• Powder Ridge

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Mohawk Mt.

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Which is your favorite and why? I went to Powder Ridge today and was wondering what others think. It was great to be out there, but the mountain wasn't 100% open. I tried to go to Sundown, but they are limiting capacity, and it was sold out for Saturday/Sunday. Looking forward to some VT day trips for sure.

I have been to all 4, and I prefer Ski Sundown. As a snowboarder, they have always had the most options for terrain - whether it's a steep and fast black diamond, or an easy cruiser trail. They also have the best terrain park options (multiple), and I've even found a few tiny runs through some glades there.

Reaction Score
My sister taught me how to snowboard at Mohawk while she was at UConn (she's 7 years older) and that's the only place I've been to in CT, oddly. When I want a quick, cheap fix, I go to Thunder Ridge, and will be there Wednesday. Open to trying Southington since that's equidistant to Thunder Ridge.

Reaction Score
I voted for Mohawk because it is biggest and tends to have the most snow. However, I believe Sundown has a nice little bar with microbrews these days and Mohawk doesn’t. That would probably change my decision as I enjoy frequent breaks, snacks and drinks these days when skiing. Gone are the days of trying to squeeze in as many runs as possible.

I used to go to Mt Tom in Holyoke, MA a lot as a kid/teen and loved it. We’d go to Sundown or Mohawk less often. It’s a real shame that the Mt Tom ski area is gone.

Reaction Score
I voted for Mohawk because it is biggest and tends to have the most snow. However, I believe Sundown has a nice little bar with microbrews these days and Mohawk doesn’t. That would probably change my decision as I enjoy frequent breaks, snacks and drinks these days when skiing. Gone are the days of trying to squeeze in as many runs as possible.

I used to go to Mt Tom in Holyoke, MA a lot as a kid/teen and loved it. We’d go to Sundown or Mohawk less often. It’s a real shame that the Mt Tom ski area is gone.
I agree Mt Tom was great for nighttime skiing.
I used to go to Southington many years ago because they had half day in the mornings and I worked afternoons. Powder Ridge was good for singles at night because of the quad chair and bar. But for skiing I prefer Sundown or better yet Mohawk. But all are limited and I get bored after a few hours but cheaper and closer than Vermont.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Ski Sundown is probably the best but I went with Mohawk because of size and importance

Reaction Score
Salisbury

1608443300738.png

Reaction Score
Enjoy Connecticut skiing while you can. The seasons continue to get shorter and shorter. Powder Ridge is the model for the future- a mountain bike park that opens for skiing during the 1-2 months they can keep up with snowmelt.

I chose Sundown for memories. Best snowboard terrain for the value is Southington though imo

Reaction Score
Enjoy Connecticut skiing while you can. The seasons continue to get shorter and shorter. Powder Ridge is the model for the future- a mountain bike park that opens for skiing during the 1-2 months they can keep up with snowmelt.

I chose Sundown for memories. Best snowboard terrain for the value is Southington though imo

It’s so deeply concerning that while the shortened seasons and warmer temperatures are so obvious to those over 30 years old, many deny it. I watch the weather up there and wonder how they have hung on this long.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Whichever happens to be closer to you. None of them are above beginner level, nor is there much of a variation.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just got back from Mohawk. Lots of fun, but I am not an experienced skier ( twice in my life and 1st time in 22 years). I took a lesson. So did my 8YO, and crushed the lower hills, but fell about a dozen times over two runs down the green run.

Don't care. had fun.

VCE

Reaction Score
Just got back from Mohawk. Lots of fun, but I am not an experienced skier ( twice in my life and 1st time in 22 years). I took a lesson. So did my 8YO, and crushed the lower hills, but fell about a dozen times over two runs down the green run.

Don't care. had fun.

keep it up! My parents learned to ski in their early 30s and are still going strong decades later. I’m sure it can be humbling watching 10 year olds ski circles around you at first, but you’ll get there.

I’m not familiar with the ski areas in CT, but most in VT/NH/ME have excellent instructors. I’d guess Mt Tom, Jiminy Peak, Wachusset and Nashoba Valley in MA all do as well.

Reaction Score
Which is your favorite and why? I went to Powder Ridge today and was wondering what others think. It was great to be out there, but the mountain wasn't 100% open. I tried to go to Sundown, but they are limiting capacity, and it was sold out for Saturday/Sunday. Looking forward to some VT day trips for sure.

I have been to all 4, and I prefer Ski Sundown. As a snowboarder, they have always had the most options for terrain - whether it's a steep and fast black diamond, or an easy cruiser trail. They also have the best terrain park options (multiple), and I've even found a few tiny runs through some glades there.
Ski Sundown because it was about 10 minutes from my childhood home.

Reaction Score
whether it's a steep and fast black diamond
the only black diamond east of the rockies is tuckerman ravine and the only thing that makes skiing in the east dangerous is the ice
Says every student of mine with a 2nd home in Big Sky or Park City...Great opportunity to teach the kids modesty.
c'mon, there's not enough modesty in the world as is needed to compare park city to mohawk. at least try to argue for Jay Peak or Stowe. the worsening winter conditions in new england over the past decade is one of the top 3 reasons i moved west and i didnt need a second home out here to realize the difference

Last edited:

VCE

Reaction Score
the only black diamond east of the rockies is tuckerman ravine and the only thing that makes skiing back east possibly dangerous is the ice

the worsening ski conditions over the past decade in new england is one of the top 3 reasons i moved west and i didnt need a second home out here to realize it

Outer Limi
the only black diamond east of the rockies is tuckerman ravine and the only thing that makes skiing back east possibly dangerous is the ice

the worsening ski conditions over the past decade in new england is one of the top 3 reasons i moved west and i didnt need a second home out here to realize it
Outer Limits, Devils Fiddle at Killington meet the criteria. There were a couple trails at ascutney back in the day that did. Most of Mad River Glen is tough. And there’s lots of trails from Pico to Sunapee to Loon to Magic Mountain that are solid black. And then there are the front four at Stowe.

Reaction Score
Outer Limits, Devils Fiddle at Killington meet the criteria. There were a couple trails at ascutney back in the day that did. Most of Mad River Glen is tough. And there’s lots of trails from Pico to Sunapee to Loon to Magic Mountain that are solid black. And then there are the front four at Stowe.
i'm familiar with all those... learned to ski at loon it's the size of bunny hill. had a season pass at killington and the only trail that consistently had snow was superstar. if devils fiddle/outer limits etc had a 4' snow base theyd be equivalent to a blue out here but it's the giant icy moguls that make it hard and that's not fun. never bothered going to pico. mad river cant get away without snowmaking anymore. stowe was easily my favorite but it doesnt compare to the cliffs and avalanches and tree wells you find out here. i was trying to be sensitive about this since i grew up there and will always have fond memories for the most part and what's happening now breaks my heart but i cant take those suggestions too seriously

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
i'm familiar with all those... learned to ski at loon it's the size of bunny hill out here. had a student pass at killington and the only trail that consistently had snow was superstar. if devils fiddle/centerpiece/growler had a 4' snow base theyd be equivalent to a blue out here but it's the icy moguls that make it hard and that's not fun. never even bothered to go to pico once. they don't compare to the avalanches and tree wells and cliffs you find out here. i was trying to be sensitive about this since i grew up there and will always have fond memories for the most part but i cant take those suggestions seriously

show off know it all GIF by KiKA

Reaction Score
keep it up! My parents learned to ski in their early 30s and are still going strong decades later. I’m sure it can be humbling watching 10 year olds ski circles around you at first, but you’ll get there.

I’m not familiar with the ski areas in CT, but most in VT/NH/ME have excellent instructors. I’d guess Mt Tom, Jiminy Peak, Wachusset and Nashoba Valley in MA all do as well.
Mt. Tom closed after the 1998 ski season. It was a decent close mountain, certainly nothing like further north or out west. Mountains like those serve a purpose which is to allow CT folks to get their ski fix if they don't want to invest a whole day and more money on skiing further north.

Someone mentioned Ascutney, that is the first mountain that I learned to ski so I have good memories of that area. I probably paid less than $20 in those days to ski (mid -70s'). I wore jeans and had a tough time getting off the lift at mid-mountain. The area was close to I-91 so was easy to get to but I remember it as being especially icy since it did not get as much snow as other areas back then. That area closed in 2010. We also used to ski Round Top back then which was on the way to Killington.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
An oxymoron?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
i'm familiar with all those... learned to ski at loon it's the size of bunny hill. had a season pass at killington and the only trail that consistently had snow was superstar. if devils fiddle/outer limits etc had a 4' snow base theyd be equivalent to a blue out here but it's the giant icy moguls that make it hard and that's not fun. never bothered going to pico. mad river cant get away without snowmaking anymore. stowe was easily my favorite but it doesnt compare to the cliffs and avalanches and tree wells you find out here. i was trying to be sensitive about this since i grew up there and will always have fond memories for the most part and what's happening now breaks my heart but i cant take those suggestions too seriously
where's "here"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom