Death Storm 2019 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Death Storm 2019

Reaction Score
I left my car in the South Campus lot that weekend. I didn't see it again until late March. Started right up though.

I only had a smallish Suzuki streetbike, but my dad was mad I didn't go home from Storrs to shovel the driveway in Ansonia, 70 miles away.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
powder? uh, no. that would be utaaaaahhh. it's called 'sierra cement' for a good reason since ya got ur hot water to the west, and ya got ur dry cold spinning down from the east ---BOOM! ya got dumped! pushing snow Friday night between 9 and 10 pm that February blizzard about 6 years ago, I went back and noticed that 6" had fallen where I had just cleaned 1 hour ago.. wait, wut? 6" in 1 hour? I'd seen this movie before when I lived in truckee (luv,luv,luv reno and the correctly named heavenly valley) and it ain't pretty. the hot side of that storm brought ending epic ice to the southeast of the usual clash line between say, Hamden to Plymouth, mass, where the cape, Newport, and down to Clinton saw lots of buildings go boom...naaaasty spinner that one. as far as never ending, mind numbing lake effect snow, east of the "Lakes" (hehe 'lakes'--20% of the planets fresh water--'lakes') is where its at. luv me some buffalo, too. why do you think our snow military trains in the adirondacks? in the end though, it's heat that kills us new Englanders. not even close. check ur history books, its moar like endless high pressure hot that gets us.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm so pissed this is coming on MLK weekend. I'd be headed to the mountain for two days of great powder if it wasn't.

I'll never snowboard on MLK again tho. Too many rubes.

Reaction Score
I'm so pissed this is coming on MLK weekend. I'd be headed to the mountain for two days of great powder if it wasn't.

I'll never snowboard on MLK again tho. Too many rubes.

The only thing you'll be missing is the thousands of other people who already booked or are planning to go skiing the same weekend.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We are told its the fracture of the polar vortex. Hell and damnation for 40 days and 40 nights for all you sinners out there, the rest of us will be in Florida!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The only thing you'll be missing is the thousands of other people who already booked or are planning to go skiing the same weekend.

That's what I mean. Great powder dumps and I'm on it. But MLK weekend must be avoided at all costs. There's no more miserable feeling in the world than waiting 1 hr in a lift line, getting to the top, and realizing the entire mountain is tracked out.... with the cherry on top that you gotta dodge 5 yr old landmines all the way down. Even in the glades.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I left my car in the South Campus lot that weekend. I didn't see it again until late March. Started right up though.
I got married that week. Half my wedding party couldn't get there.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
powder? uh, no. that would be utaaaaahhh. it's called 'sierra cement' for a good reason since ya got ur hot water to the west, and ya got ur dry cold spinning down from the east ---BOOM! ya got dumped! pushing snow Friday night between 9 and 10 pm that February blizzard about 6 years ago, I went back and noticed that 6" had fallen where I had just cleaned 1 hour ago.. wait, wut? 6" in 1 hour? I'd seen this movie before when I lived in truckee (luv,luv,luv reno and the correctly named heavenly valley) and it ain't pretty. the hot side of that storm brought ending epic ice to the southeast of the usual clash line between say, Hamden to Plymouth, mass, where the cape, Newport, and down to Clinton saw lots of buildings go boom...naaaasty spinner that one. as far as never ending, mind numbing lake effect snow, east of the "Lakes" (hehe 'lakes'--20% of the planets fresh water--'lakes') is where its at. luv me some buffalo, too. why do you think our snow military trains in the adirondacks? in the end though, it's heat that kills us new Englanders. not even close. check ur history books, its moar like endless high pressure hot that gets us.

All I really understood is that you once lived in Truckee. When was that? Where did you work? It’s an awfully small town and we probably crossed paths. I’ll take Squaw over Heavenly, especially since it’s it’s an hour closer to Truckee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I lived in Ct 65 years and 78
was the biggest snowfall I’ve ever seen it was well over 30 inches
But 10-12 ft drifts were not uncommon.
I thought the totals in 2014 were close to 40 inches. Sorry I missed that one as I was golfing.
But I believe 1888 was like 48”
I actually cut grass for a neighbor when I was 14/15 she was in probably in her 60’s
But her mom who was probably in her 90’s lived with her and was still very sharp. Old people lived at home back then.
She had vivid memories of the blizzard of 1888 as a young girl living on a farm in Huntington Ct. tunneling to get out to the barn to feed the animals and milk the cows. I was amazed by her stories .

Reaction Score
I’ve often seen posts on the BY regarding “death storms” heading for Connecticut. For the record, your storms are for puss ees. We don’t mess around out here. “Dangerous and potentially life threatening”, “Even a short walk could be deadly if you become disoriented”. That’s how we roll in Reno/Tahoe.
View attachment 38317

I know how you roll...isn't this the area where the Donner party ate their own?

"Jamie, you may be gone but you'll always be part of us".

Reaction Score
Freekin' cannibals out near Truckee sniffing about how they be bad....

I'll buy that....b-b-b-bad to the bone....someone else's bone, that is.

Reaction Score
All I really understood is that you once lived in Truckee. When was that? Where did you work? It’s an awfully small town and we probably crossed paths. I’ll take Squaw over Heavenly, especially since it’s it’s an hour closer to Truckee.
Do you happen to know someone named Bernard out there?

Reaction Score
Think Bernard is gone....they sent that big ole mutt out to find the lost souls in the snow...the blizzard bound drank up the keg on his neck, made Bernard burgers out of him... partied like it was 1840.

But they still talk about him..."he was a saint".

Reaction Score
I actually do. Hotel food and beverage guy who worked at the Resort at Squaw Creek?
The Bernard I'm talking about does some sort of work in computers, he used to live in Truckee and Kings Beach is now on the Lake in Tahoe. If you ever met him you would remember him, he's hilarious.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The Blizzard of '78 dropped about 25"-30"in southern New England (MA, RI, and CT), but it followed the storm that collapsed the HCC roof.

It is certainly hazing, but I think the Blizzard of '78 is my earliest memory. As the years have gone by, I've learned that it was not the accumulation necessarily that was so remarkable about '78, but the inaccuracy of its forecast.

Actually, the '78 storm was pretty light and fluffy (for this area, anyway) but the situation was exacerbated by the high winds during the storm and continuing for the ensuing 48 hours. Road crews would plow a road and the wind would be blowing the snow right back in behind them. An hour later you couldn't tell the road had been plowed at all. On the third day, temps finally rose a bit and the snow started to melt enough to pack down from its own weight and stop the incessant drifting.

The video is a 24 hour time lapse from 2/2013 (Nemo)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pdxsumeet

Top Bottom