Daily Campus Columnist Wants to Rename UConn Mascot, Because 'Jonathan' Trumbull Had Racist Past | The Boneyard

Daily Campus Columnist Wants to Rename UConn Mascot, Because 'Jonathan' Trumbull Had Racist Past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Possible alternatives? I’m sure many would advocate for Geno, commemorating the coach who will leave behind the most successful legacy in college basketball history. Honey is another strong sports-related contender, after Harrison “Honey” Fitch, who became the first Black student-athlete to attend the university in 1932 – not to mention the nickname is gender-neutral; who says our mascot has to be male? Rivers, after Weezer’s Rivers Cuomo, who attended both Mansfield Middle School and E.O. Smith High School, would be a hilarious yet fitting name given the band’s recent resurgence in popularity."

Reaction Score
I'm with it. I don't think anyone would miss the anyway, and the vast majority of fans wouldn't even know it happened. That is, of course, unless people make a big stink about it and it becomes a news story.

However, I'm not sure how much a Daily Campus op-ed moves the needle on something like this.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think it should be renamed Corny. He put UConn sports on the map.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
no.
make that 'heck no.'
check that, make it 'up urs, no.'
for those actually moving around in the real world, pc is sooo yesterday, but for real societal issues. folks got much bigger real concerns these days, like prices of stuff and other important issues, like how to heat the homestead, find some housing that they can pay for without needing 3 jobs, wondering if some nutcase really plans to launch nukes, ya know, stuff like that.

honey? honey? what are we, ordering breakfast at the diner? 'more coffee when u have a minute, please.'
'coming right up, honey.'

Reaction Score
Rename the dog after someone else named Jonathan.
Jonathan Winters? Jonathan Edwards, born in Connecticut and was famous theologian, won't work. He owned several slaves.

Reaction Score
Rename the dog after someone else named Jonathan.
nice!!

jonathans.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
who is this? is it auggie doggie as he departs for his european wedding vacation? is that bag loaded with pizza? cowboy ribeyes?
mebbe it's a pic of him upon return. if so, i bet that bag is filled with hotel towels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro