Congrats to Mick Cronin | The Boneyard

Congrats to Mick Cronin

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mick has his team in the Sweet 16 the first time eligible, winning 3 games already. Not bad for a guy that was never going to get past the first weekend again. Now he's one of the few coaches with a team in the dance for 10 straight seasons. Yet, I've read on the Yard that he's not a good coach. Meanwhile, his old team with a fanbase that was glad to see him go has what, 5 players now?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Toughen Up College Sports GIF by NCAA March Madness

Reaction Score
Mick is a very good coach. He may not win you national titles (yet), but he guarantees you a very good team that comes to play every night and dances every year.

I watched a lot of UCLA basketball this year. At no point would you have said “this is a team that’s going to make a deep run.” It’s all matchups and playing well at the right time. (I like Cronin a lot.)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I had a good joke about him winning 2 games and still not making it to the sweet 16 queued up.

He’s a pretty entertaining watch when he’s not coaching a team you hate.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
As someone here said the other day, perhaps it was really Cincy that was allergic to Cronin's coaching.

Now he may be able to recruit better in LA, and get better results.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I have always been a Mick fan. He coaches with a chip on his shoulder.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Do we base how good a team or coach is if they win one or two games in the Tourney, but continue to finish middle of their conference year after year? Not necessarily talking about Cronin.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Imagine how well UCLA’s first 10 choices for the job could’ve done

Reaction Score
Do we base how good a team or coach is if they win one or two games in the Tourney, but continue to finish middle of their conference year after year? Not necessarily talking about Cronin.
I'd say a good coach is one who is able to maximize his personnel to consistently win games. Post season is a different animal, and some coaches take longer to figure things out to proceed to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8.

As for Final Fours, a lot of that is how the ball bounces and who's hot. Having an All American type player is paramount to get to the Final Four. Achieving multiple Final Fours (think Izzo) elevates a coaches status, especially if done year after year.

Just saying Championships are for measuring elite coaches, but there are quite a few good coaches who are capable of sniffing a Final Four one day. And most importantly there are some good coaches that can take a little and make a lot. Those are the 'gems' who one day take over established programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I suspect this will be an unpopular opinion here but I find it far more impressive when a team has continued regular season success (like Kansas winning 14 straight regular season titles) than a few runs in March

Reaction Score
I suspect this will be an unpopular opinion here but I find it far more impressive when a team has continued regular season success (like Kansas winning 14 straight regular season titles) than a few runs in March
I agree. Saying that Kansas winning the Big 12 regular season title 14 years in a row isn't a big deal is just ignorant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I never hated Mick Cronin. Hated some of those Cincy teams but respect the program and what he did. Granted it's been against meh competition, but making the Sweet 16 without probably your best player is very impressive. Good for him

Reaction Score
I watched a lot of UCLA basketball this year. At no point would you have said “this is a team that’s going to make a deep run.” It’s all matchups and playing well at the right time. (I like Cronin a lot.)

For the most part, the whole tournament is about matchups. Mick got his team into the tourney and he’s winning games. That’s a lot better than most coaches. He’s rock solid. He puts a group of guys out there that battle and defend with everything they’ve got. He’s got a special talent.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Mick has his team in the Sweet 16 the first time eligible, winning 3 games already. Not bad for a guy that was never going to get past the first weekend again. Now he's one of the few coaches with a team in the dance for 10 straight seasons. Yet, I've read on the Yard that he's not a good coach. Meanwhile, his old team with a fanbase that was glad to see him go has what, 5 players now?
I love Mick. But you're a loser...shut up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom