Dean Lockwood | The Boneyard

Dean Lockwood

Reaction Score
Dean Lockwood Named Associate Head Women’s Basketball Coach at Michigan State - Michigan State University Athletics

Dean’s opportunity was made possible by an interesting sequence of falling dominoes:
1). Warlick and her assistants (including Lockwood) were fired;
2). Kellie Harper was selected to replace Warlick at Tennessee.
3). Amaka Agugua-Hamilton, Assistant Coach at Michigan State, was selected to replace Harper at Missouri State.
4). Lockwood, a Michigan native, was selected to replace Agugua-Hamilton at Michigan State.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dean Lockwood Named Associate Head Women’s Basketball Coach at Michigan State - Michigan State University Athletics

Dean’s opportunity was made possible by an interesting sequence of falling dominoes:
1). Warlick and her assistants (including Lockwood) were fired;
2). Kellie Harper was selected to replace Warlick at Tennessee.
3). Amaka Agugua-Hamilton, Assistant Coach at Michigan State, was selected to replace Harper at Missouri State.
4). Lockwood, a Michigan native, was selected to replace Agugua-Hamilton at Michigan State.

That's quite the little circle there. Never was wowed by him based on what I've read/heard. Hoping Kellie nabs someone solid for the final assistant spot.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That's quite the little circle there. Never was wowed by him based on what I've read/heard. Hoping Kellie nabs someone solid for the final assistant spot.
She said she wants a recruiting whiz for her final spot. Here's an idea: Why not Holly Warlick? For all her reputed shortcomings, she's highly regarded as a recruiter!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
She said she wants a recruiting whiz for her final spot. Here's an idea: Why not Holly Warlick? For all her reputed shortcomings, she's highly regarded as a recruiter!

Lol thatd be quite a turn of events. I would've been thrilled if she tried to retain Reaves since she did a great job landing top kids for UT.

Reaction Score
What was his role under Holly? I don’t know much about him at all, but the consensus view that the Lady Vols were underachievers isn’t a particularly strong endorsement.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
What was his role under Holly? I don’t know much about him at all, but the consensus view that the Lady Vols were underachievers isn’t a particularly strong endorsement.
He had been there since 2004. He coached the post players.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
He had been there since 2004. He coached the post players.

Never was super impressed by post development under him with the exception of Harrison. The last highly rated bigs under him were Graves and Russell who both couldve been much better than they showed at UT. This last year both KK and Green were horrendous at finishing inside too. Would rather take a chance on a new coach.

Reaction Score
Mich St has had quite the TN connections. There was dopey plaid jacket guy with JPM, and wasn't Semeka Randall an asst there too?

Reaction Score
Never was super impressed by post development under him with the exception of Harrison. The last highly rated bigs under him were Graves and Russell who both couldve been much better than they showed at UT. This last year both KK and Green were horrendous at finishing inside too. Would rather take a chance on a new coach.
Graves came out swinging her freshman year and I kept waiting for her to get better, but it didn’t happen. I was never impressed with Russell.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Graves came out swinging her freshman year and it I kept waiting for her to get better, but it didn’t happen. I was never impressed with Russell.

Same. Graves had a better freshman campaign than Stewart most of the year and just never got better. Should've been an All American.

Russell had moments but was never a dominant back to the basket post like she couldve been. Also should've been much better.

Reaction Score
I honestly was never impressed with the development of his post players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Same. Graves had a better freshman campaign than Stewart most of the year and just never got better. Should've been an All American.

Russell had moments but was never a dominant back to the basket post like she couldve been. Also should've been much better.
Russell had some medical issue (foot?) that slowed her development early. But, honestly, I thought she could be much better if the guards would only pass to her. Granted, she didn’t fight for good position but, still, she occasionally showed some impressive moves

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Russell had some medical issue (foot?) that slowed her development early. But, honestly, I thought she could be much better if the guards would only pass to her. Granted, she didn’t fight for good position but, still, she occasionally showed some impressive moves
I think one thing that hurt Russell. Was when the team wasn't hitting outside shots. That caused the defense to sag inside.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

I'll give Lockwood credit for some development out of Russell. Russell was frustrating though because she gave inconsistent effort and never became a dominant player despite being 6-6 and skilled. I still think she should've been much better than she showed at Tennessee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom