Craziest thing just happened | The Boneyard

Craziest thing just happened

Reaction Score
I live in Raleigh. I’m pumping gas at a BJs gas station and I have a UConn hat on. This guy comes up to me and says ‘did you go to UConn?’ I said yeah, and he goes ‘I played for Jim Calhoun - I’m Phil Gamble’ I still can’t believe it. And for you youngins that don’t know who he is, google it….

Reaction Score
I was surprised how good he was on the court in early Calhoun Charity events playing against our future stars more than 10 years after his playing days. He may have been able to play a significant role if he played with our high ranked players on later teams. Love that you had this chance encounter.

Reaction Score
I was surprised how good he was on the court in early Calhoun Charity events playing against our future stars more than 10 years after his playing days. He may have been able to play a significant role if he played with our high ranked players on later teams. Love that you had this chance encounter.
It really is crazy - I said of course I know who you are. My freshman year was the year after he graduated. We all remember him sitting on the top of the backboard after winning the NIT. As he was walking away, of course I shouted to him ‘we’re on the way back up!’

Reaction Score
Bet he could still make open jumpers all day.

Those kind of chance meetings are cool. I remember sitting in a bar with an older couple in Mallorca Spain on a cruise ship excursion. The gentlemen was wearing an NC State cap. I asked if he was from Raleigh, he said no but the coach there at the time used to work under him, and realized in short time that I was speaking to Jim Harrick. Very personable guy. Couldn't even make myself ask how come Toby Bailey and Henderson never played again like they did when they knocked us out in the Elite 8.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
I live in Raleigh. I’m pumping gas at a BJs gas station and I have a UConn hat on. This guy comes up to me and says ‘did you go to UConn?’ I said yeah, and he goes ‘I played for Jim Calhoun - I’m Phil Gamble’ I still can’t believe it. And for you youngins that don’t know who he is, google it….
I’m in Fuquay - cheers

Reaction Score
Don’t tell us this was the whole conversation

Reaction Score

Those kind of chance meetings are cool. I remember sitting in a bar with an older couple in Mallorca Spain on a cruise ship excursion. The gentlemen was wearing an NC State cap. I asked if he was from Raleigh, he said no but the coach there at the time used to work under him, and realized in short time that I was speaking to Jim Harrick. Very personable guy. Couldn't even make myself ask how come Toby Bailey and Henderson never played again like they did when they knocked us out in the Elite 8.

I always bring a couple UConn shirts when I travel. If I'm in a tourist hotspot, I'll often have someone say they're from CT or went to UConn. Always a fun experience. I think I've met UConn fans in Rome, Bangkok, Naxos, and maybe Seville that I can recall.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I’ve mentioned this a few times on the board, but I met Holly Warlick on vacation in Acadia National Park. Like the OP above she saw a Yukon hat and started talking to me about the men’s team. She knew the team really well, which was kind of cool. Super friendly.

Reaction Score
My high school basketball coach!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Should have said. "Gamble? Like the Pavilion?!?!?" just to mess with him.
I said that to Arnold Dean on his show. It did mess him up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That is a great story. If it was me, I might have asked for an selfie. Something I have yet to do.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Silly!

(Please tell me someone here remembers his nickname)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom