Curran and Sellers among candidates for CCSU job | The Boneyard

Curran and Sellers among candidates for CCSU job

Reaction Score
Curran, the associate head coach at St. Bonaventure, was a CCSU assistant under Howie Dickenman in 2005-10. He joined St. Bonaventure as part of Mark Schmidt's staff in 2010 and was promoted to associate head coach in 2018.

Sellers, a Fairfield assistant under Jay Young, is a 1991 Central graduate. He was an assistant at Central in 1999-00 and has also coached at UConn, Fairleigh Dickinson, DePaul, UMass, Creighton, and Hofstra.

Sellers and Young were finalists for the CCSU job in 2016 before Donyell Marshall was hired. Marshall was 40-104 over five seasons and his contract was not renewed.

Reaction Score
Gotta be honest, for CCSU those two are solid options.

Both candidates are very similar in that they've started their coaching careers in '94 and their coaching paths crossed New Britain. They've worked hard to get where they are at and both have earned their opportunity to get their first head coaching gig.

That being said, Steve Curran might have the leg up as he's currently the AHC under one of the best mid-major coaches in the country. That's more appealing on both on Curran has a more advanced role within his team and also Saint Bonaventure is a more respected program than Fairfield.

Reaction Score
Jacobs is reporting hearing a few additional names ...

Mike Donnelly - Head Coach at D-II Florida Southern; former HC at D-II Southern Connecticut; played 2 years at CCSU before transferring to then D-II Sacred Heart. Built nationally-ranked D-II programs in CT and FL. Played HS at St. Joes - Trumbull.

Matt Kingsley - Associate Head Coach at Yale; on James Jones' staff for 15 years; assistant at Eastern Connecticut and St. Thomas Moore Prep; from West Haven and graduated from Wesleyan.

Grant Billmeier - Assistant at Seton Hall; one season as assistant at FDU; Seton Hall '07

Reported that former Penn State interim HC Jim Ferry was interested before getting the UMBC job.

Reaction Score
Gotta be honest, for CCSU those two are solid options.

Both candidates are very similar in that they've started their coaching careers in '94 and their coaching paths crossed New Britain. They've worked hard to get where they are at and both have earned their opportunity to get their first head coaching gig.

That being said, Steve Curran might have the leg up as he's currently the AHC under one of the best mid-major coaches in the country. That's more appealing on both on Curran has a more advanced role within his team and also Saint Bonaventure is a more respected program than Fairfield.

Both Curran and Sellers were finalists last time around, along with Young (Fairfield), Holloway (St. Peter's) and Grasso (Bryant). The selection of an inexperienced Donyell Marshall by our former Chief Administrative Officer, and not the former Athletics Director, set the program on a 5-year implosion. Anyone who thought that was a good idea at the time (including the CAO) was wearing UConn glasses.

New interim AD, Chief Operating Officer, and President this time around. As long as there are no surprises, we should be in good shape.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I hope they go with Sellers. That's basically his dream job, and if he gets it he'll stay there until they make him leave.
In 4 years. Let’s be honest, it’s a tough gig!

Reaction Score
Grass is doing an excellent job at Bryant and would have been great choice for CCSU the last time around.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We prove once again what age group we are in.
Pretty great roster and pretty great season for a 6th grader, in his 3rd season going to games at the Field House, and having even seen the newcomers (WesB, Hollowatty, Pendees, Ritter) that year in freshman games that preceded the main event.

Reaction Score
As if we haven't pissed off Seton Hall enough by jumping back into the Big East, let's annoy them some more and have CCSU steal one of their assistants

Reaction Score
Some Guy's take on the Central search.

With Central there always seem to be a lot of cooks involved. Too many non-athletic people can mean a lot of folks giving different weight to different agenda and, thus, a different final decision..

For what’s it worth, once source is telling me it’s 1. Sellers and 2. Jefferson. Another is saying either Sellers or Curran. A third source said don’t waste your time, it’s Sellers. Take your pick.

Reaction Score
Lol. I didn’t post this when I typed it this morning. Great clip:

I might pick Sorrentine. He’s a personal hero for his heroics for UVM against Syracuse in 2005. I had the fortune of being in a small and crowded bar in Stowe VT for that game. “From the parkin lot!”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom