Cuisines of the World, Ranked from Best to Worst | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cuisines of the World, Ranked from Best to Worst

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you expect everything to be like it is here, maybe you are missing the point of traveling.

It's been 13 years, and they may not have Maxwell House or weak "donutshop" blends, but I don't remember having trouble finding regular old medium bodied coffee in Italy. Particularly in the cities.

Reaction Score
There really is no such thing as "medium bodied" restaurant Italian coffee...none are brewed. All are derivations of espresso...you can call a cappucino a medium body coffee but it isn't really coffee. It is an espresso derived creation.

American coffee and commercial Italian coffee really are two different beverages...it's OK to have a preference.

Italian coffee is stronger in taste and has more caffeine per ounce....Cuban coffee is also espresso based but sweetened.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can we all agree, a fruit is not "cuisine"? Honestly, neither is coffee.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You know, it is OK to prefer coffee over espresso....

I think most folks expect cuisine to differ around the world...but that still does not deny preferences.

While i have enjoyed curried goat in a village in Jamaica, and food from street stalls in Mexico, Olongopo, etc....I really don't like the hot peppers of Ethiopian food, am not a fan of hummus....Heck, I did not like Poutine which I tried in Maine summer before last.

And to many, Ramps, a western North Carolina dish, are not enjoyable. They have a pungent taste.
While i have enjoyed curried goat in a village in Jamaica,
ok, this brought back a funny memory, having to do with my affinity for the noble cheese sammich.
anytime i travel outside our nifty fifty, it's always not long before i crack and have to hit a super or such to get some normal and familiar food, and away from such delicacies like fried warthog offal sauteed in a delicate bernaise, or that lovely 'charcutery' (really, really don't like that word. seemingly, it only pops up in places east of the Hudson and south of mt greylock.) with pickled monkey brains and smoked giraffe horns.
so, hanging around Jamaica for a few weeks, based mostly in Ocho Rios, i'd only been there for a few days before my local cuisine meter hit "enough!' time to find a stop and shop! (that never works almost anywhere in crapistans). things were sketchy in the big towns there (they always are) and i was warned off going to MBay to find stuff.
say what? im from Bridgeport, so forget that. i find something that looks like a store (usual world crowd outside of it - 'got change? got change? and im pretty sure leprosy is still around), i go in, and find it - a normal bread, a block of normal cheese, it looked like velveeta or some kind of cheddar, and a jar of helman's. i jump back in the car with my pals, who never left the car becuz they were not from Bridgeport, rip the bread, whack off a chunk of cheese, add the mayo, and party on. now im set for the adventures ahead becuz i got my staples -cheese, bread, yogurt, under my control back at the villa in chez overpriced.
within a nanosecond, those car people were like 'that looks good, don't hide it, divide it.'
Jamaica, part deux deux. new local pal tries to discourage my typical interest in getting out there and all up in it. let's head for the hills, i say.
he sez, not good, mon, gets weird up there.
off we go. he insists on driving. 'hill preachers, voodoo doctors, aki -here we come!' at a typical crapistan location, where 2 dirt roads intersect, ubiquitous drink seller on a corner, stop signs, we're stopped and a teenager (mebbe not, mebbe 12) tosses a gallon sized ziploc full of cocaine, thru my open window, and onto my lap (bud sez, 'told u mon, up here it gets weird'). i freak abit, immediately wing it back at him after making certain it was closed as it would have gone from bad to worse if it spilled out all over the place, and now some posse would try to chase us to make good. he floors it, we roll out, and i say a prayer.
people often ask me whistfully, aboot some far off place id been and they always hoped to go. i always say 'u ain't missing nuthin. just watch that natgeo Amazon River thing on ur jumbotron, grab some snacks, be thankful that u won't be getting the runs in aboot 5 minutes, leave ur wallet on the coffee table, and thank the good lord that a vastly superior drink of water is right there, at the end of ur hosepipe.
that's a really big sorepoint for me, the fact that almost everywhere not here, the water really, really, sucks. bigtime.
imma water Rockafeller. foreign stuff, except mebbe in north Italy or that Van place near the caucuses, really, really blows chunks. wears u out. i'd rather be in Arkansas.
note: when im in charge, the coffee is always chock full o nuts, folgers, 8 o'clock, or maxwell house and such. it's good to the last drop, and them folks been doing it for over a century, so they got it down right.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Can we all agree, a fruit is not "cuisine"? Honestly, neither is coffee.
it isn't? then why are soo many dishes with pineapple often called 'Hawaiian whatever?'
there are a pantload more of examples.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
it isn't? then why are soo many dishes with pineapple often called 'Hawaiian whatever?'
there are a pantload more of examples.
Honeycrisp Apples and Florida oranges are not "cuisine". Apple Pie is cuisine.

Reaction Score
CliffSpiffy....

We were in Jamaica during the 1980-81 political conflict with warring gangs supporting different parties....(the PNP and JLP).

Warned not to leave the confines of Montego Bay, I rebelled and rented a car and drove up injto the mountains to Maroon Town....on the way back to Rose Hill/Montego. we came around a bend and there were armed civilians in the road with a roadblock. They emptied my wife's purse, inspected the trunk of the vehicle for possible goodies..Ending up taking only our cash and leaving the credit cards.

We rolled back down into civilization...My sweetie said.."Well, the goat was good, and 10 minutes of terror makes for a lifetime of storytelling".

I love that woman and her ability to have adventure amongst real fears...she has shown that trait a handful of times.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
CliffSpiffy....

We were in Jamaica during the 1980-81 political conflict with warring gangs supporting different parties....(the PNP and JLP).

Warned not to leave the confines of Montego Bay, I rebelled and rented a car and drove up injto the mountains to Maroon Town....on the way back to Rose Hill/Montego. we came around a bend and there were armed civilians in the road with a roadblock. They emptied my wife's purse, inspected the trunk of the vehicle for possible goodies..Ending up taking only our cash and leaving the credit cards.

We rolled back down into civilization...My sweetie said.."Well, the goat was good, and 10 minutes of terror makes for a lifetime of storytelling".

I love that woman and her ability to have adventure amongst real fears...she has shown that trait a handful of times.
this is cool.
im thankful for both our escapes.
im also thankful that ur story wins hands down at cocktail parties.
mine didn't have guns this time, and that's the way i prefer them.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i hear that the water can be good in the andes. i once thought that id head there, especially to check out that desert over the west slopes where is hasn't rained since van buren's inauguration.
ya, umm no. i also canceled my thoughts of the past to check out the himalyas, where they also say the water can be good, and i got family there in Nepal.
forget all that. those days are au revoir, over. seen more than enuf to think 'what the heck am i doing here?'
something here in the States? boom, im after it in a second, especially if i only have to rely on my ride, or the Amtrak, which is awesome.

Bermuda? as if. i'll take South Padre or south New London instead.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm bastardizing some eastern Mediterranean tonight. Borrowing from North Africa, Middle East and maybe some Greek influences with a Shakshouka. Putting a twist using some cubed up and grilled acorn squash and egg plant to give it some more texture.
I can't be the only one that never heard of this. Googled it up and I'll definitely be making it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You know, it is OK to prefer coffee over espresso....

I think most folks expect cuisine to differ around the world...but that still does not deny preferences.

While i have enjoyed curried goat in a village in Jamaica, and food from street stalls in Mexico, Olongopo, etc....I really don't like the hot peppers of Ethiopian food, am not a fan of hummus....Heck, I did not like Poutine which I tried in Maine summer before last.

And to many, Ramps, a western North Carolina dish, are not enjoyable. They have a pungent taste.
Thanks I had no idea. People have different tastes?
I was referring to people who travel to different countries and are upset when the food, lodgings aǹd language are different than in America., not about preferences.

Reaction Score
Well...the way your post followed the two about preferring American coffee over Italian, that was not clear. It is not being upset, it is discussing likes and dislikes. I did not like espresso and that was what was available...That, my friend, is my preference.

Of course you don't expect foreign places to be the same as the place where you are a habitue.

For instance, I was taken aback that folks actually put clams on a pizza in New England.

My reading on the subject found that clams on a pizza was the creation of Frank Pepe in New Haven in the 60's.

Reaction Score
and for your listening pleasure, i present 'the chickens' as they sing their wildly popular 'ode to chicken and pork.'
they're wildly popular, and iffn u look around with eyes wide open, u will see, garuntee, a world slowly growing addicted to eating mostly just those.

don't see it? hmmmmm,
what are you having for dinner this eve?
or lunch?

hey! i can hear you nervously looking at the floor.... i got good ears.
work a little pan fried trout or spaghetti and beefballs into the mix. or a lettuce, tomato, and cucumber sammich with cheese and your favorite dressing.
your body will thank you.

and, on a strictly taste opinion basis, i find chicken breasts to be nothing more than bird flavored cotton. no wonder that they have to do stuff to it to make it barely palatable.
fish steak, beef steak, and such? toss it on the grill unadulterated. tasty.
chicken breast? just toss it out the window if unadulterated.

I 1-inch cubed a chicken breast and adulterated it for several hours this afternoon in a plastic bag with some olive oil, mayo (not Greek yogurt), fresh grated parm, minced garlic and some salt and pepper. Then I stuck those cubes on sharp sticks and grilled 'em (along with some carrots and zucchini) . Sure, it can take heroic histrionics to yum that up....just suggestin' one not totally write off the chicken breast..
Adulterating is a great way to spend time hanging out with the fam on the homefront :cool:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
im tellin ya, that list made some chinese lose their minds online, like millions and millions. i don't know for a fact, but i have a strong suspicion that my buds put this out the other day just to mess with them by mirroring some of their 'quaint' menu items.
serious warning, this is all quite gross. still true tho.

pretty much how i view most of the cuisines 'out there,' including the ones in lipizzaner land, and that place down south in gaul where everyone wears a vertical stripe shirt and a dopy hat, founded by the Phoenicians, who some of youse may know of as the folks from Carthage, and a whole lot of other places, and originally came from Lebanon, which brings us back to their ranking.
actually, lots of places out there wear dopey hats, but that's ending quickly as they rapidly switch to the 'baseball cap.'
mediterranean tuna is not gigantic Atlantic Blue Fin tuna. folks fly to here from around the globe to wave fistfuls of benjamins at the sellers in Glahstah to try and get some. if they're lucky, then they fly it back out there, and collect pantloads of cash.

i bet that they turn all those unneeded lids into a soup or something, and then some of youse will go to the place in Westport, Westwood, or West Hampton now serving it to have some, and gush 'tre chic!'

ob_10ca73_les-ports-puniques-de-carthage.jpg

this is the naval area in the foreground of the Tyre/Sidon/Phoenician folks and their Carthage port. the fancy grub and such arrived in the background at the commercial area.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
“Three-star restaurant dining is transitioning really hard,” Kinch told Bloomberg. “Chefs who were used to having armies of people have had to rethink their operating manual.”
Noma, 5-time winner of world’s best restaurant title, is closing its doors

the 'best' restaurant in the world for the past decade.
mebbe folks ain't so keen on 'sika deer, gamebirds, and reindeer with forest scavenged mushrooms and berries.'

i just saw a photo of something called a 'pickle pizza.'
and now, i am ill from that and declare, on behalf of the good people of the United States of America, that rudeness has nothing to do with our American cuisine.

Reaction Score
“Three-star restaurant dining is transitioning really hard,” Kinch told Bloomberg. “Chefs who were used to having armies of people have had to rethink their operating manual.”
Noma, 5-time winner of world’s best restaurant title, is closing its doors

the 'best' restaurant in the world for the past decade.
mebbe folks ain't so keen on 'sika deer, gamebirds, and reindeer with forest scavenged mushrooms and berries.'

i just saw a photo of something called a 'pickle pizza.'
and now, i am ill from that and declare, on behalf of the good people of the United States of America, that rudeness has nothing to do with our American cuisine.
Noma closing reminds me - I saw "The Menu" last week. Must-see movie for anyone who ever heard of Noma (this article was first I ever heard of Noma, but I'm just a country boy). Takes the celebrity chef horror genre to the whole next level!

Reaction Score
Well, I'm bastardizing some eastern Mediterranean tonight. Borrowing from North Africa, Middle East and maybe some Greek influences with a Shakshouka. Putting a twist using some cubed up and grilled acorn squash and egg plant to give it some more texture.

Made this today...totally awesome. Totally. Spices, veggies, eggs, FETA CHEESE.... awesome.

I used this one:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom