Creme Brktology 2/23 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Creme Brktology 2/23

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Arkansas throws a wrench in this for me. I think they’re much better than their record shows. They just seem to be inconsistent at times.
If Arkansas ends up with a losing Conference record they don't deserve to make it, they're 7-6 with 2 games left, @Auburn on Thursday and Alabama on Sunday at home. They should win both, but shouldn't lose both so they should be okay.

Reaction Score
Oh brother.

the committee is 10 people on an ever changing basis from different schools — all but one (at most) not from the SEC. all of these other conference representatives just roll over for the SEC? All of these people on this committee over the years and NOT ONE has ever come forward to say that the SEC got preferential treatment or ESPN had undue influence on the process?

Yeah that’s absolutely believable.
Thanks. I predicted to a friend that you would be the first to argue with me. Got a chicken fried steak dinner out of that.

Reaction Score
Teams with winning conference records only?

17-6 Arkansas is only 7-6 in the SEC. they could easily end up with a losing conference record. But hey, let’s not count their non-conference record with wins over Baylor and UConn
UConn’s men have a similar counterpoint. They won the national championship after a 9-9 conference season. They won the BE Tournament anyway, but before they got an auto bid they won a tournament in Maui over Michigan State and Kentucky and won at Texas, all of which were in the top 10. The Big East was exceptionally strong that year, so 9-9 wasn’t so bad (although diappointing), but one more close loss making them 8-10 wouldn‘t make them less capable of a championship.

The NCAA does have a rule for most sports that you can’t be below .500 overall and get an at large bid. This comes up in softball from time to time, when the SEC is really tough and a team that is, say, 24-26 will squeeze in a doubleheader late in the year with some local low major to get up to .500. But a rule like that for just a team’s conference record would punish only teams from the very strongest conferences in the country arbitrarily, so it almost certainly wouldn’t pass the ncaa legislative bodies.

Reaction Score
Fries? Ugh.

Needs a green. Being from SC originally, I would add rice, but yeah, that;s a state history thing.
Having travelled down south frequently, I can attest that you'all have some good and tasty grub down there!.
Not that good for my waistline but good for my taste buds!

Reaction Score
Maybe I have missed it but what I would like to see is how many top 25 or top 10 or whatever teams teams have beaten that are not in their own conference. That would go farther in my opinion to see how good they are as it eliminates overrated conferences which in my view has happened way more than usual this year because of most out of conference games not being played.

Reaction Score
290 miles through Fort Worth & the 135 merge in Denton. Ticket traps at the border [both sides] and in Norman. Never ending construction in Denton, Ardmore, Paul’s Valley, Norman & Moore. But you are the one person to do it in under 4 hours. LOL. Dream on. I drive it every week both ways. Not happening.
Until recently, lived in McKinney, Tx, north of Dallas, and covered this geography for 10+ years. Have I made the trip from Waco to Ok City many times. Trip Advisor advises that it is a 4 1/2 trip. If I had an important appointment or social event (i.e. basketball game?) to go to, I would give myself 6 hours. Traffic in Dallas is often horrific.

Reaction Score
How many top 10 teams has South Carolina beaten? One, and it was Ky, which was ranked 10th at the time, and they are now 17th. They lost to Uconn and N C State, both top 10 teams.
How many top 10 teams has UConn beaten? One. And it was SC in OT. What’s your point?

Reaction Score
UConn’s men have a similar counterpoint. They won the national championship after a 9-9 conference season. They won the BE Tournament anyway, but before they got an auto bid they won a tournament in Maui over Michigan State and Kentucky and won at Texas, all of which were in the top 10. The Big East was exceptionally strong that year, so 9-9 wasn’t so bad (although diappointing), but one more close loss making them 8-10 wouldn‘t make them less capable of a championship.

The NCAA does have a rule for most sports that you can’t be below .500 overall and get an at large bid. This comes up in softball from time to time, when the SEC is really tough and a team that is, say, 24-26 will squeeze in a doubleheader late in the year with some local low major to get up to .500. But a rule like that for just a team’s conference record would punish only teams from the very strongest conferences in the country arbitrarily, so it almost certainly wouldn’t pass the ncaa legislative bodies.

It may be that an under .500 team is good enough to make it but unless they had 3 starters out until the last week of the season I have no sympathy for them. Asking teams to win at least half their games is a pretty low bar for entry into the NCAA championship. Maybe more teams will take their regular season schedule more seriously. Right now I watch too many games where one team or both just mails it in.

And I am in favor of reducing the tournament entries. There aren't 64 teams worthy of playing for the title.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There aren't 64 teams worthy of playing for the title.
Most years honestly there's probably 3-4 teams tops that are actually playing for the Title. Maybe 10 or so in an unusual year like this one. Doesn't mean teams should be excluded since they aren't Title worthy. There's a whole bunch of mid major conferences, should we exclude the winners of most of those?

Reaction Score
Most years honestly there's probably 3-4 teams tops that are actually playing for the Title. Maybe 10 or so in an unusual year like this one. Doesn't mean teams should be excluded since they aren't Title worthy. There's a whole bunch of mid major conferences, should we exclude the winners of most of those?
A double elimination tournament, with far fewer teams would generate more exciting games and fewer champions who benefited from not having to play the strongest teams. One and done is an exciting format but can produce an unlikely winner.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I know SC has lost 3 games but they have more Top 25 wins than anybody and you can't just discount that and they haven't lost to ANYBODY out of the top 25. You have to look at the entire resume. Look at the strength of schedules of the other teams you are putting in front of them. Now I agree they shouldn't have lost some of those games, but they've won a bunch others against the rest of the best. If we don't win both of our remaining games I'm with you but for this week don't shortchange your team just because you think they should be better.
So, what is your point?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oh yes, white gravy, with fries, black-eyed peas and cornbread. And sweet tea.

no no no.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom