Dan Hurley- Coach of the year? | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley- Coach of the year?

Reaction Score
Easily in the conversation. Coach has really done an excellent job with roster construction, navigating the portal, building a culture, great staff, etc. Defense is always his trademark, but his offense is finally flowing this season too. We haven’t been in a close game yet but his X’s and O’s are seemingly improved as well. Looks like he’s taken to the feedback and constructive criticism well.

Reaction Score
Oh god please someone post this to the Cuse board, the place will implode.
They’re finally accepting reality. And it’s delicious.

02B5D0CD-B064-41EF-8E90-050478CF8987.jpeg

caw

Reaction Score
Quarter of the way through the season, yes. Painter is just behind him IMO, and it's close. Slightly after them Willard.

Reaction Score
That 4 game stretch, starting with Nova, then Xavier, Providence, and ending with Creighton will say a ton, and we can even stretch that an additional two games to Marquette who recently slammed Baylor in possibly one of the best-played games of the year by any team, and St. Johns who looks pretty darn good, maybe not vintage, but will be a tough out just the same. If they are sitting pretty after those 4 (or 6 games) we can really start to think big regarding COY and other nice stuff, IMO.

But first, beat freakin' Creighton once and for all (lost 5 games by a total of 19 points including an OT game) and revenge vs Providence for that loss last year.

Reaction Score

Let’s not forget all the people who ripped him to shreds after losing in the tourney last year, saying he could be fired after this season. And the people who essentially gave up on him after losing Diggins, Floyd, Akok, etc.

I’ve always felt fortunate and relieved that he chose us in 2018 and couldn’t feel more strongly about that today.

Reaction Score
So.. I was one of the critics of DH's in-game coaching strategies and occasional over-reacting to the ref's calls --Sometimes to the detriment of the team.. In years past . However,talent on the roster/success with your team/staff can make up for some perceived deficiencies.

However--This year--Even early in the schedule.. I have seen a coach in control... Well-prepared.. Upbeat and positive.. A steadying force for the guys. Self-aware of his influence on the finished product on the floor. He is evolving and growing as a coach right in front of us. Looks like he's really enjoying this team.

Irrespective of our final record this year.. And we all want and should expect a deep Tournament run.. Give credit where credit is due.. DH has done an awesome job with this group and deserves any and all accolades that come his way. I'm sure JC and Danny's Dad are proud of the growth he's shown.

Saddle up for the BE wars. Should be quite a ride.

Reaction Score
So.. I was one of the critics of DH's in-game coaching strategies and occasional over-reacting to the ref's calls --Sometimes to the detriment of the team.. In years past . However,talent on the roster/success with your team/staff can make up for some perceived deficiencies.

However--This year--Even early in the schedule.. I have seen a coach in control... Well-prepared.. Upbeat and positive.. A steadying force for the guys. Self-aware of his influence on the finished product on the floor. He is evolving and growing as a coach right in front of us. Looks like he's really enjoying this team.

Irrespective of our final record this year.. And we all want and should expect a deep Tournament run.. Give credit where credit is due.. DH has done an awesome job with this group and deserves any and all accolades that come his way. I'm sure JC and Danny's Dad are proud of the growth he's shown.

Saddle up for the BE wars. Should be quite a ride.
Great points.

I also wonder if Calhoun is having an impact. He’s not coaching a team so maybe he’s hanging around Storrs more often? Seems like DH views him as a resource from prior stories

Reaction Score
I honestly don't see a team in college basketball that I wouldn't confidently say we should win by double digits besides Purdue and maybe Houston.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Incredible performance by Coach Hurley.

Here’s an interesting question. In retrospect, Should Hurley have just blown up the roster and brought all of his own guys in and installed the 4 out as soon as he got hired? Or did it need to be this 5 year rebuild?

Reaction Score
Here’s an interesting question. In retrospect, Should Hurley have just blown up the roster and brought all of his own guys in and installed the 4 out as soon as he got hired?
No. Cobb, Yakwe, and Carlton weren't nearly as good as Sanogo.
Or did it need to be this 5 year rebuild?
Yes.

He's not a quick fix guy, and he's said that. That's not his style. He needs/needed to be true to what made him successful. Yes, the transfer portal has been huge for us this year, however, the backbone of this team is the leadership of junior AJax, and inside/out combination of junior Sanogo/sophomore Hawkins.

Reaction Score
Incredible performance by Coach Hurley.

Here’s an interesting question. In retrospect, Should Hurley have just blown up the roster and brought all of his own guys in and installed the 4 out as soon as he got hired? Or did it need to be this 5 year rebuild?
You act like its been 5 grueling years. He took a team that was in no mans land and made the tournament in 2 years. I don't believe the transfer portal rules were the same when he initially came over - where you are required to sit out for a year.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
It's a bit early for COY talk IMO but the change from last year? Hurley has turned the corner and it sure looks like it was the roster holding him back to some extent. I was definitely one of the ones that was questioning his leadership and coaching and I'm very happy to eat crow on this, he's looking so much better this year. Even the little stuff like TOs are better.

I certainly hope he earns COY because we know what else will likely come with that :)

Reaction Score
Just playing devils advocate what about the coach from Purdue?
Both Coaches over delivering based on preseason expectations.
Painter starting 2 Freshman guards- no seniors on the team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom