Could Connecticut Bring Buffalo Bills to Hartford, UConn Gets New Stadium? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Could Connecticut Bring Buffalo Bills to Hartford, UConn Gets New Stadium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Reaction Score
As far as the Pats deal went, it wasn't small thinking that scuttled the plan; it was the lack of execution. And just to repeat, the home state did not come up with a better offer.
I asked Jonathan Kraft once if the organization serious about coming to Hartford. He said, “of course we were”. I do not know if was truly serious.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I asked Jonathan Kraft once if the organization serious about coming to Hartford. He said, “of course we were”. I do not know if was truly serious.
Kraft later said he would have made billions on the deal. They were serious about billions. They only bailed when it became clear Rowland couldn't get the stadium built on time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kraft later said he would have made billions on the deal. They were serious about billions. They only bailed when it became clear Rowland couldn't get the stadium built on time.
Link?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
That's from the Patriots. We all know the real reason they backed out was because the NFL was going to put another team in Boston if they moved to Hartford. Whether they were serious about moving to Hartford or not, or using it to leverage their position in Boston I don't know, but "not building the stadium on time" is a farce.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you have to go the Pats website to support your (well @Waquoit's) point, maybe it is not on solid ground.

The Pat's waited until the two days before they'd actually have a financial commitment and then bailed. Rowland threaten to sue them and said he'd be a Giants fans from that point forward.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you have to go the Pats website to support your (well @Waquoit's) point, maybe it is not on solid ground.

The Pat's waited until the two days before they'd actually have a financial commitment and then bailed. Rowland threaten to sue them and said he'd be a Giants fans from that point forward.
What point are you trying to make? I'm saying that the Pats were dead serious about moving to Hartford. It wasn't one elaborate feint.

CL82

Reaction Score
@Waquoit While the Pat's were publicly stating the commitment to Hartford, there were secret negotiations to keep them in Mass.

What Governor Rowland didn’t know was that momentum had been building back in Massachusetts to keep the Patriots. In December 1998, Dan Rooney, the owner of the Steelers and an influential figure in league circles, bumped into Paul Kirk Jr., the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, at a dinner in Washington, D.C. Kirk was a Boston power player, with deep ties to both the political and business scenes, and he also knew the league well. He was on the short list of candidates when the NFL last picked a commissioner.

“What can you do to help us keep the Patriots in Massachusetts?” Rooney asked. Like others around the league, Rooney was concerned about abandoning the Boston TV market. Kirk said he’d be happy to help, so, a few days later, Rooney put him in touch with NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue. They spoke about creating a stadium plan in Massachusetts, to give the Patriots an alternative to the Hartford deal. After that, Kirk decided to build a team of civic leaders to lead the effort, and Tagliabue decided to send a league executive to help. His stadium expert: Roger Goodell. Since the Hartford deal forbade Kraft from negotiating with other states, Goodell would essentially act as a liaison for both the league and Kraft, negotiating a deal on the Patriots’ behalf.

The Pat's waited until the two days before they'd actually have a financial commitment in the Hartford project and then bailed. The issues with steam plant had been resolved. All the other development took place. There was nothing that stopped the move to Hartfort

Link to detail SI story on the project

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
More bad faith from you. I ask again, what point are you trying to make? Again, my point was that "the Pats were dead serious about moving to Hartford" and they didn't because Rowland didn't have the issue of the steam plant nailed down. And to refute that point you link an article that says, "The Patriots worked out a new stadium deal in Massachusetts, in large part because of issues with the steam plant" in the third paragraph. The entire first part of the article was about the steam plant.

But you just ignore that. Everything thing you cut and paste occured after it became clear CT wouldn't be able to build the stadium in time. All that came from it was some infrastructure from the state and loan money from the NFL. Without that context, it looks more nefarious than it was. If you were a boxer "Bad Faith" would be a cool nickname, but here...

CL82

Reaction Score
More bad faith from you. I ask again, what point are you trying to make? Again, my point was that "the Pats were dead serious about moving to Hartford" and they didn't because Rowland didn't have the issue of the steam plant nailed down. And to refute that point you link an article that says, "The Patriots worked out a new stadium deal in Massachusetts, in large part because of issues with the steam plant" in the third paragraph. The entire first part of the article was about the steam plant.

But you just ignore that. Everything thing you cut and paste occured after it became clear CT wouldn't be able to build the stadium in time. All that came from it was some infrastructure from the state and loan money from the NFL. Without that context, it looks more nefarious than it was. If you were a boxer "Bad Faith" would be a cool nickname, but here...
I guess, except the article expressly says that the steam plant issue was resolved over two weeks before Kraft pull the plug on it. So saying that the steam plant was the impediment is not accurate since issue was resolved.

I don’t think you really understand what the phrase “bad faith“ actually means. Let me try to help by giving you an example. Stating that you are committed to moving to Hartford while there were secret negotiations to keep you in Massachusetts would be negotiating in “bad faith.”

I hope that helped.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I guess, except the article expressly says that the steam plant issue was resolved over two weeks before Kraft pull the plug on it. So saying that the steam plant was the impediment is not accurate since issue was resolved.

I don’t think you really understand what the phrase “bad faith“ actually means. Let me try to help by giving you an example. Stating that you are committed to moving to Hartford while there were secret negotiations to keep you in Massachusetts would be negotiating in “bad faith.”

I hope that helped.
The steam plant issue was never resolved. Bad faith is not answering the direct question of what point are you trying to make?

CL82

Reaction Score
The steam plant issue was never resolved. Bad faith is not answering the direct question of what point are you trying to make?
Did you read the article? Read the article.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Sure. The state will will build a new NFL stadium with the Bills then moving in. It will happen right after the new Hartford Civic Center has been built. ;)
Well, won’t the Canadiens need a place to play when they relocate?

CL82

Reaction Score
What is your point?
Uh, that you should read the article so actually understand what actually happened? I think that's pretty obvious. [SMH laughing]

CL82

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69