COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 16 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Walgreen's cancelled my wife's J&J appointment so we are back on the daily grind to find an appointment.

Reaction Score
100% sure you will recover? Jason Tatum has to take an inhaler before every game now. He's an elite athlete. I'm guessing you are not. Maybe your definition of recover is not dying which also is not 100% btw. Countless people with long covid. At best you could say both vaccine and virus are a roll of the dice. At best.
There is an uptick now for younger people being hospitalized with Covid.

Reaction Score
Sounds like it is very effective. How severe are the cases?

Congress is holding hearings because that's what they love to do...makes them seem important in the public eye, garners them TV coverage. Helps with job security.

It's also usually good for high comedy due to some doofus senator trying to play "gotcha" with an expert and then that expert politely explaining to the senator why they are basically the village idiot.

From the article:
"...the federal agency found 29 percent of breakthrough infections were asymptomatic, while 7 percent led to hospitalization. So far, 74 people have died from breakthrough infections..."

Reaction Score
I'm now fully vaccinated. At first I had a sore arm after the 2nd Moderna shot. 18 hours in, I started to get body aches and lasted up until about 40 hours from when I first got it. It just felt like an onset of the flu. My wife had the same reaction.

I'm perfectly fine now and I viewed it as just a little annoyance to prevent going to the hospital. I'm still going to mask and social distance but gives me some more confidence things will return to normal. The only "non normal" thing is going to be shaming and yelling at the people on the train openly coughing their lungs out without any covers or covering their mouth. If you are sick, stay home!

Reaction Score
So far, 74 people have died from breakthrough infections..."
So you are 6.5x more likely to die from a lightning strike (1/138,000-highest odds published on NSC site) than you are to die from Covid if you are vaxxed (1/890,000)....seems like life can get back to normal

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Got the second Pfizer shot yesterday. Just a sore arm.

Happy to hear that PHX. I got my 2nd Pfizer this morning and am icing it and taking Tylenol like I did after my first. Hoping for the best but my sister in law and one of my nephews had their 2nd Pfizer yesterday too and are both wiped out today. Fingers crossed!

Reaction Score
According to the numbers in my state, 51 fatalities out of 327,715 diagnosed cases in those under age 24 99.98% survival rate....so his numbers are close...if you factor in undiagnosed cases...the number is even higher
But, just to point this out: you're only counting fatalities and this has other nasty, long-term side effects. Many of these survivals come after hospitalizations (and if you are an hourly worker, think of what that does to your livelihood...or if you don't have insurance), and a not-insignificant portion of people have longer side effects as well that we hope aren't permanent but don't know.

If this were a: A) you die or B) you live coin flip it's not that big a deal (mind you survival rates are helped by us having done things to minimize people in the ICU). But it's not.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
But, just to point this out: you're only counting fatalities and this has other nasty, long-term side effects. Many of these survivals come after hospitalizations (and if you are an hourly worker, think of what that does to your livelihood...or if you don't have insurance), and a not-insignificant portion of people have longer side effects as well that we hope aren't permanent but don't know.

If this were a: A) you die or B) you live coin flip it's not that big a deal (mind you survival rates are helped by us having done things to minimize people in the ICU). But it's not.

This is also true of other viruses and bacterial infections that people get after vaccinations or antibiotic treatments and yet we move on as a society.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is also true of other viruses and bacterial infections that people get after vaccinations or antibiotic treatments and yet we move on as a society.

Yes. The long effects occur after a serious illness. It’s not from Covid, it’s from the damage the body endures fighting a severe illness. The Flu and pneumonia can do the same. Covid isn’t different.

Reaction Score
I'm getting my 2nd pfizer tomorrow. I'm trying to decide whether it was a great idea or a terrible idea to do it on a Friday afternoon.

Reaction Score
Who is saying that we shouldn't move on as a society after vaccination? The point is suggesting that "99.8% of people survive" is making something a binary that isn't. Especially when factored into the amount of hospitalizations etc. that have come despite our interventions.
Yes. The long effects occur after a serious illness. It’s not from Covid, it’s from the damage the body endures fighting a severe illness. The Flu and pneumonia can do the same. Covid isn’t different.
The flu and pneumonia can do the same. They just haven't at this rate in our lifetime nor in spite of social distancing etc. The rate of hospitalizations, death, long term effects for COVID are pretty darn high. And, again, my whole point is that this is with masks, social distancing, etc.

Reaction Score
Got second Pfizer shot on Tuesday. Sore arm and some headaches that were managed with Tylenol.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Who is saying that we shouldn't move on as a society after vaccination? The point is suggesting that "99.8% of people survive" is making something a binary that isn't. Especially when factored into the amount of hospitalizations etc. that have come despite our interventions.

The flu and pneumonia can do the same. They just haven't at this rate in our lifetime nor in spite of social distancing etc. The rate of hospitalizations, death, long term effects for COVID are pretty darn high. And, again, my whole point is that this is with masks, social distancing, etc.

Understood. And my point is sometime in the near future (6-9 months IMO) we are going to be fully open even though some people will continue to die from COVID, including those who were vaccinated. People will also catch COVID and have varying levels of symptoms and lingering/long term effects.

No, it's not a binary choice, but individually and as society as a whole, we are going to have a point in time where we're now okay living our lives while people continue to die and get sick from the virus.

Reaction Score
So to recap. Second Pfizer shot Tuesday at 3 pm. Fine Tuesday night. All day Wednesday from wake up through the night was real bad flu symptoms. Then as quick as they came, they left. Was perfectly fine by mid morning Thursday. Worth not hopefully getting Covid and facing something worse but not a fun day for sure.

Reaction Score

How many of those folks with longer side effects are under 25?? I was addressing the point that someone said his statistics were off...they weren’t

Reaction Score

I've never looked into so so curious as to what % of those infected have long term effects?? And what are the effects/% of folks infected. And I'm not interested in 3 months after cleared still can't run like I used to...I mean real long term/permanent issues?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've never looked into so so curious as to what % of those infected have long term effects?? And what are the effects/% of folks infected. And I'm not interested in 3 months after cleared still can't run like I used to...I mean real long term/permanent issues?

Well, if your are looking for long term long term not just 3 month long term, you don't want to hold your breath. No one has had long term effects for more than about 13 months.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
So to recap. Second Pfizer shot Tuesday at 3 pm. Fine Tuesday night. All day Wednesday from wake up through the night was real bad flu symptoms. Then as quick as they came, they left. Was perfectly fine by mid morning Thursday. Worth not hopefully getting Covid and facing something worse but not a fun day for sure.

I'm 23 hours after 2nd Pfizer shot and feel like a million bucks. No sore arm and (knock on wood) not even as much as a headache.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So a helpful person on our town Facebook site posted that appointments were available at Walgreens. Told my wife and she got one for tomorrow, somewhat distant. Then the state pre-registration system finally sent her a new link for Gillette Stadium tomorrow (same as the one I already have). So she grabbed that.

I've heard exercise moving your arm after helps. What about before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom