December Recruiting Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

December Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Part of what may appear to be doubling up on PG prospects is that Paige and Nika are the same year. Yes Paige could easily stay another year, but 2 PG's will be needed soon. I am also assuming that Ines was more an emergency need for this year and that Geno would be trying to upgrade her with a better backup behind KK.

I think KK makes getting another top ranked PG in 24 pretty unlikely. Other names further down the recruiting list have been mentioned as possibilities over the next couple of years, Fisher, Imari Berry, Heckel etc. On the surface those names seem to be ranked lower than Uconn usually goes after, but for a backup point guard spot it makes sense.

Because of a couple more years of Azzi, Ashlynn in 23, and Ziebel in 24, there is also little opportunity for a new PG recruit to get playing time at the 2, so that is a disadvantage recruiting for that position right now. I presume we try for Cambridge, and she might be the only recruit that would be a threat to KK's time, but realistically I think pursuing a probable backup in the next two recruiting classes is far more likely and might be a good strategy.
I agree with the need for a younger backup PG but it won't be Cambridge. Whether she actually is or not, she's the #1 ranked player in the '24 class by Hoopgurlz. I believe she'll go someplace where she's confident she'll be the starter by no later than her 2nd season and she has a ton of offers. I doubt she would want to compete with Arnold who would have a year's headstart on her. IMO, either Ziebell or Imari Berry if she came could handle any PG minutes needed plus Bettencourt may develop enough to be a factor there.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
12/3

Kyndal Walker ('24): 22 points

Kate Koval ('24): 17 points, 10 rebs, 3 blocks

Kayleigh Heckel ('24): 9 points, 9 rebs, 8 assists

12/2

Kyndal Walker: 17 points

Kate Koval: 12 points, 11 rebs

Kayleigh Heckel: 12 points, 5 assists, 4 steals

Reaction Score
Imari Berry won't be a backup anywhere. She's legit. So is Cambridge obviously, and both have UConn offers.
IMO Berry is a combo guard. If she chose to play at UConn, knowing Arnold was in place, it would indicate her confidence to compete at either spot for PT. The same as Ziebell has done. And she may not choose UConn for the reason you give. My point is that one or both, if there, have the skills to slide over and play some PG if needed.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
12/3

2025 Darianna Alexander vs 2025 ZaKiyah Johnson:

Alexander: 42 points

Johnson: 27 points

Got the scoresheet for this game.

Darianna Alexander: 42 points ( 13-23 FG, 1-1 3-PT, 13-14 FT ), 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 1 block

ZaKiyah Johnson: 27 points ( 7-14 FG, 3-8 3-PT, 10-10 FT ), 12 rebounds, 6 assists, 6 steals, 1 block

FjJPO0dWAAMzt24

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Got the scoresheet for this game.

Darianna Alexander: 42 points ( 13-23 FG, 1-1 3-PT, 13-14 FT ), 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 1 block

ZaKiyah Johnson: 27 points ( 7-14 FG, 3-8 3-PT, 10-10 FT ), 12 rebounds, 6 assists, 6 steals, 1 block

FjJPO0dWAAMzt24

Very nice FT shooting!

Reaction Score
Part of what may appear to be doubling up on PG prospects is that Paige and Nika are the same year. Yes Paige could easily stay another year, but 2 PG's will be needed soon. I am also assuming that Ines was more an emergency need for this year and that Geno would be trying to upgrade her with a better backup behind KK.

I think KK makes getting another top ranked PG in 24 pretty unlikely. Other names further down the recruiting list have been mentioned as possibilities over the next couple of years, Fisher, Imari Berry, Heckel etc. On the surface those names seem to be ranked lower than Uconn usually goes after, but for a backup point guard spot it makes sense.

Because of a couple more years of Azzi, Ashlynn in 23, and Ziebel in 24, there is also little opportunity for a new PG recruit to get playing time at the 2, so that is a disadvantage recruiting for that position right now. I presume we try for Cambridge, and she might be the only recruit that would be a threat to KK's time, but realistically I think pursuing a probable backup in the next two recruiting classes is far more likely and might be a good strategy.
I like the word "electric" to discribe the current guard recruits. Can't imagine that better future and potential class(es) exist. If I was a big looking at a program where I knew I would get great ball movement, passing, etc. that would maximaize my performance, I would look no further than UConn.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
12/8

Kate Koval: 22 points, 20 rebounds, 4 blocks

Kaleigh Heckel: 27 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists

12/6

Justice Carlton ('24): 16 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online