Cord Cutters | Page 42 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
YouTube TV in the NYC metropolitan area has MSG, SNY, all the ESPN’s, CBS Sports net, FS1, and FS2. I believe it’s $69.99 a month.
Can I just plug in a new York zip code or billing address when seeing up to get nyc metropolitan channels with msg?

Edit:

Nevermind I saw that msg is no longer included.

Reaction Score
Can I just plug in a new York zip code or billing address when seeing up to get nyc metropolitan channels with msg?

Edit:

Nevermind I saw that msg is no longer included.
I believe FUBO TV still has MSG and just about all other sports channels, but one may have to be in the tri-state area to get MSG/SNY etc.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Came back to the yard for research for exactly the same reason as @SoFla Steve cable is getting crazy.

My buddy swears by YouTube TV. Are their any channels missing for UConn games?

Need DVR, which I guess is unlimited for 9 months.

Is there any way to stream MSG through a service in CT without paying for the NBA package to watch the Knicks???
Easy solution...Friend don't let friend watch the Knicks.;)

Reaction Score
Came back to the yard for research for exactly the same reason as @SoFla Steve cable is getting crazy.

Is there any way to stream MSG through a service in CT without paying for the NBA package to watch the Knicks???
I get everything on Direct TV (and I mean everything in sports or otherwise) for $179 a month and the picture is slightly sharper than cable or streaming. Only thing we don’t get are the adult channels. Lol

Reaction Score

I've had YTTV for two years. Did free trial for Fubo & Sling. I love YTTV.

You can create your own menu. Has all the national sports networks other than Pac-12 Networks. Has FS1, FS1, BTN, CBSSN, MLB, NBA, NFL, Golf, Olympic channel and all 6 ESPN Networks.

Reaction Score
I get everything on Direct TV (and I mean everything in sports or otherwise) for $179 a month and the picture is slightly sharper than cable or streaming. Only thing we don’t get are the adult channels. Lol
Included Internet or TV only. I had DirecTV with Internet desperate.

Switched to Comcast to bundle TV and internet and it was cheaper. But price has gone up steadily.

Reaction Score
Included Internet or TV only. I had DirecTV with Internet desperate.

Switched to Comcast to bundle TV and internet and it was cheaper. But price has gone up steadily.
Five TV hookups only. I get internet off of Frontier which is the cheapest by far. You could also get internet only from Comcast or Spectrum but it’s twice what Frontier charges. I get every channel that Direct TV offers except the Adult stuff and it’s far cheaper than any Cable company, we had Spectrum and the total price with internet was $250.

Reaction Score
Five TV hookups only. I get internet off of Frontier which is the cheapest by far. You could also get internet only from Comcast or Spectrum but it’s twice what Frontier charges. I get every channel that Direct TV offers except the Adult stuff and it’s far cheaper than any Cable company, we had Spectrum and the total price with internet was $250.
I did that initially, DirecTV plus Comcast. Was cheaper at first. Then it wasn't.

Also I actually lost signal during bad storms. I was tired of freaking with that.

Reaction Score
I did that initially, DirecTV plus Comcast. Was cheaper at first. Then it wasn't.

Also I actually lost signal during bad storms. I was tired of freaking with that.
I have never lost a signal during a bad storm and I live on top of a mountain. Actually Direct TV has gotten much better in that respect, now when a bad storm approaches I lose the HD signal and it changes to a standard def signal, and that has happened to me once in the past year. It’s hi def signal is actually sharper than the sharpest picture you get from cable or streaming, I have actually verified that during live sports with a side by side comparison.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm back for the same reason. My cable bill is crazy, and I have loads of streaming services on top of that. Last time I did the math, cable was cheaper. But that was with my intro package that has since run out. Could call and threaten to leave for Fios I suppose. I've gone back and forth a few times now.

Any tips? Suggestions? I've used YouTube TV at my parent's house and I do not like the interface at all. It doesn't make sense to me. The blending of live and not live TV is confusing.

Reaction Score
I'm back for the same reason. My cable bill is crazy, and I have loads of streaming services on top of that. Last time I did the math, cable was cheaper. But that was with my intro package that has since run out. Could call and threaten to leave for Fios I suppose. I've gone back and forth a few times now.

Any tips? Suggestions? I've used YouTube TV at my parent's house and I do not like the interface at all. It doesn't make sense to me. The blending of live and not live TV is confusing.
Would highly recommend YouTube TV. Not really sure what you mean by the blending of live and not live TV, I find the interface pretty easy to use. It's just scrolling through a guide of all the live TV programs the same as you would on cable

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've finally got my wife to actually consider cutting the cord. But can't go with YTTV as it doesn't include ATTSportsNet which carries Pirates and Penguins games. Only FUBO carries it. So what's the latest on FUBO from folks who use that?

Reaction Score

I get the same thing on DirectTV for $169 that I was paying $230 for on Spectrum, and the picture is better.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Would highly recommend YouTube TV. Not really sure what you mean by the blending of live and not live TV, I find the interface pretty easy to use. It's just scrolling through a guide of all the live TV programs the same as you would on cable
Maybe it is how it is set up at my parents' house. But it was hard to use for me coming from cable.

Based on this, they all have some issues. One of my challenges is four TVs, plus possibly mobile screens. No NESN is a deal breaker for YouTube TV. No Red Sox or Bruins...no deal.

Fubo seems like the best bet. Direct TV lacks FS2. UConn is sometimes on FS2 right?

Reaction Score
Maybe it is how it is set up at my parents' house. But it was hard to use for me coming from cable.

Based on this, they all have some issues. One of my challenges is four TVs, plus possibly mobile screens. No NESN is a deal breaker for YouTube TV. No Red Sox or Bruins...no deal.

Fubo seems like the best bet. Direct TV lacks FS2. UConn is sometimes on FS2 right?
Wasn't thinking of it from the Boston so no NESN is definitely a deal breaker. I think UConn has had a few of the really bad non conference games on FS2, maybe 1 or 2 this past year

Reaction Score

Direct TV does have FS2, though it’s not in the 200’s like FS1. I think it’s in the 600’s.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I've finally got my wife to actually consider cutting the cord. But can't go with YTTV as it doesn't include ATTSportsNet which carries Pirates and Penguins games. Only FUBO carries it. So what's the latest on FUBO from folks who use that?

Fubo has been pretty great for me. Cost-wise, it's expensive, but gives most needed channels for live sports, but.....................................

...no Turner networks is a massive problem. NCAA tournament will be an issue (no TNT/TBS/TruTV), as well as NHL and NBA items. I have an alternate source for these, so we get by, but it's the big negative for Fubo, in general.

If you have an AppleTV, the multi-view that Fubo offers on that platform is the best-in-class. It's not even close. 4 screens at once during college saturdays is fantastic.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Fubo has been pretty great for me. Cost-wise, it's expensive, but gives most needed channels for live sports, but.....................................

...no Turner networks is a massive problem. NCAA tournament will be an issue (no TNT/TBS/TruTV), as well as NHL and NBA items. I have an alternate source for these, so we get by, but it's the big negative for Fubo, in general.

If you have an AppleTV, the multi-view that Fubo offers on that platform is the best-in-class. It's not even close. 4 screens at once during college saturdays is fantastic.
You guys are reminding me why I stuck with Cable.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You guys are reminding me why I stuck with Cable.
I'd think it should be possible to sign up for Hulu Live or Sling for March, then cancel, no? That should give you or me the Turner channels. For one month, it's worth the $. As long as UConn is there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'd think it should be possible to sign up for Hulu Live or Sling for March, then cancel, no? That should give you or me the Turner channels. For one month, it's worth the $. As long as UConn is there.
I'll add it to my spreadsheet. DirectTV stream service might be the best bet. I've got a bunch of options lined up for price comparison. It's complicated, as I've got 4-5 TVs. Two aren't connected to Cable (one via splitter so it only replicates). The cable box rental is a cost as well. Fios now has an app available via FireSticks, Apple TV and other platforms. It won't do 4k, but they give you one 4k box free. I like the idea of the flexibility, it gives you some of what the streaming services give you in that way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom