Danger! | The Boneyard

Danger!

Reaction Score
OK, I know it's just been a couple of exhibition games against hopelessly overmatched opponents, but...

Because we UConn fans are so outrageously spoiled, extending even to totally unrealistic expectations of Freshman players, particularly those adapting to the hardest-to-learn positions at the highest level of the game...

and because our short memories contribute to an embarrassing level of forgetfulness insofar as the long-experienced UConn Sophomore leap is concerned (e.g., Moriah herself)...

and because, irrespective of the fact that Geno has demonstrated again and again his bias for a clear dynamic on the floor at the outset of most games...

there was, to my amusement, broad pre-season disagreement on our Board as to whether or not Crystal would even start, much less merge as a truly elite point guard and floor general.

I don't know about my many friends here, but what I see is a player out there who is rapidly becoming ready to be handed the keys to the Ferrari. Fasten your seatbelts!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
OK, I know it's just been a couple of exhibition games against hopelessly overmatched opponents, but...

Because we UConn fans are so outrageously spoiled, extending even to totally unrealistic expectations of Freshman players, particularly those adapting to the hardest-to-learn positions at the highest level of the game...

and because our short memories contribute to an embarrassing level of forgetfulness insofar as the long-experienced UConn Sophomore leap is concerned (e.g., Moriah herself)...

and because, irrespective of the fact that Geno has demonstrated again and again his bias for a clear dynamic on the floor at the outset of most games...

there was, to my amusement, broad pre-season disagreement on our Board as to whether or not Crystal would even start, much less merge as a truly elite point guard and floor general.

I don't know about my many friends here, but what I see is a player out there who is rapidly becoming ready to be handed the keys to the Ferrari. Fasten your seatbelts!

Sorry to disappoint you but, Uconn is not a Ferrari. This Uconn team is a Lamborghini Veneno!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m sort of old school. Danger should be handed the keys to a vintage 1964 Pontiac GTO Tri-Power, with 348 HP & 428 ft-lbs of Torque.

Reaction Score
Outrageously spoiled to be sure. According to my eye, we have seven players, all of whom would start on any other team in the nation. And that's just the way I like it. The Huskies have one very important goal this year (maybe two, as a lot of people would love to see Kia on that wall). Why on earth would we want this to be a fair fight?

Reaction Score

You are absolutely correct. I was one who thought no way she would start ahead of Z. She looks like a much more confident player, really taking charge of the offensive flow. I think Kia is already showing the benefit.

Reaction Score
Geno talks about the freshman to sophomore improvement. That is the big step from a HS AA to becoming a great college player. For Stewie it occurred toward the end of her first season, D was always great. Big jump in Lou and Phese. This may be somewhat particular to Geno’s program. Granted that I am a more casual observer of other programs, but it seems that other highly rated freshman don’t make those great improvements in their game.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely correct. I was one who thought no way she would start ahead of Z. She looks like a much more confident player, really taking charge of the offensive flow. I think Kia is already showing the benefit.
Thank you, MHS, for your analysis and your honesty. I think that we fans consistently fall into the trap of relying too heavily on numbers. For example, I suspect that Z will, over the course of the season, get nearly as many minutes as Crystal, and will put up more ppg. But getting points on the board is not, and will not be a problem for this team. The two key words you used are “offensive flow.” If those two words appeared together in a basketball dictionary, Geno’s picture would appear adjacently. If you ever wish to engage in an exercize in how spoiled we are as fans in this regard, watch a few minutes of a televised Lady Vol game. Now, I know that any comparison between Geno and that poor girl coaching Tenn is laughable, but we are so accustomed to a finely-tuned version of what offensive flow is supposed to look like it comes as a shock when we are confronted with the complete absence of it. Therein lies Geno’s huge point guard-driven bias, and Crystal (just like Moriah before her) had to endure and surmount a tough freshman learning curve to get there...not that she is yet a “finished project,” but the progression seems undeniable!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

I think she's going to need to be driving a vehicle that holds five.

Reaction Score
The progress is remarkable. What I see is the lack of hesitation. Her speed was already the best on the floor but now she’s utilizing it to the max, moving completely instinctively around and over screens to the right spots. She’s always seen the floor well but now she gets the ball to the cutters with no hesitation. If she starts hitting the 3s consistently, she’ll be unmanageable for the defense.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

All Kia has to do is run to her spot behind the arc on offense, and wait for the ball to come around to her for a w-i-d-e open look at the basket, just like she did repeatedly Sunday, she shot 100% (21 points in 3 quarters). An opponent's worse nightmare. :eek:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All Kia has to do is run to her spot behind the arc on offense, and wait for the ball to come around to her for a w-i-d-e open look at the basket, just like she did repeatedly Sunday, she shot 100% (21 points in 3 quarters). An opponent's worse nightmare. :eek:
I believe on the roster of UConn toxic options, Kia is listed as Poison #4 or #5 when opposing teams are picking their poison...;)

Reaction Score
A big key for Crystal is her defense. That was a big problem for her in several games. So far this season I am encouraged,but we will see with better competition.
Agree with this being an issue last year. I would be happy to see an above average defensive player this year. She can be exceptional by Junior year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I sure like the way Dangerfield has started. I was one who always thought Geno would not put a starting line-up on the floor without a true PG if he had one available and he would need to tinker with the forwards not the guards this year. I am expecting that she will have some struggles this year (most players do over the course of a year) and I could see most of her struggles starting on defense. But, the team just looks smoother when she is on the floor than when she is not, regardless of the other 4 on the court with her.

On that front, I was surprised that it looks like AEH and Bent are ahead of Coombs as back up PGs.

My other observation from the Ashland game - the 'forgotten' transfer, Camara is going to be missed until she gets back on the court. The team needs a little toughness down on the blocks.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I believe on the roster of UConn toxic options, Kia is listed as Poison #4 or #5 when opposing teams are picking their poison...;)

And that is the problem for every team we will play - name your poison. We have the potential for any of our 6 starters to score double figures and burn a team on any given night. Our 6 starters have the potential to score double figures every game. Reality for our opponents, if you choose to double team a UConn player, you have left someone wide open!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And that is the problem for every team we will play - name your poison. We have the potential for any of our 6 starters to score double figures and burn a team on any given night. Our 6 starters have the potential to score double figures every game. Reality for our opponents, if you choose to double team a UConn player, you have left someone wide open!
You may well need to add MW as a potential 7th poison to add to the list.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom