Connecticut residents what is your opinion? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Connecticut residents what is your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Left is 2005. I don’t know what, if anything, would make us go back. I wish all in the northeast could experience life in the south. Not a better place to raise a family and grow wealth w/o taxes, and a high cost of living.
Wha?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Left is 2005. I don’t know what, if anything, would make us go back. I wish all in the northeast could experience life in the south. Not a better place to raise a family and grow wealth w/o taxes, and a high cost of living.
Publix is a pretty good supermarket chain.

And the south is a good place for god-fearing straight white conservatives.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
cuz sumone said daint no mountains round these parts. as if
EYJ6QOMZCBGMVFSNTJKKFCLDWM.jpg

why, they even roll right down to the sea, to white sand beaches!
extra_large_08e2dd60d4a599af434e324207eb966b.jpg

heck, if u time it right in the spring, u can snowboard in the morning, then spin down the road and surfboard in the afternoon. u know where on this globe u can conveniently do that? answer: not too many places.
Connecticut: almost everrthing on the planet available, just in smaller packages.
this place is cool.
If you consider them mountains or those beaches, right there is a major problem with CT.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
If you consider them mountains or those beaches, right there is a major problem with CT.
Florida is jealous of those peaks, and half the states are jealous of those white sand beaches. im not greedy.
u prolly put pineapple, honey, and walnuts on ur deep dish doodoo, then reach for the pepto after. not quite the holistic eating that hippocrates preached aboot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There isn’t any best place. Or worst. They are just different. Well, California is the worst, even if it may be geographically the best. Odd that. I had to get out.

I could argue a lot of things but it would turn ugly. Live where you are happy and comfortable. I could manage in lots of places. Was interested in a really cool house in Mandeville, LA recently. Near the lake, walks to historic downtown including breweries, restaurants and bars. All for a lot less than it costs here in New England. My sister lives in Aiken, SC. Cool downtown, fun stuff, near Augusta GA. It’s horse country, loads of them. Hot in summer, but no snow.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
After the last few years, I can't see living anywhere else.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Florida is jealous of those peaks, and half the states are jealous of those white sand beaches.
None that I've ever met. I've lived in FL, wasn't jealous of anything from CT.

But someone has to live there (I suppose). As long as it isn't me. I know many people who do live there. I just feel sorry for them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There isn’t any best place. Or worst. They are just different. Well, California is the worst, even if it may be geographically the best. Odd that. I had to get out.
I likely wouldn't be happy living on the West Coast. But I do think I could make a go of San Diego. NH-style pizza, solid coffee and beer scenes, and great fish tacos cover multitudes of sins. Always enjoyed my visits there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I likely wouldn't be happy living on the West Coast. But I do think I could make a go of San Diego. NH-style pizza, solid coffee and beer scenes, and great fish tacos cover multitudes of sins. Always enjoyed my visits there.
It's the best of CA for sure. But it's still expensive as hell, and those taxes. Oof.

I've not found anywhere that's perfect really. Every place has some downsides. I prefer Massachusetts to CT. But then I'm an east of the river CT raised kid who hates NYC. I used to love Boston, and I still like it, but they are ruining it with too many high rises.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
general realty observations.
California is the most blessed turf on this planet. one looooong trip thru the central valley is, well, anybuddy paying attention to the world and it's current food crises? so, one day, im sittin in the desk chair, lookin out the window above 'downtown' SF, and i notice that the buildings are swaying, and the earth is shaking. the end of the Cliffy in Cali saga. period.
Florida? myuns been kicking around there since the 1890's - with pix!
Aiken? bought sum stuff there almost 20 years ago, and yes, the original hook was the horse thing.
all very fine places, just not for me. i got enuf horse problems here at home, and i don't care how big they grow the melons, onions, and bokchoy, it ain't worth the chance of a building falling on my head, or the ground opening up to swallow me. money is an important dynamic in this game of life, but it falls far, far, short of peace of mind. enlightenment 101.

Reaction Score
I grew up there from birth to 18, went back there every summer from UNI in Maine from 18-23, and had a one-year stint there after 2 years abroad @ 26 and revisited for holidays for 3 years from 27-29 when I lived in DC. 38 now, haven't been back in nearly 8 years.

That is my experience with the state. I also think it is enough to come to a solid conclusion as far as a personal opinion. I did not like growing up in CT. It was hard being a lower-income shy student in a predominantly higher-income town in the SE of the state where quite a number of students got gifted Benz or other similar types of cars once they got a license. I was not exposed to the diversity I have since grown to love in traveling to, now, 40 countries/living in 7, whether that is from the people or the food I enjoy so much. I personally found it relaxing to visit from UNI, a novelty that usually wore off after a week or so, and after became boring, not a heck of a lot to do. From DC, similar feeling. Cool to go to the beach after being away from it for months, then you realize all the out of towners from other CT areas treat your hometown as a rubbish bin. I don't find the people I came across during my time to be the most friendly (not unfriendly either). Just the same they don't look up at others as they pass by, just stare at the ground. I don't find many residents to be that warm but at the same time, kind of nosy in situations where they have no business being part of. The food quality is...ok. Lifestyle, a little too much "keeping up with the Jones" for my taste. But with that said, it is not the "worst" and I think any CT resident claiming that is being a little outrageous unless they have very difficult life circumstances. I don't think I would go back for good as I did for a year in 2010/11, but an occasional week-long visit is ok for family. W/o family or friends, I'd never go back, honestly. I think if you are looking to live somewhere and set down roots in the US, there are better values for your money, especially in regard to housing and more cultural offerings/things to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are so many Top/Worst 10/50/100 of anything that can make one head spin...if one doesn't like the results from one poll keep searching until you find the one you like. Here's another Worst States to live in 2022 where CT is ranked 21st. IMO, this sounds more realistic.

1650967877398.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger