Cowboy vs. Cowboy | The Boneyard

Cowboy vs. Cowboy

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not a Cowboys fan but this is an interesting article from ESPN on all-time Cowboy teams split in to the Tom Landy / Tex Schramm era vs. the Jerry Jones era. Cowpokes turn 60 this year and the two eras are almost an even split.

Tom Landry Era
Offense
QB Roger Staubach
RB Tony Dorsett
FB Don Perkins
WR Drew Pearson
WR Bob Hayes
TE Billy Joe DePree
OT Rayfield Wright
OT Ralph Neely
OG John Niland
OG Herb Scott
C Tom Rafferty

Defense
DE Harvey Martin
DT Randy White
DT Bob Lilly
DE Ed Too Tall Jones
LB Lee Roy Jordan
LB Chuck Howley
LB Bob Breunig
CB Everson Walls
CB Mel Renfro
S Cliff Harris
S Cornell Green

Jerry Jones Era
Offense
QB Troy Aikman
RB Emmitt Smith
FB Daryl Johnston
WR Michael Irvin
WR Dez Bryant
TE Jason Witten
OT Tyron Smith
OT Erik Williams
OG Zack Martin
OG Larry Allen
C Travis Frederick

Defense
DE Demarcus Ware
DE Charles Haley
DT La'Roi Glover
DT Jay Ratliff
LB Ken Norton
LB Dexter Coakley
LB Sean Lee
CB Terrance Newman
CB Deion Sanders
S Darren Woodson
S Roy Williams

Fun stuff to think about fully acknowledging the Jones era players are bigger, faster and better athletes...….

The Landry D Line vs. Jones OLine. White and Lily vs Martin and Allen. Too Tall vs. Erik Williams. Great talent and what a battle. Bob Hayes vs. Deion. Let's see speed on speed.
On the flip side the Landry OLine vs. Jones DLine has no pizzaz. I literally don't remember a single player from the Landry era OLine.
A pure push, IMO between Staubach/Dorsett vs. Aikman/Smith. I don't have a bad thing to say about any of them and they were all clutch when it mattered most.
LB's on both sides are pretty meh compared to talent in all the other position groups.

Special teams were left off because I don't see a single game changer from either side.

If I had to pick a winner I'd go with Landry 24-21 just because I think the Landry offense can do a bit more against the Jones defense than the Jones O could do against the Landry D.

Reaction Score
Bob Lilly is my favorite football player of all time. Most pick an offensive player as their favorite but I watched Bob Lilly play and he was awesome. But, they have him listed as a DT and actually he was a DE.

Reaction Score
Bob Lilly is my favorite football player of all time. Most pick an offensive player as their favorite but I watched Bob Lilly play and he was awesome. But, they have him listed as a DT and actually he was a DE.
Got an autograph jersey for Christmas last year. Still my favorite of all time too.

Reaction Score
He was a DT, and he was a great one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom