Death Storm 2019 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Death Storm 2019

Reaction Score
you must not be a skier
I was as a kid. Was lucky enough to learn how to ski in Colorado. It wasn't an expensive hobby then, there was fresh powder, and you weren't dodging people on the mountain.

I could get a pass for the whole season at Mohawk in CT. for cheaper than what a single day lift ticket is at some mountains now.

Reaction Score
I was as a kid. Was lucky enough to learn how to ski in Colorado. It wasn't an expensive hobby then, there was fresh powder, and you weren't dodging people on the mountain.

I could get a pass for the whole season at Mohawk in CT. for cheaper than what a single day lift ticket is at some mountains now.

It's insane, but all part of the arms race between the mountains for more and faster lifts, which just means more people to ski around . . .

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Why do people still ski? $150 per person to wake up at 4:45 in the morning to avoid traffic and then stand on an overcrowded mountain.
Most people aren’t paying $150 for tickets. It’s all about selling season passes nowadays. Vail and Alterra own a huge chunk of the ski hills in the country and their ICON /EPIC pass give you access to each of their respective mountains. Their insane day pass prices drive people to buy season passes which encourages more visitation (more opportunities to spend on food/beverage/lodging etc.) and provides cash flow in the off season when they sell their passes. You have to be insane or rich to take your family on a one day ski trip. Thankfully, I get a Squaw Season pass with my job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup, if want to ski and don't have a pass, it will cost you $169 to ski Alpine/Squaw.

Reaction Score
Yup, if want to ski and don't have a pass, it will cost you $169 to ski Alpine/Squaw.
The snow dump there last week was insane.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The snow dump there last week was insane.
94 inches at higher elevations at Squaw last week. About 48 at out our house at lake level. A lot of snow but not officially insane.

Reaction Score
I've heard this, is it really that bad?

It's pretty bad on the weekend until about the last week in March. I ski at Loveland now, which is just a ski area with a lodge, and no resort/hotels whatsoever. They don't even have enough parking to hit anywhere close to their uphill capacity, so the mountain is usually not crowded. The Denver population has grown so much in the last 10 years, and everyone wants to ski.

Season passes out here are pretty reasonable. A Loveland season pass is ~$400, and there are other passes in that same price range (Keystone/ABasin, Winter Park etc). My 4 year old skis free until age 6.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's pretty bad on the weekend until about the last week in March. I ski at Loveland now, which is just a ski area with a lodge, and no resort/hotels whatsoever. They don't even have enough parking to hit anywhere close to their uphill capacity, so the mountain is usually not crowded. The Denver population has grown so much in the last 10 years, and everyone wants to ski.

Season passes out here are pretty reasonable. A Loveland season pass is ~$400, and there are other passes in that same price range (Keystone/ABasin, Winter Park etc). My 4 year old skis free until age 6.

Ever get down to Wolf Creek? I've got a buddy with a house there. Always wanted to go.

Reaction Score
Ever get down to Wolf Creek? I've got a b

I haven't but I've heard good things. It doesn't have a ton of vert, but they tend to get slammed with snow, moreso than other Colorado resorts, particularly storms on the southern track.

Reaction Score

it's funny, 4 years ago i drove out to denver to visit family. I had never snowboarded out west before, so i brought my board. I went once and it was to loveland and i loved it. Was like midweek and only $50-$60. Had a blast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Benja

Top Bottom