Dara Mabrey of ND helped off court with serious leg injury. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dara Mabrey of ND helped off court with serious leg injury.

Reaction Score
Some follow-up here from a local writer. It's amazing just how many three's Dara Mabrey -- and her sisters -- have hit.

" (Dara) Mabrey made more 3-pointers in her career (301) than her older sisters Marina (274) and Michaela (288), who both played at Notre Dame. Michaela Mabrey has been an assistant coach for the Irish since 2019, and Marina Mabrey will be entering her fifth season in the WNBA, the last three of which she’s played for the Dallas Wings"

Alas, no more familiar shots of a Mabrey setting their legs and letting it rip. I've watched all three in both high school and college and can't believe I won't see a Mabrey between the lines any more. Best to Dara in her surgery and recovery and next steps, whatever they may be. If she continues to show the drive she always had, I'm sure she'll be fine.

Gotta give Dara a lot of credit for a really classy, and hopeful, message to her teammates and ND fans.

Reaction Score
I have been thinking about all these injuries lately and wondering if it has to do with improper/over training in high school. Now more than ever before elite high school girls are working with individual trainers.....I wonder if some of these trainers aren't well versed in training growing female bodies and the end result is more and more injuries as these players reach the next level where the demands are higher. Essentially, the damage is done before they get to play college ball.
Women are always going to suffer ACL tears at a higher rate than the men’s game.

Reaction Score
so bummed, idk if there's a possible way she gets another year but she hopefully does. She deserves it.

Reaction Score
Women are always going to suffer ACL tears at a higher rate than the men’s game.
I am not comparing the women to the men. I am comparing the women today to women 20 yrs ago and I'm not really concerned about any one specific type of injury. There seem to be more injuries overall now.......

Reaction Score
I share in the sentiment that you hate to see a player end their college career with an injury like that. I hope the healing process goes well for the young lady.
As a Uconn fan, the reason she was so annoying to us is because she was so competitive, and could shoot.
( I am hoping thats the last of the Mabrey's we will see, lol)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The Mabreys are a competitive lot, and have given UConn fits for years. But I think no one wants to see an opponent injured. I wish her a good recovery and her team good luck in all but one more game this year.

Reaction Score
so bummed, idk if there's a possible way she gets another year but she hopefully does. She deserves it.
Unfortunately, her collegiate playing days are done. It sucks!

Reaction Score
Hate to see anyone end their college career with an injury, especially a starter for a team that has a good chance to play well into the tournament. The Mabrey's all have a lot of grit about them so she will come back from this and even if she never plays in the WNBA she will probably land on her feet.

Reaction Score
I am not comparing the women to the men. I am comparing the women today to women 20 yrs ago and I'm not really concerned about any one specific type of injury. There seem to be more injuries overall now.......
Ah. My misunderstanding. I think the sport is much more physically demanding than thirty years ago. It places more strain on the players per game, and there are more games and less downtime due to growth of travel ball.

Reaction Score
Ah. My misunderstanding. I think the sport is much more physically demanding than thirty years ago. It places more strain on the players per game, and there are more games and less downtime due to growth of travel ball.
Playing almost year round is not good on the body. They have the AAU circuit during the spring and summer when their body should be recovering when in High school.
You have Many of the WNBA players being hurt playing year round.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

I'm afraid not. Thisi was already Dara's "Covid" year and she's played more than half the season.
While she won't be able to play, you can bet she'll make her presence known (check the sidelines in future games!)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm afraid not. Thisi was already Dara's "Covid" year and she's played more than half the season.
While she won't be able to play, you can bet she'll make her presence known (check the sidelines in future games!)
How does ND fill Dara's void? She wasn't shooting great per se' but seemed to add to the ND edginess that is/was always pervasive....

Also, I do not see Dara making a WNBA team, whether she can go oversees is an unknown so I wonder if she will follow in Mick's coaching steps....Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I think she will make a great women's coach. Hopefully she stays within program, idk if she would pursue Wnba career.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think she will make a great women's coach. Hopefully she stays within program, idk if she would pursue Wnba career.
Last night she was at the end of the bench and in the fourth quarter, the camera did a cutaway and she was holding a video camera (probably James Spinelli's, the video director for ND) and was obviously reviewing something. She'll keep busy: her potential coaching acumen is already noted; and, she has expressed a possible interest in television.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom