DeBerry makes U-19 team | Page 4 | The Boneyard

DeBerry makes U-19 team

Reaction Score

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't understand. What does this have to do with Azzi not playing?

And I didn't know Azzi had an ankle injury. She's hurt?
It's a foot injury. She was wearing a boot in April and was still dealing with it while on campus in June.

Reaction Score
Would Geno and Azzi agree to let her go with the team, if she wasn’t 100%?

Reaction Score
Would Geno and Azzi agree to let her go with the team, if she wasn’t 100%?
Certainly possible, if she is still in a “rehab” state she may be able to continue whatever treatment and/or practice or playing restrictions with the all star team. Why deprive her of the experience if that is what she wanted to do and there is no affect on her recovery?
Further, it may be she is right on the cusp of being cleared to play; players want to play and I am sure she is itching to get back on the horse.

Reaction Score
Good observation baldy. If Amari looked lost as was reported, you can count on it. DeBerry will benefit from being on the team and observing play at the international level.

ONO is entering her final season, and she still has some things she needs to work on and clean up. Amari is just beginning her collegiate walk. Unlike ONO who was pressed into a starting role because she was the only true post on the roster.

Amari won’t experience that scenario. UConn has 4 players on roster standing 6’5” (when was the last time you could say that?). She’ll have the entire season to grow, mature a little and adjust to playing at the elite level with and against elite players. She’ll be under the tutelage of CD and Jamelle Elliott, she’ll be fine. They really won’t need her until next year. She’ll be ready to play. I’m more concerned about Gabriel’s growth and development at this point than Amari’s.

She was nothing more than a cheerleader last year. She had some necessary medical issues that were addressed after the season. How much can she be counted on to contribute this season? I’d settle for 12-15 meaningful minutes a game this year.
I believe for DeBerry to improve her game enough to be a contributing part of the core rotation it's going to be much more a matter of self motivation and work ethic than the coaching aspect. You can lead a horse to water but......... ONO has been "under the tutelage" of this staff for 3 years and is now just getting around to learning a basic jump shot and half hook. That's in addition to as she put it, and I'm indirectly quoting, creating moves off the dribble and post play that we hadn't worked on before.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
There's close to zero percent chance Close has a vendetta and is punishing players for it. She's not a perfect coach and she has her flaws, but that's not one of them. She's good peeps. And the long term blowback would be really bad for her.

For Fudd, it must be injury-related reasons that others have stated, as well as DeBerry being one of the last ones to make the cut. Sometimes (read: almost always) the simplest explanation is the best one.

Reaction Score
Like others here, I’d like to know “the rest of the story” (Paul Harvey). If Azzi and Amari weren’t healthy enough to play, neither should have made the roster or the trip. There’s always next year. Give two other healthy players a chance to make the roster and play. Today is August 1. There’s 3 months and 13 days before UConn breaks the seal on the 21-22 season, not counting the two exhibition games that will be played in early November.

If either or both are still recovering from injury, there is still more than enough time for them to FULLY RECOVER and be 100% healthy and ready to begin play in November. I think we’re all more concerned about their play for UConn this coming season than anything they could do over the summer playing USA basketball. USA and Fiba play will take care of itself in the next 3 years. First things first.
There is no next year for these players. The next U19 competition is in 2023.

Reaction Score
Like others here, I’d like to know “the rest of the story” (Paul Harvey). If Azzi and Amari weren’t healthy enough to play, neither should have made the roster or the trip. There’s always next year. Give two other healthy players a chance to make the roster and play. Today is August 1. There’s 3 months and 13 days before UConn breaks the seal on the 21-22 season, not counting the two exhibition games that will be played in early November.

If either or both are still recovering from injury, there is still more than enough time for them to FULLY RECOVER and be 100% healthy and ready to begin play in November. I think we’re all more concerned about their play for UConn this coming season than anything they could do over the summer playing USA basketball. USA and Fiba play will take care of itself in the next 3 years. First things first.
I agree why take two players that are not 100% healthy at departure for the tournament ? I mean wasn't not being 100% healthy by the time our national team were to leave for Tokyo the reason given by Dawn that Nneka was left off. If indeed Azzi and Amari were not 100% and they still were chosen to participate that could speak to the chatter of politics involved with selection of teams imo. There was a list of alternates that could have easily replaced them. Amari, Ware and Jersey were automatically chosen for the team once Reese and Westbeld removed their names from further consideration.
With or without Azzi and/or Amari USA U19 will come home with the Gold!!!

Reaction Score
A little perspective is called for here. This was an exhibition for U19 Women's National Team. "a reporter covering the team" for an exhibition might quite literally be a foreign concept.
USA basketball has a good write up on the game.
USA Women's U19 World Cup Team Claims 79-59 win over Spain in Second Exhibition Contest
I get that it is an exhibition game and they may not get much coverage, but I don't agree that USA basketball has a good write up if it doesn't even address the issue. I suspect that if the Uconn women's basketball team played an exhibition game, and Paige didn't play in it, and a article about the game didn't say anything about why, it would not be considered a good write up of the game. Rather the writer would likely be bombarded by questions about just that (IMO!).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There is no next year for these players. The next U19 competition is in 2023.
Thanks for the correction.

Reaction Score
. If indeed Azzi and Amari were not 100% and they still were chosen to participate that could speak to the chatter of politics involved with selection of teams imo. There was a list of alternates that could have easily replaced them. Amari, Ware and Jersey were automatically chosen for the team once Reese and Westbeld removed their names from further consideration.
I'm not sure this is close to being the same. Though I admit I didn't even know Azzi was hurt before. I thought when I heard comments previously from CD and Geno about her - it meant she was "playing" though that was some sort of "practice" I would guess. And I thought someone mentioned on here that she is practicing. It just seems a decision was made to DNP not that she couldn't. Though I could be way off.

As far as Amari- she played. So how is this the same?

So one player is practicing and the other playing - so I don't see the correlation.

Reaction Score
I thought I read somewhere that during the summer session Azzi was dealing with some kind of nagging injury. Also I posted on here a few times that I have seen Deberry play a couple of times and from what I saw, I would expect her to get Piath Gabriel type minutes. She will be good, but she DEFINITELY isn’t ready to be a key contributor at this point. If I’m being completely honest, I would expect a career similar to Olivias, good but not great. Maybe I’m wrong and time will tell.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I get that it is an exhibition game and they may not get much coverage, but I don't agree that USA basketball has a good write up if it doesn't even address the issue. I suspect that if the Uconn women's basketball team played an exhibition game, and Paige didn't play in it, and a article about the game didn't say anything about why, it would not be considered a good write up of the game. Rather the writer would likely be bombarded by questions about just that (IMO!).
:eek:
You were expecting the article to address the players that didn't play or barely played in an exhibition game? That comparison to Paige and UCONN WBB your perspective is rather UCONN and Azzi centric (nothing wrong with it). This is not UCONN it is USA basketball which happen to have a pair of UCONN players on the team. It is not USA job to keep you informed of Azzi's health status. Paige is the current star of UCONN WBB where as Azzi is not expected to star on this team. Note that the expected star of this team Caitlin Clark actually played and was not mentioned in the article. UCONN WBB also has a horde or reporters (local and national) that covers the team on a regular basis. This USA basketball team will be lucky to have a couple reporters covering the team maybe once the tournament starts. Access to the players pre and post games is not the norm and don't expect national network coverage of the games except for possibly the finals. In summary you are projecting UCONN WBB expectations for media coverage (or lack of) unto this USA basketball team (U19) which has caused you to perceive an issue requiring explanation. I don't believe there is an issue because Azzi seemed fine in warmups.

Reaction Score
:eek:
You were expecting the article to address the players that didn't play or barely played in an exhibition game? That comparison to Paige and UCONN WBB your perspective is rather UCONN and Azzi centric (nothing wrong with it). This is not UCONN it is USA basketball which happen to have a pair of UCONN players on the team. It is not USA job to keep you informed of Azzi's health status. Paige is the current star of UCONN WBB where as Azzi is not expected to star on this team. Note that the expected star of this team Caitlin Clark actually played and was not mentioned in the article. UCONN WBB also has a horde or reporters (local and national) that covers the team on a regular basis. This USA basketball team will be lucky to have a couple reporters covering the team maybe once the tournament starts. Access to the players pre and post games is not the norm and don't expect national network coverage of the games except for possibly the finals. In summary you are projecting UCONN WBB expectations for media coverage (or lack of) unto this USA basketball team (U19) which has caused you to perceive an issue requiring explanation. I don't believe there is an issue because Azzi seemed fine in warmups.

Ohhh - I see now.

When you spoke of "perspective" to me before you thought I was complaining that USA basketball didn't send out a release or something? Nah - I was just "extremely disappointed" because I wanted to read about her play, and as a fan I just wanted to know. I was just being a fan. My disappointment was not directed at anyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom