Courant's Alexa Phillipou- does a really nice job | The Boneyard

Courant's Alexa Phillipou- does a really nice job

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn has some great sports writers who cover the team, and I just want to add that I am very impressed with how Alexa Phillipou has honed her craft and keeps pumping out daily articles about the team. So much so, I did the trial period subscription for the Courant just so when I click the link, I can read the whole article and I have not been disappointed. I hope she keeps her writing evolving and with more insight but I also fear she will find another bigger market gig at some point. Kudos to her while we have her! Thanks Alexa.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I like her as well.

The Hartford Courant sports department is "all in" on UConn sports, and I am happy about that. Especially men`s and women`s basketball. The Courant knows, of course, that their reader base expects that.

Unfortunately, they simply don`t have the staff to cover other local sports very well at all. They used to do a great job at it, especially decades ago. Lori Riley is good and appears to work hard and do her best at it, but they don`t have anyone else working that desk, at least that I can tell. They also rely a great deal on the AP, New York Daily News, and Boston Globe for stories generally.

But they do a great job with UConn, no doubt.

Reaction Score
I really like Alexa and am happy she’s getting some recognization on the board. She’s always one of the first reporters to tweet out new info/quotes. I really enjoy her articles and especially like following her on twitter. She also does a fantastic job of tweeting live games and direct quotes. Thanks Alexa, keep up the good work!

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn has some great sports writers who cover the team, and I just want to add that I am very impressed with how Alexa Phillipou has honed her craft and keeps pumping out daily articles about the team. So much so, I did the trial period subscription for the Courant just so when I click the link, I can read the whole article and I have not been disappointed. I hope she keeps her writing evolving and with more insight but I also fear she will find another bigger market gig at some point. Kudos to her while we have her! Thanks Alexa.
I thoroughly agree, @DefenseBB, Alexa produces great articles. I also have subscribed largely because of her UConn articles.

Reaction Score
I like her as well.

The Hartford Courant sports department is "all in" on UConn sports, and I am happy about that. Especially men`s and women`s basketball. The Courant knows, of course, that their reader base expects that.

Unfortunately, they simply don`t have the staff to cover other local sports very well at all. They used to do a great job at it, especially decades ago. Lori Riley is good and appears to work hard and do her best at it, but they don`t have anyone else working that desk, at least that I can tell. They also rely a great deal on the AP, New York Daily News, and Boston Globe for stories generally.

But they do a great job with UConn, no doubt.

The Hartford Courant sport department is "all in" on UConn sports, if you include only their coverage of men's and women's basketball, and football.

You should go over to the Boneyard Hockey threads where the Courant is regularly blasted for their lack of game coverage of the UConn men's ice hockey team. Of course, the Courant only has three full time sports writers on its staff right now, so they are already spread pretty thin in their sports coverage.

The Courant sports department will really be in trouble if Dom Amore isn't able to keep up his current pace of covering almost everything. Amore may be getting close to retirement, so that day may be approaching.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Or, gasp, a Dukie!
Actually, my comment was a play on a couple of themes that Milford had mentioned when Kiki Rice committed to UCLA that their son picked Rice over UCLA who is a main Stanford opponent (though if you lose all the time to them are you really a main opponent or just on the schedule?) :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom