Congrats Iowa | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Congrats Iowa

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I was impressed with how Zia Cooke actually led SC to keep them in the game every time Clark exerted herself. 24 pts on 11-21 and 8 rebounds was pretty darn good. She was the second best player on the floor.

Like I had said, the 3 main themes all played out- 1. Clark had to have a great game 41 pts/8 assists/8 rebounds 2. SC is a bad shooting team 30-77 (39%) and 4-20 (20%) 3. SC is an outstanding rebounding team-49 rebounds to 25 and 26 OFFENSIVE rebounds which is what kept them in the game.

The two key stats were 15 turnovers by SC to just 10 for Iowa and the 14-14 free throws for Iowa to 9-13 for SC.

Really a great game that honestly, no one needs to hang their head. Dawn should also not have to answer stupid questions about "style" as SC is not overly physical nor selfish. They play excellent defense and have good ball movement. Getting some true shooters would help.

Congrats on a great season Gamecocks and best of luck to Iowa against LSU.

Reaction Score
I have all the respect for Boston but honestly them complaining about the media posting photos of her heartbreaking loss against Stanford is kind of crazy. It has nothing to do with the color of her skin. It could have been Clark or Bueckers and that same thing would have been plastered everywhere. Boston (player of NPOY caliber) missed the game winning/tying (can’t remember which) buzzer beating tip in and of course was heart broken. It was a big story line. I haven’t even seen the picture this year. It was the context of the last play which is why the picture seemed to go viral. No photos are going to go viral of her crying in the post game pressor this year because the context doesn’t matter. If she was just crying and hadn’t missed the game winning shot the photo would not have mattered. In Men’s you’d see the same thing I bet. Maybe I’m wrong, I just think it’s kind of being blown out of the water.
I agree completely agree, images of players crying are always popular. The headline of ESPN was Nika crying after our Ohio State loss. It’s part of the game, South Carolinas obsession with this the last two years was always weird to me.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I noticed the officials were more attentive to holding fouls on the perimeter and whistled a few of those against the SC guards. I wonder if that dampened their enthusiasm on defense.

Also, like others, I was surprised we didn't see even more of Amihere. She was very effective in her minutes. Does she not have the stamina to play more than 15 mins? This may be a hidden cost of playing too deep a rotation all season. When you need a particular person to play longer, they may not be able to sustain it.
I think Dawn should of played Amihere more on Clark. She gave her problems in the second quarter. She has the length and wingspan to recover when Clark blows by you. Amihere, Raven, and Cardodso should have started the 3rd quarter but that would have deviated from what we have done all year. What really killed SC is that Beal probably had her worse game on both end of the court since she has been at SC.

Reaction Score
I think Dawn should of played Amihere more on Clark. She gave her problems in the second quarter. She has the length and wingspan to recover when Clark blows by you. Amihere, Raven, and Cardodso should have started the 3rd quarter but that would have deviated from what we have done all year. What really killed SC is that Beal probably had her worse game on both end of the court since she has been at SC.
I can’t believe Amihere only played 15 minutes

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Boston is the clear #1. Her physical size, skills, and overall game would work well in the Pros. She's got a mid-range game (wasnt used as much this year) in addition to being a monster rebounder/inside scorer. She would make an immediate impact.
When has she shown a mid range game? Hasn't in any of the many games I've watched her play or a good handle or a good passer. Which recent WNBA champions had limited mobility centers?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
When has she shown a mid range game? Hasn't in any of the many games I've watched her play or a good handle or a good passer. Which recent WNBA champions had limited mobility centers?
Boston showed a lot more midrange and 3pt shooting her first 3 years. I recall during a game the announcer mentioned Dawn said her best skill is her ability to face up and hit shots. She has excellent form that will continue to improve, and she'll be able to score a lot more easily in the pros when teams can't camp out on her in the paint. Most of the great bigs in the W today didn't come to the league with great perimeter shots or passing skills but have honed their craft over time (ex. Tina Charles, Jonquel Jones, Brittney Griner, A'ja Wilson, Nneka Ogwumike, etc.)

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Boston showed a lot more midrange and 3pt shooting her first 3 years. I recall during a game the announcer mentioned Dawn said her best skill is her ability to face up and hit shots. She has excellent form that will continue to improve, and she'll be able to score a lot more easily in the pros when teams can't camp out on her in the paint. Most of the great bigs in the W today didn't come to the league with great perimeter shots or passing skills but have honed their craft over time (ex. Tina Charles, Jonquel Jones, Brittney Griner, A'ja Wilson, Nneka Ogwumike, etc.)
Tina for one already had a mid range game at UConn, that is one reason she became NPOY. And none of those are as immobile as she is. She is career 24% from 3 And only 55% total, most from within 5'. Czinano for example a career 67% shooter

Reaction Score
Tina for one already had a mid range game at UConn, that is one reason she became NPOY. And none of those are as immobile as she is. She is career 24% from 3 And only 55% total, most from within 5'. Czinano for example a career 67% shooter
I don’t think I’d describe Boston as immobile, that’s kind of ludicrous to say. She can defensively switch on guards out on the perimeter for crying out loud.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Boston has a midrange game too even if it wasn’t on display much this year. And 55% is an excellent percentage. For reference, Wilson was 55% at SC, Griner 57% at Baylor. And it’s silly to label her as immobile. She moves extremely well for her size.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Boston has a midrange game too even if it wasn’t on display much this year. And 55% is an excellent percentage. For reference, Wilson was 55% at SC, Griner 57% at Baylor. And it’s silly to label her as immobile. She moves extremely well for her size.
Did you not try to compare her to players like Nneka , and Tina. Compared to them she is immobile.

Reaction Score
Did you not try to compare her to players like Nneka , and Tina. Compared to them she is immobile.
I think they’re both quicker than Boston for sure, but she’s also taller and stronger than both of them. She’s also ahead of both of them on the defensive side coming out of college.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score

I get that you're not a fan of hers or just looking for negatives to highlight, but Boston is the clear #1 pick for this draft even if she had an underwhelming game last night. She has a skill set most feel will thrive in the league.

Reaction Score
Zia Cooke kept this from being a rout. Caitlin Clark was other-wordly. Czinano was a problem. Iowa had a brilliant gameplan and executed it because Clark listens to Bluder like a podcast. She is their coach on the floor. Staley and her team will be back but Clark made up her mind that she was not going to lose and they didn't. The coverage on Clark was pedestrian and I think South Carolina underestimated her.

Bluder is a great coach but the way her team executes her plan is why they are in the title game. She called the right timeouts, switched defenses so many times, ran the same actions when they worked, and her substitutions were key. That's coaching. Both Dawn and Geno seemed resigned when their team didn't follow the game plan. Watching them fail safely to see if they can't navigate. Bluder takes action when she sees things she doesn't like. Kudos to her and her staff

Reaction Score
I figured SC would win but great job Iowa. Clark is the real deal.

This tournament has been so unpredictable.
Women's basketball is wild but OK.
Men's basketball tournament is way beyond predicated. The men's final four are: (no any #3 seeds or better in the Final For)
#5 Miami vs, #4 UConn, and
#9 Florida Atlantic (71) vs, #6 San Diego State (72).

Reaction Score
Women's basketball is wild but OK.
Men's basketball tournament is way beyond predicated. The men's final four are: (no any #3 seeds or better in the Final For)
#5 Miami vs, #4 UConn, and
#9 Florida Atlantic (71) vs, #6 San Diego State (72).
I think the men’s tournament arguably had too much March madness this year. I like where the women’s game is at right now. Unpredictable but not overly so

Reaction Score
I agree completely agree, images of players crying are always popular. The headline of ESPN was Nika crying after our Ohio State loss. It’s part of the game, South Carolinas obsession with this the last two years was always weird to me.

The old "Thrill of victory and agony of defeat" aka NBC Olympic sports coverage.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think the men’s tournament arguably had too much March madness this year. I like where the women’s game is at right now. Unpredictable but not overly so
Agreed. I like when we get to see some of the great matchups pan out but not complete unknowns like on the men’s side. I don’t think many people penciled in LSU/Iowa but their journeys getting here have been remarkably entertaining.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I get that you're not a fan of hers or just looking for negatives to highlight, but Boston is the clear #1 pick for this draft even if she had an underwhelming game last night. She has a skill set most feel will thrive in the league.
I know Indiana has the first pick, they have no center with any skills so she fits. I am partial to mobile stretch the defense post players. Like both WNBA finalists had last season.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I think they’re both quicker than Boston for sure, but she’s also taller and stronger than both of them. She’s also way ahead of both of them on the defensive side coming out of college.
Nope they could guard smaller players with their foot speed.

Reaction Score
Nope they could guard smaller players with their foot speed.
Were either of them the 2-time reigning defensive player of the year coming out of college? Have you watched Aliyah play defense? She can guard centers and switch on guards out on the perimeter. Nneka and Tina have both become great defenders as pros but I don’t think either were as good coming out of college.

Reaction Score
I’m beginning to weary of all the statements in the press about Bluder’s brilliant defensive strategy, as though it were some intricate scheme. All she did was pack the paint and dare the guards to shoot. It’s pretty much what every team did to us when Azzi and Caroline went down. Nothing new here.

Reaction Score
I’m beginning to weary of all the statements in the press about Bluder’s brilliant defensive strategy, as though it were some intricate scheme. All she did was pack the paint and dare the guards to shoot. It’s pretty much what every team did to us when Azzi and Caroline went down. Nothing new here.
It’s also was every team did to South Carolina this season. The difference was Dawns terrible defensive strategy on the other end of the court. South Carolina still scored 70+ points, not impressive considering they shot 20% from three.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom