December UConn recruiting thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

December UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO, Ice is a great class; Ice and Kiki is a terrific class ; Ice, Kiki and Ayanna is mind blowing.
I like your thinking!
Love Jackson more than I do Rice because 1) I now know Jackson is determined to leave Texas 2) Jackson is taller 3) Jackson has a more reliable 3 ball 4) Jackson gives me position versatility-1-3 5) Jackson is better perimeter defender. 6) I still think Rice is Stanford of Ivy League (High academics) bound.
Love Barker more than Patterson because 1) Patterson I see a duplicative of Brady 4/5 2) Barker can defend and play on the perimeter 3) Barker must be defended over the entire floor.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting pod cast 2022 starts around 12 minute mark

Selected comments from Laflin on the 2021 group:

Azzi: "Number 1, is a really good shooter."

Caroline: "Really good shooter." "Great shooter."

Amari: "Has range."

Saylor: "Has range."

I see a common element.

Reaction Score
I'll start with what we know. Current roster is 1 R/S Junior, 2 juniors, 2 sophs, and 6 frosh (I believe 1 is a walk on.) The next group is 4 young women have committed to UConn for the 21/22 season. If no one leaves the program early for the WNBA or transfers out for whatever reason (we know that has happened in the past} what are the numbers? There would then be 15 players. Talk about a crowded field. Moving on to 22/23, again no transfers or other issues just graduation we lose three, down to 12 plus a recruiting class of ?. Sure still looks crowded. Will minutes to play cause some transfers? Only time will tell.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
IMO, Ice is a great class; Ice and Kiki is a terrific class ; Ice, Kiki and Ayanna is mind blowing.

HuskeyinSC, If you've read any of my comments, you know I don't have a problem with having a "competitive edge". But, if as you suggest, if we could get ICE, KiKi and Ayanna, THAT would be like stealing, and give us an unconscionable over-whelming advantage over any opponent for the next 6 years. A dynamic I would be completely OK and on board with!!! ;)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Selected comments from Laflin on the 2021 group:

Azzi: "Number 1, is a really good shooter."
Caroline: "Really good shooter." "Great shooter."
Amari: "Has range."
Saylor: "Has range."
I see a common element.
Being a defensive bigot I especially like the comparison of Saylor to Kelly Faris. Kind of mad that I hadn't though of that myself. Amari was compared to ONO- I think @Sluconn Husky and I have both thrown out Azura Stevens as a comparison. He had an interesting take on on Ice Brady-paraphrase " she is the perfect piece to be surrounded by other killers she is not going to get in their way but she can also be a killer".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like your thinking!
Love Jackson more than I do Rice because 1) I now know Jackson is determined to leave Texas 2) Jackson is taller 3) Jackson has a more reliable 3 ball 4) Jackson gives me position versatility-1-3 5) Jackson is better perimeter defender. 6) I still think Rice is Stanford of Ivy League (High academics) bound.
Love Barker more than Patterson because 1) Patterson I see a duplicative of Brady 4/5 2) Barker can defend and play on the perimeter 3) Barker must be defended over the entire floor.
I think this analysis is very good. I like Jackson over Rice and Bradford, and I consider those three as a group that we likely would only get one from, if that. Jackson seems the most versatile which is pretty important if she winds up a bench contributor. She had one video where it was clear she liked Uconn. I think Rice could be versatile too, but if she wants to be just a point guard Uconn would have two more years of Paige and Nika. In Bradford's case although I have seen almost no video, she sounds like a strong physical SG that takes it to the basket frequently, and may not be a versatile as the other two.

Up front I agree with you as well on Barker being possibly a better fit, since she has more potential at the 3, and Patterson might be more like Ice 2.0. Once again I consider the bigs to be a threesome (with Betts) where we would love to have one of them, but two probably would be overkill. For me it might be a tossup between Betts and Barker if I had to pick one, but Patterson would be my third choice from that group, but a very good one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll start with what we know. Current roster is 1 R/S Junior, 2 juniors, 2 sophs, and 6 frosh (I believe 1 is a walk on.) The next group is 4 young women have committed to UConn for the 21/22 season. If no one leaves the program early for the WNBA or transfers out for whatever reason (we know that has happened in the past} what are the numbers? There would then be 15 players. Talk about a crowded field. Moving on to 22/23, again no transfers or other issues just graduation we lose three, down to 12 plus a recruiting class of ?. Sure still looks crowded. Will minutes to play cause some transfers? Only time will tell.
Your numbers are correct but deserve a few caveats. 1) Autumn Chassion is not currently on scholarship and may not be next year as well. 2) The NCAA has granted an extra year of eligibility for all SA who participate in 2020-21 season and as a result roster sizes are expected to be larger than the current limit of 15 scholarships SA. 3) NCAA is being beaten into submission and the immediate eligibility for first time transfers might become a reality by April 2021.
"Will minutes to play cause some transfers?" IMO transfers are inevitable and UCONN will successfully navigate the transfer waters/rules better than most. What I'm anxious to see though is how UCONN adjust to the larger than usual roster sizes that will be in place for the next few years. I'll be specifically interested to see if Geno expands his rotation and the impact this will have on recruiting.

Reaction Score
I like your thinking!
Thanks for making my post for me. :cool:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm afraid I have to vote both Miss Watkins, and/or Miss Fulwiley off the island to make room for Juste Jocyte.
With the four I've chosen I'd Juste have to make room.

Reaction Score
Jackson doesn’t seem bothered by the guard overhaul at UConn, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just Ice and Jackson.

But with Liv graduating that year, we need to get another big to compete with Baylor, Stanford, and South Carolina. Piath seems to be a project, so it seems her career will be similar to Kiah. We need to get Betts. If not, we’re playing small ball with Edwards playing the 5.

Reaction Score
Jackson doesn’t seem bothered by the guard overhaul at UConn, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just Ice and Jackson.

But with Liv graduating that year, we need to get another big to compete with Baylor, Stanford, and South Carolina. Piath seems to be a project, so it seems her career will be similar to Kiah. We need to get Betts. If not, we’re playing small ball with Edwards playing the 5.
Did you forget about deBerry?

Reaction Score
Did you forget about deBerry?
48151987-F199-45AD-BB63-974AC7CF35BA.jpeg

Reaction Score
How tall is she? UCONN needs bigs-allegedly!
UCONN will have three 6'5" women next year in ONO, Gabriel & DeBerry; not to say that Lauen Betts at 6'7" would not be more than welcome along with Ice Ice Brady....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom