Cool article on the 20th Anniversary of the best WCBB team ever | The Boneyard

Cool article on the 20th Anniversary of the best WCBB team ever

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

UConn had taken the penultimate step toward perfection, crushing Tennessee 79-56 in a national semifinal before the largest crowd in women’s basketball history, and the Huskies were celebrating in the Alamodome locker room when Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt entered.

“Amazing,” said Ashley Valley, among the stunned UConn players. “Everybody in there was like, ‘Oh, my god.’ ”

It was March 29, 2002. Summitt’s entry and ensuing speech were unexpected, even unprecedented. With UConn coach Geno Auriemma attending a post-game press conference, Summitt asked associate head coach Chris Dailey if she could address the Huskies.

“You guys are everything the game should be,” Summitt told UConn players, according to her 2014 book, Sum It Up: A Thousand and Ninety-Eight Victories, a Couple of Irrelevant Losses, and a Life in Perspective. “And you need to go on and win the whole thing.”

I did not know this anecdote. Wow and alot of other quotes by present day players and coaches

Reaction Score
While I was never a fan of Pat or Tennessee for obvious reasons-UCONN wouldn't be UCONN without her. She was a marvelous woman, coach, recruiter, motivator, leader, and grower of the game. As I get older and think about her legacy, I appreciate her immensely. What she did as a pioneer in the women's sports movement is unprecedented greatness. I can't believe she was taken from this world so soon and it still doesn't seem real.

I still don't like Rocky Top, but I sing a long sometimes now..in her honor.

Reaction Score
While I was never a fan of Pat or Tennessee for obvious reasons-UCONN wouldn't be UCONN without her. She was a marvelous woman, coach, recruiter, motivator, leader, and grower of the game. As I get older and think about her legacy, I appreciate her immensely. What she did as a pioneer in the women's sports movement is unprecedented greatness. I can't believe she was taken from this world so soon and it still doesn't seem real.

I still don't like Rocky Top, but I sing a long sometimes now..in her honor.

I second your post and wish I could like it more than once.

Like a lot of people I loathed her & her team, right up until her announcement that she had early onset dementia.

Looking back now I see her as you do- as one of the greatest coaches & people in women's college basketball history.

Reaction Score
Hmm. Hmm. Hmm. There is no objective way to measure which is the finest team. Hmm. Hmm.

What about 2016? That team was as dominant, if not more so. The 2002 team did not crush Oklahoma in the final game, which that article skips over. The 2016 team won the final game by 30.

The 2002 team would be hard-pressed to handle Stewie. Yes, they had D. But Stewie is as incandescent a player as D. For sure. And, Mo had better stats than Sue. Hmm. Hmm.

As I wrote, there is no way to tell objectively. But 2016 was as much a force as 2002.

Hmm. For sure, there is no non-UConn team to debate about.

Then again, there is 2014. Bria, Stef, KML. Stewie was the best player in the country. They went 40-0. Hmm. Hmm.

Hmm.

Will we see the likes of these teams again? Well, next year we have two incredible bigs as freshmen. Hmm. Hmm. And Paige and Azzi. And Caroline Ducharme. Et al. Hmm. Hmm.

I am very fortunate to be a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
If you recall thats 2002 Oklahoma team had 3 all americans on their roster. They were not fodder and got to the final with a purpose. Stacy Dales was an awesome player as was Ross and Siemon.

Reaction Score
Anyone have a non-subscriber link? Outline didn't work. Thanks.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm not a subscriber and I had not problem. Check your ad blocker or try another browser.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes they do, but 10 of them belong to Sue (5) and DT (5).:cool:
There are 4 Olympic Gold Medalists in the group. That's pretty impressive too. And likely a record.

Reaction Score
Of course, we cannot compare total Olympic medals between 2002 and 2016. Anyway, that is irrelevant in comparing them in college.

Stewie probably will win 4 or 5 gold medals. And Mo and Tuck would have won many if they had not gotten hurt.

And, as I wrote originally, there is no objective basis to compare. I guess that makes it more fun!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hmm. Hmm. Hmm. There is no objective way to measure which is the finest team. Hmm. Hmm.

What about 2016? That team was as dominant, if not more so. The 2002 team did not crush Oklahoma in the final game, which that article skips over. The 2016 team won the final game by 30.

The 2002 team would be hard-pressed to handle Stewie. Yes, they had D. But Stewie is as incandescent a player as D. For sure. And, Mo had better stats than Sue. Hmm. Hmm.

As I wrote, there is no way to tell objectively. But 2016 was as much a force as 2002.

Hmm. For sure, there is no non-UConn team to debate about.

Then again, there is 2014. Bria, Stef, KML. Stewie was the best player in the country. They went 40-0. Hmm. Hmm.

Hmm.

Will we see the likes of these teams again? Well, next year we have two incredible bigs as freshmen. Hmm. Hmm. And Paige and Azzi. And Caroline Ducharme. Et al. Hmm. Hmm.

I am very fortunate to be a UConn fan.
I would not mind Geno having the present team watch the TN game on a perpetual loop to see how it is possible for 5 Rabid Huskies to go full speed every minute. Oh, and those bounce passes into the post. Just beautiful.

Reaction Score
I couldn't access the article either. It seems they found a way to bypass "Outline.com", so I took Jordy's advice and used my old Internet Explorer browser and 'VOILA'? If you don't have that browser anymore, definitely try another one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom