Dallas Wings vs Las Vegas Aces - 8/02/20 | The Boneyard

Dallas Wings vs Las Vegas Aces - 8/02/20

Reaction Score
Palmetto, FL - Court 1 - 6:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN2

Video stream:
Dallas Wings vs. Las Vegas Aces | Watch ESPN (tvpli)

League Pass:

Game page:

ESPN Gamecast:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
First game I've been able to watch since opening day. LV was up big early but Dallas has erased most of the lead. Arike heated up, but it looked to me like the game changed when KLS and Alarie checked in. Neither has scored, but they've changed the energy level and are making hustle plays. MoJeff got off to a slow start but got going once she came back in. Harris gives them a nice 1-2 punch of speedy PGs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The male announcer is getting Alarie and KLS confused constantly. It's pretty easy, one has a bun and one has a pony tail. Jeez.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Q2 is a brick fest for both teams. Dallas is 1-17 from 3 for the game. Ouch. LV slowing building the lead back up. Alarie should be on the floor, went downhill as soon as she checked out. Only 2 points but a nose for rebounds and she was doing a good job challenging shots by the Aces' post players.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Alarie comes back in late in Q2 and Dallas immediately goes on a 7-0 run. This isn't complicated, they're better when she's on the floor.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What? They called McBride for a charge against Jefferson but simultaneously she was fouled by Alarie so there was a jump ball? I have never seen that before.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
11-2 run to end the half, Dallas back within 5.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What? They called McBride for a charge against Jefferson but simultaneously she was fouled by Alarie so there was a jump ball? I have never seen that before.

They corrected themselves and said 1 ref said charge and another said def. foul hence the jumpball. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They corrected themselves and said 1 ref said charge and another said def. foul hence the jumpball. :rolleyes:

Yeah, still never seen it. Usually when the refs have a conference they manage to come to a consensus. Never seen a disagreement on whether there was an offensive or defensive foul that they can't work out among themselves.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yeah, still never seen it. Usually when the refs have a conference they manage to come to a consensus. Never seen a disagreement on whether there was an offensive or defensive foul that they can't work out among themselves.

Just a guess but perhaps the replay technology in the bubble is not as advanced? Replays are run very infrequently and there have definitely been more jump balls than normal although I have not concentrated on why. I really hate the jump ball. Such a goofy anachronism

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Noteworthy that Lindsay Allen is playing today. Must've been determined that she had a false positive test.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
66-56 LV thru Q3. Too many TOs for the Aces or the lead would be much bigger. Dallas just can't shoot, 3-25 from 3.

So...Arike hit DRob in the back of the head w/ a forearm on a loose ball scramble and DRob was whistled for a foul. Huh?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wilson hasn't exactly been dominant, but the points are adding up. She's leading everybody w/ 19.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arike has ZERO FTA w/ 6 minutes left in the game. I wouldn't think that is possible.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There's been a Mabrey sighting. She's buried deep on the bench, came in w/ just over 2 minutes left. I was assuming she wasn't available.

Reaction Score
They need to stop all of their petty foul calls and let the players play! I've been noticing an awful lot of calls this year for nothing. When you see it on replay, you can't see the foul! McBride had just started a drive to the basket and fell, A foul was called. When they showed it in slow-mo it looked like she tripped over her own feet, but because someone (with their back to her) was close, they called it a foul! This league has become too namby-pamby like. :mad:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
79-70 final. Aces had 5 in double figures, Wings had 2. Dallas just couldn't shoot, 36% from the floor. Arike was 10-22, so you can't blame it on her.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I noted that KLS and Alarie did some nice things for Dallas, but they scored a combined 9 points on 3-13 shooting in 32 minutes. Need more offensive punch from that duo.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Dallas plays like a "me" team. Leads the league in shots at 75 a game. Near the bottom in assists at 14.5 per game. Chucking up a ton of shots with players in their faces. Pretty sure AO leads the league in shots taken.

Reaction Score
Dallas plays like a "me" team. Leads the league in shots at 75 a game. Near the bottom in assists at 14.5 per game. Chucking up a ton of shots with players in their faces. Pretty sure AO leads the league in shots taken.
My thoughts exactly. They are not a passing team. This team and New York are both very young squads and the makeup of the rosters don’t make sense to me. —After last year I’m sure Ogunbowale feel like it’s her team and everything goes through her. She was one of 5/22fg, 1/10 3pt fg last game and 10/22, 0/5 this game. They should play through Sabally who had 23 points on way less attempts and 17 rebounds their last game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They should play through Sabally who had 23 points on way less attempts and 17 rebounds their last game.

Different story today. 10 points on 3-10 overall and 0-4 behind the arc. She's a rookie, she'll have ups and downs.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I realize that Dallas is a very young team, but surely Agler should be able to help a very talented group of players have some semblance of an offense beyond jacking up 3's and driving to the basket. I realize this is homer speak, but watching a bunch of teams in the WNBA this year makes me appreciate last season's Oregon offense (and, of course, the person who ran it) even more than I did previously.

I suspect that running things though Sabally won't really help much, although she is a solid passer on the way to becoming a very good one and a very unselfish player overall, neither of which would hurt. And she could be devastating initiating pick and rolls. But the team desperately needs someone to help organize/run their half-court offense, assuming there is one to run. As talented as Moriah Jefferson is, she doesn't seem to me to be the kind of point guard this team needs: that is, a point guard who makes things happen for her teammates. In this regard, I think Harris is the better choice, and to my eyes the offense looks a bit smoother when she is on the court. So, as an armchair and completely non-expert coach, I'd start Harris and Arike in the backcourt, with Alarie and Sabally up front + one other player tbd. And I wouldn't hesitate to pull Arike if she starts thinking she can/should do everything herself.

Reaction Score

The leading shot takers
C8F552C2-0F87-4FCA-ACF2-EC8DC55AF630.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom