Cuisines of the World, Ranked from Best to Worst | The Boneyard

Cuisines of the World, Ranked from Best to Worst

Reaction Score
The best restaurant in any country I've been to is the best Italian restaurant in that country

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wow, just wow....
the suits here took a little, nondescript, run of the mill post of mine, and turned it into it's very own thread. holy cannoli!
i feel like, like .....

or mebbe they didn't want me foulin up another thread.
( i would have voted for miss Kali, cuz,
well, east coast girls are hip,
i dig those styles they wear,
and...)

Reaction Score
I find it kinda odd in summarizing "American Cuisine" that they include Honeycrisp Apples and Florida Oranges. Seriously ? That's not "American Cuisine"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is pretty dumb, really. People like what they like. Very few things are really unique to one place.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, I'm bastardizing some eastern Mediterranean tonight. Borrowing from North Africa, Middle East and maybe some Greek influences with a Shakshouka. Putting a twist using some cubed up and grilled acorn squash and egg plant to give it some more texture.

Reaction Score
came across this from some chinese net outrage over the India ranking.
Cuisines of the World, Ranked from Best to Worst

has a ring of truth to my ears, overall.
they manage to rank 95 entries. impressive.
What are they outraged about? Indian food is freaking awesome and so varied.

A lot of people I've talked to are also misinformed about Turkish food only being take away but they have so many beautiful dishes. Greek food is also phenomenal.

Usa, Peru and Germany are over rated on this list. Serbian at 25 should be higher than Croatian. Hungarian is also better than Croatian.

Georgia, Romania and Thai are all under rated. Lebanon at 40, Ethiopia at 55 and Colombia at 71 is absolutley ridiculous and the best BBQ I ever had was made by Syrian friends, greatly under rated cuisine as well.

Overall rankings are pretty off.

Last edited:

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I did find it interesting that American cuisine was so high. American cuisine is practically a fusion of European cuisines.

Reaction Score
Just spent two weeks in Italy.

Rome, Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice...day trips to towns in Tuscany.

Love Italian food...but, man did I miss American coffee.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
Where in Europe do you find this?

Should say primarily influenced by European cuisines. We do have some really good homegrown ones though.

The cinnamon roll is Nordic, but the chili is 100% ours. You are correct though, nobody else in the world is serving chili and cinnamon rolls.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What are they outraged about? Indian food is freaking awesome and so varied.

A lot of people I've talked to are also misinformed about Turkish food only being take away but they have so many beautiful dishes. Greek food is also phenomenal.

Usa, Peru and Germany are over rated on this list. Serbian at 25 should be higher than Croatian. Hungarian is also better than Croatian.

Georgia, Romania and Thai are all under rated. Lebanon at 40, Ethiopia at 55 and Colombia at 71 is absolutley ridiculous and the best BBQ I ever had was made by Syrian friends, greatly under rated cuisine as well.

Overall rankings are pretty off.
i agree that the rankings are 'pretty off.'
'murican food is the absolute best. so scary good that today, in certain parts of the globe, countries and cultures are actively working to prevent it's emergence locally. ya know, southern fried chicken, burgers, pizza as popularized here, peanut butter, mayo, ribeyes, swordish, fried cod, dungeness crab, apple pie, ice cream, hot dogs and beans, clam fritters, iceberg lettuce (that's a newer one), roast turkey, roasted peanuts, potato chips, mac and cheese, crab cakes, chicken nuggets (gross), chili con carne, fortune cookies, reubens, pot roast, meatloaf,
sub sammiches, pecan pie,,,,, here's a list
Eat Local in the United States of America
and of course, it's a complete swing and miss putting Lebanese food way down, since the honest food historian knows how foundational it is, with a complete spectrum of dishes from an appetizer to a dessert.

they are correct in elevating Japanese food to the top, and widely placing most asian cuisine not anywhere near the top, cuz, as often stated here, it's mostly bowls of slop. i wouldn't necessarily place Indian in that insulting categorization as they do have a few tasty wrinkles, but i also don't see epic and global broad distribution for an Indian brand of food franchising, like kfc, pizza hut, McDonalds, ....
no wonder some places are making laws prohibiting 'murican food.
doesn't matter, it's already over. the people have spoken!
and, all, please spare me the 'health' discussion on our food. that's a u problem, not an us problem if u can't eat in moderation.
twinkies, french fries, Texas bbq, Carolina bbq, ....
personally, and since day one, my numbah one fav thing to eat (hey china! where's the bread? hey world! where's the beef?) is *quality American cheese in a white bread sammich. mayo optional. numbah two is prolly the classic iceberg, tomato, and cucumber salad, served cold. yeppers, give me a meal of murican cheese sammich, that salad, and mebbe a ring ding for afters, and i'll be good every single time. kale tastes like butt, and milk comes from a cow, not an almond.
ketchup (catsup?), Buffalo wings, key lime pie, eggs benedict, bbq ribs, banana split, .....
one of ours not to be proud of is this mania of chicken and cheese. chicken parm was not created in Italy, even with their outstanding history. they find it gustatorily abhorrent. me too, and yet the chicken and cheese sammich grows exponentially here, and will soon hit the globe. hard. sad.
no other fresh thing with refrigeration turns so foul so quickly.
budweiser, coca cola, tunafish salad with mayo, corndogs, cranberries, blueberries, maple syrup, ....

*quality 'murican cheese. loosely, not the stuff coming in individual plastic wrap, tho i'll gladly eat that too if that's my only option. they've managed to make a pretty good one on that 'cheddarish' kind when used for melting.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just spent two weeks in Italy.

Rome, Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice...day trips to towns in Tuscany.

Love Italian food...but, man did I miss American coffee.
?????

The coffee in Italy is immensely superior that what you can get here. Amazingly, unless you hit a tourist trap, the cost is a fraction of what they charge here.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
This is pretty dumb, really. People like what they like. Very few things are really unique to one place.
sure.
no Americas, no cranberries, blueberries, corn, potato, tomato, ...
good thing, cuz i wouldn't be rushing to eat buckwheat groat doritos.
spanishy foods are also outstanding.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
?????

The coffee in Italy is immensely superior that what you can get here. Amazingly, unless you hit a tourist trap, the cost is a fraction of what they charge here.

I agree, but I also get it. We are accustomed to our 6-8oz cups of "watered" down coffee where Europe lives off the 1 oz at a time strong coffee. When I took my parents to Europe with my family this was my mom's exact reaction, she did not want espresso she wanted an American cup of coffee. To each his own. Me on the other hand would gladly take the less than $1 espresso over ours any day.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree, but I also get it. We are accustomed to our 6-8oz cups of "watered" down coffee where Europe lives off the 1 oz at a time strong coffee. When I took my parents to Europe with my family this was my mom's exact reaction, she did not want espresso she wanted an American cup of coffee. To each his own. Me on the other hand would gladly take the less than $1 espresso over ours any day.
Yeah but they serve a lot more than just espresso. You can get a caffe latte, cafe Americano, cappuccino, basically anything they serve at coffee shops here. All considerably better and considerably cheaper than what you can find here.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and for your listening pleasure, i present 'the chickens' as they sing their wildly popular 'ode to chicken and pork.'
they're wildly popular, and iffn u look around with eyes wide open, u will see, garuntee, a world slowly growing addicted to eating mostly just those.

don't see it? hmmmmm,
what are you having for dinner this eve?
or lunch?

hey! i can hear you nervously looking at the floor.... i got good ears.
work a little pan fried trout or spaghetti and beefballs into the mix. or a lettuce, tomato, and cucumber sammich with cheese and your favorite dressing.
your body will thank you.

and, on a strictly taste opinion basis, i find chicken breasts to be nothing more than bird flavored cotton. no wonder that they have to do stuff to it to make it barely palatable.
fish steak, beef steak, and such? toss it on the grill unadulterated. tasty.
chicken breast? just toss it out the window if unadulterated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
?????

I had coffee in local places all over Italy...if you like espresso...good for you...

I could get all the espesso, cappucino, etc, that I wanted...but not plain old coffee.

The closest you get is Americano...espresso with more hot water.

I missed my Sumatra, Kona, Blue Mountain....made my way.

And...I never, ever, was served water with ice...they don't do that.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
I had coffee in local places all over Italy...if you like espresso...good for you...

I could get all the espesso, cappucino, etc, that I wanted...but not plain old coffee.

The closest you get is Americano...espresso with more hot water.

I missed my Sumatra, Kona, Blue Mountain....made my way.

And...I never, ever, was served water with ice...they don't do that.

That's exactly it. Even if you order the cappuccino, latte, etc. It is still espresso based. I think I remember reading somewhere that the Italian espresso is 7g coffee beans to make a 1 oz. espresso. American coffee is something like 10g coffee beans for a 6oz cup.

Reaction Score
My best experience was one morning sitting on Republica Piazza in Florence at the Caffe Concerto Pankowski . The elegant and historic place sent me a silver pot of real american coffee with my morning pastry.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If you expect everything to be like it is here, maybe you are missing the point of traveling.

Reaction Score
If you expect everything to be like it is here, maybe you are missing the point of traveling.

You know, it is OK to prefer coffee over espresso....

I think most folks expect cuisine to differ around the world...but that still does not deny preferences.

While i have enjoyed curried goat in a village in Jamaica, and food from street stalls in Mexico, Olongopo, etc....I really don't like the hot peppers of Ethiopian food, am not a fan of hummus....Heck, I did not like Poutine which I tried in Maine summer before last.

And to many, Ramps, a western North Carolina dish, are not enjoyable. They have a pungent taste.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom