Cowherd: Who Cares? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cowherd: Who Cares?

Reaction Score
I was listening to too Mad Dog and got tired of the football QB who wants to be traded after being offered 175 million. So I changed to XM 84 college sports and listened to a Dan Hurley interview. Really great and funny stuff.

Reaction Score
College basketball is very niche. It’s really only popular in the Northeast and in some ACC and West Coast areas. I absolutely can’t stand how the tourney is going on, yet all they want to talk about on 97.9 is NFL signings and NBA. They touched on the college tourney bare minimum.
And almost the entire Midwest.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
In 2022 Men's Tournament does better than the Olympics, Rose Bowl, some NBA finals, and the Masters in Top 50 televised (is that still a word) sporting events. All NFL events and College football final round out top 25. Tournament only top 25 event on TNT, TBS, TruTV, all others on major outlets. Covid year so factor that in and World Series not on the list so it might be incomplete.

2022 Most viewed sporting events

Last edited:

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
In 2022 Men's Tournament does better than the Olympics, Rose Bowl, some NBA finals, and the Masters in Top 50 televised (is that still a word) sporting events. All NFL events and College football final round out top 25. Tournament only top 25 event on TNT, TBS, TruTV, all others on major outlets. Covid year so factor that in and World Series not on the list so it might be incomplete.

2022 Most viewed sporting events
Correction: Men's BB FF does better than ANY NBA event.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Oklahoma is not usually considered part of the Midwest.

But I'm speaking mostly of states like Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio, etc.
Those are football schools. They do not prioritize college hoops, nor does their fan base/donor base. Indiana? Ok. But Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio is football country.

Reaction Score
Tony Mazz only insight to any sports conundrum is “I don’t know, I don’t know .. we’ll see” Boston sports radio is worse than Cowherd. College basketball fans are the purest.

NFL and NBA players are impossible to root for. Games are over officiated. College football has 2 teams MAX that can win. There is nothing better than college hoops.

Reaction Score
Those are football schools. They do not prioritize college hoops, nor does their fan base/donor base. Indiana? Ok. But Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio is football country.
The statement wasn't about college basketball being more popular than college football, just popular in general and not niche, Those states are big on college sports, period. There's a reason the Big10 ratings are often the highest for basketball over any other conference. Wisconsin supports both the state school and Marquette and up until Giannis was more popular than the NBA. Iowa supports both state schools and has no pro sports. Indiana is obvious. Ohio has OSU, the CIncinatti schools (Xavier/Cincy), and Dayton (the area is wild about the first four too) and all are well followed.

I didn't initially mention Michigan, but Michigan and Michigan St are both widely popular in that state.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watch the Felger and Mazz from time to time. They have no idea that the Patriots are irrelevant and will likely only sniff the playoffs rarely. But they treat the Pats like life and death. It's amusing. Stupid but amusing.

Reaction Score
FWIW, Michael Wilbon had a similar comment. The process leading up to now was enjoyable but the product of the process is not as enjoyable, something like that. Wilbon is one of my all time favorites so I’m not hating, just pointing out another talking head who’s not really hype about this final four.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The statement wasn't about college basketball being more popular than college football, just popular in general and not niche, Those states are big on college sports, period. There's a reason the Big10 ratings are often the highest for basketball over any other conference. Wisconsin supports both the state school and Marquette and up until Giannis was more popular than the NBA. Iowa supports both state schools and has no pro sports. Indiana is obvious. Ohio has OSU, the CIncinatti schools (Xavier/Cincy), and Dayton (the area is wild about the first four too) and all are well followed.

I didn't initially mention Michigan, but Michigan and Michigan St are both widely popular in that state.
Yes, Michigan and Mich State have successful hoops programs. However, the resources provided for football, as well as fan engagement, completely dwarf that of their college hoops programs. Every Michigan fan could name the QB. I don’t think they could all name the PG. There is a reason there is a P5, and a reason we tried to play big-time football. Because that’s where the majority of national interest goes. Even in CT, most people gravitate towards pro sports. Where I work, there’s like 20 guys. All sports fans. I’m the only UConn hoops fan. They think I’m weird. They all love NFL, NBA, soccer, and MLB. I would even argue that college football is niche in CT, whereas nationally it’s way bigger. And definitely way bigger than college hoops. My father would tell me when he traveled on business and tried to talk BE or UConn basketball in other states, people looked confused. We are in peak college hoops season, so the interest is there now, but most of the country doesn’t pay much attention to college basketball in the grand scheme of sports consumption. There are pockets, yes, but it’s a smallish community when compared to pro sports or college football.

Reaction Score
He's probably not wrong. I suspect the Final Four ratings will be low. Maybe really low.
But, but, but… ALL of south Florida!

Between San Diego and south Florida, there aren’t many basketball fans. That leaves us.

Reaction Score
i like college baketball but i only pay attieon in march Arkansas is a football state which is inionic because Arkansas only has about 5 football players a year that are d-1 while they have allways at 4-5 d-1 baketball guys arkansas is a underrated state as far as hoops goes jonesboro high school has been top 25 natonally the last 3-4 years while there are allways 2-3 good players in littie rock

Reaction Score
I watch the Felger and Mazz from time to time. They have no idea that the Patriots are irrelevant and will likely only sniff the playoffs rarely. But they treat the Pats like life and death. It's amusing. Stupid but amusing.
i watch fegler and mazz too they treat the local teams kind of

Reaction Score
i like college baketball but i only pay attieon in march Arkansas is a football state which is inionic because Arkansas only has about 5 football players a year that are d-1 while they have allways at 4-5 d-1 baketball guys arkansas is a underrated state as far as hoops goes jonesboro high school has been top 25 natonally the last 3-4 years while there are allways 2-3 good players in littie rock
Can't say Connecticut produces a lot of either. Calhoun (and KO) made up for it by recruiting nationally. Hurley seems to be a bit more focused on the northeast. Frankly, Hurley may be doing better recruiting regionally than even Calhoun did. All that said, Clingan is home-brewed and he's sorta incredible. Best recruit out of Connecticut in years.

Reaction Score
it is very amusing. i watch them just to hear them whine. they also have a tendency to talk as if the Patriots have a God given right to win every year. not with Brady gone and Belichick almost to retirement. they'll be mediocre for a while and i couldn't be happier.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FWIW, Michael Wilbon had a similar comment. The process leading up to now was enjoyable but the product of the process is not as enjoyable, something like that. Wilbon is one of my all time favorites so I’m not hating, just pointing out another talking head who’s not really hype about this final four.
Wilbon has been mailing it in for over a decade.

Reaction Score
They are very low. You could get into the game on Monday for $82 right now on stubhub.
It's the flights out there that are expensive. If it were within driving distance, I'd definitely be going.

Reaction Score
I don't often (as in never) watch cable sportstalk, but this afternoon I'm surfing for conversation on the Final Four. I bear with 30 minutes of mind-numbing palaver about pro football player negotiations before finally, on Colin Cowherd, up pops Jeff Goodman. Cowherd admits to Goodman that he's only a" casual" college basketball fan and admits that he kinda liked the current "omelet" while it was cooking. Alas, he doesn't much like it now that it's being served. Problem is, there aren't any big-name coaches in the Final Four, especially coaches you love to hate. Goodman tries to convince him that Danny Hurley might qualify, quoting Andrea Hurley as saying, "He's miserable when he loses and miserable when he wins." Cowherd is unconvinced, noting that unlike in pro sports, where the players are the story, it's the coaches who are the face of college sports. The players keep changing every year. Who are the coaches in the Final Four? And with that, the interview ends without a word on the Final Four itself.
Cowherd is an idiotic clown

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
it is very amusing. i watch them just to hear them whine. they also have a tendency to talk as if the Patriots have a God given right to win every year. not with Brady gone and Belichick almost to retirement. they'll be mediocre for a while and i couldn't be happier.
In general, the current Boston sports shows themes are
  1. Patriots - roster changes
  2. (Gap)
  3. Celtics - are they really that good/does Jaylen Brown hate Boston/mistake hiring Mazzula?
  4. Gee whiz the Bruins are good!
That’s in the football offseason with the B’s and C’s title contending.

Reaction Score
I don't often (as in never) watch cable sportstalk, but this afternoon I'm surfing for conversation on the Final Four. I bear with 30 minutes of mind-numbing palaver about pro football player negotiations before finally, on Colin Cowherd, up pops Jeff Goodman. Cowherd admits to Goodman that he's only a" casual" college basketball fan and admits that he kinda liked the current "omelet" while it was cooking. Alas, he doesn't much like it now that it's being served. Problem is, there aren't any big-name coaches in the Final Four, especially coaches you love to hate. Goodman tries to convince him that Danny Hurley might qualify, quoting Andrea Hurley as saying, "He's miserable when he loses and miserable when he wins." Cowherd is unconvinced, noting that unlike in pro sports, where the players are the story, it's the coaches who are the face of college sports. The players keep changing every year. Who are the coaches in the Final Four? And with that, the interview ends without a word on the Final Four itself.
Listen, our run this year is GREAT for us, but not so to people whose job it is to create content. We have destroyed every opponent in our path, but a lot, and this does not create good content. Let's just worry about getting our 5th. Let's catch Duke in titles and maybe then the people that actually know college basketball will stop disrespecting us when they wax poetic about "blue bloods" w/out mentioning Uconn.

Reaction Score
Listen, our run this year is GREAT for us, but not so to people whose job it is to create content. We have destroyed every opponent in our path, but a lot, and this does not create good content. Let's just worry about getting our 5th. Let's catch Duke in titles and maybe then the people that actually know college basketball will stop disrespecting us when they wax poetic about "blue bloods" w/out mentioning Uconn.
No question these “experts” are annoyed that Duke, NC, Kansas and Kentucky are not there or at least one of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom