Amari DeBerry says she ‘can’t show up to UConn unprepared’ after delayed senior season | The Boneyard

Amari DeBerry says she ‘can’t show up to UConn unprepared’ after delayed senior season

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good article, thanks for posting. It appears she’s being “handled “ correctly, in that she has adopted a mindset that should not only serve her, but her, teammates and the program as well. She understands the task (expectations) before her coming in, and wants to be prepared to hit the ground running. That’s wonderful because the season starts in 7 short months. Welcome to UConn Amari DeBerry.

There are several adjustments freshmen have to make to “effectively“ play at this level. Paige and Aaliyah were able to do it quickly and seamlessly. Let’s see if Amari can do the same.

I think it’s safe to say that a 6’5” post player from UConn will have more than a passing interest from several teams in the WNBA, especially if she is able to distinguish her self by winning several team and individual performance awards during that time.

After reading this article, I have a simple one word response, Hallelujah!! ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She has a great mindset and work ethic. She could have a similar impact next year to AE's freshman season.

Reaction Score
I am curious about Geno's comments about Amari. He said they needed another skilled big on their roster. Then he said Dorka could fulfill a need on this team when they announced she transferred.

I can see that in the case of: an injury to AE or ONO, foul trouble from them, being able to sub them out when ineffective, generally wanting to play bigger lineups, or replacing ONO after she graduates.

Both look pretty good on film. They will have to play at a high level to make the rotation next year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am curious about Geno's comments about Amari. He said they needed another skilled big on their roster. Then he said Dorka could fulfill a need on this team when they announced she transferred.

I can see that in the case of: an injury to AE or ONO, foul trouble from them, being able to sub them out when ineffective, generally wanting to play bigger lineups, or replacing ONO after she graduates.

Both look pretty good on film. They will have to play at a high level to make the rotation next year.
It can take a couple years for a high school post to adjust to the speed and physicality of the college game. Can Amari contribute right away? Sure, but it would be unusual, even at UConn, for a post to be an impact player as a freshman (Aaliyah is an exception as was Tina).

Dorka will be a fourth year player from a P5 conference. She won’t be star struck and she’s already excelled against DI players. Of course, her being an impact player is TBD but it’s more likely for an experienced player.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate the impact experience playing for the USA basketball team has on incoming freshmen. She knows several of her new teammates already and has played with them and against some of the best players in the world in her age group. It isn't everything but it sure helps!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Dorka already is an impact player. She has been playing in the Big Ten: Maryland, Michigan, Iowa, Michigan St., Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern. She'll be impactful from the moment she learns UConn's way of playing.
Well, that’s the real question, isn’t it? There have been players here for years that never really got the UConn way of playing.

Reaction Score
she's good, physical ....she need to work hard I hope we not gona see a nother liv

Reaction Score
I feel the Liv blame is a bit much. The fact that when she does not play well that we lose might also reflect how important she is to winning.

I don't expect Dorka to be as consistently good on defense as Olivia.

I hope they all compliment one another well and relieve some of the pressure off each other.

Reaction Score
Is there anyone in the pro leagues still shooting hook shots? I haven't noticed one in the games I've watched. Kareem certainly had a good one but it appears to me to be a lost art. Must be a reason for that.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Is there anyone in the pro leagues still shooting hook shots? I haven't noticed one in the games I've watched. Kareem certainly had a good one but it appears to me to be a lost art. Must be a reason for that.
You rarely see it in the pros and college players, unless ur tall enough to actually be throwing the ball downwards upon release, Ala Kareem , thn there's a good chance you'll get blocked into at least the third row, athletes jump outta the arena these days, their heads are at the rim. Just My Observation.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate the impact experience playing for the USA basketball team has on incoming freshmen. She knows several of her new teammates already and has played with them and against some of the best players in the world in her age group. It isn't everything but it sure helps!
Edwards played against the best players in the world on the Canadian Olympic team; there is really no comparison. Amari will need to wait until her sophomore year, when she can inherit some or almost all of ONO’s minutes.

Reaction Score
Amari will face a very steep learning curve her first year. Any probable comparison to AE's freshman year is way off base. Two different type players, AE is/was way ahead as far as aggressiveness and physically being ready upon arrival.
She had stints - actually playing - with the Canadian National Team, so that experience helped. (Someone else beat me to this point.....I was typing when Jordy posted)

Reaction Score
If DeBerry brings toughness and finishes 2 footers, she will take some of ONOs minutes, as those are her biggest weaknesses and the only real weakness on the team next year, really

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If DeBerry, who is much thicker and just as tall, can play as well as a skinny Brink did for Stanford, she will get plenty of minutes. As for the hook shot, a jump hook is all that is needed, not a sky hook as Alcindor shot.

Reaction Score
Amari is coming in to an ideal situation for her there are 3 bigs ahead of her. So the only pressure she will face is the pressure she puts on herself. With her skill set at 6'5 in the women's game she will have the opportunity to play and force her way into the rotation. There is nothing more Geno would want then to have a solid big rotation of ONO-Aaliyah-Dorka-Amari. That would be as formidable as any team in the country. I'm sure he is fairly confident in what he has in his guard rotation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom