all game and then you not at least try to give a similar effort? This may be an additional benefit of having her on the team and in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think the foot was a factor. I think she also worked on her form, putting a little more arc on the ball, and holding her follow-through.
Yup, now she can work on the jump and the quick release, and being the athlete she is she will pick it up quickly.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

After Nika had the big scoring game against Creighton in late February, she did the post game interview along with CW. During that session she was asked about her back and forth with Geno. She says that she was struggling to understand how to play within the system here, and arguing with Geno during practices. CW says that Nika had a hard time accepting what was a foul in WCBB. Nika admits that once she started listening to Geno and the coaches, the game became easier for her and that team defense improved. She says that "You can't win an argument with him." I believe that she had her "Road to Tarsus" moment that night when she was called to the bench and openly chastised. Geno has the knack for judging how far each kid can be pushed, and you could see in her eyes that night that he got his message across. She has been on an upward trajectory since then for sure. I believe she and Geno "get' each other pretty well. Onward and upward, Nika!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom