OT: - College in the COVID era | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: College in the COVID era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also, immunity from a vaccine is supposed to be much stronger than immunity from simply contracting Covid itself.

Currently, there are no studies as to how long immunity lasts for patients who have had Covid 19 and then tested negative after a course of treatment, or after a 14 day quarantine. In fact, there is some concern of repeat episodes of Covid 19 in those who have had the illness. Many who have tested negative for Covid 19 after having had it, still have ongoing debilitating symptoms and heart and lung damage that may or may not get better. These are called "long haulers." There are articles on this subject.

These folks are frustrated and angry because of their doctors telling them it's all from stress or depression.

An effective vaccine certainly has the potential to immunize those taking it, at least to a fair degree of reliability.

Yes, the polio vaccine did work.

Reaction Score
Currently, there are no studies as to how long immunity lasts for patients who have had Covid 19 and then tested negative after a course of treatment, or after a 14 day quarantine. In fact, there is some concern of repeat episodes of Covid 19 in those who have had the illness. Many who have tested negative for Covid 19 after having had it, still have ongoing debilitating symptoms and heart and lung damage that may or may not get better. These are called "long haulers." There are articles on this subject.

These folks are frustrated and angry because of their doctors telling them it's all from stress or depression.

An effective vaccine certainly has the potential to immunize those taking it, at least to a fair degree of reliability.

Vaccines are stronger than exposure as a general rule. Obviously we don't even have a vaccine.

There is no evidence currently of people who got it twice other than those who had a recurrence from not having kicked it.

The debilities suffered bu the so-called long haulers are really no different than the ailments that come after any number of infections, because they are mostly all related to disruption in blood pressure, organ inflammation, and neurological illness. But this is not uncommon post-infection.

There were a lot of people living with rheumatological illness, dysautonomia, CFS, etc. The Mayo Clinic believes over 50% of these cases arise as post infection illness. If you go to someone who has no experience with these diseases, they really don't know what to do with them. As it is, there are no cures for many of these syndromes, only treatments.

Reaction Score
I am not an anti vaxxer. There was no need for this rant. Polio has not been eradicated unfortunately. Smallpox is the only virus we’ve eradicated so far.

There has never been vaccine for any coronavirus. It is not clear how it will work. I think there is a very good chance that it will function more like a flu vaccine. Meaning it may not prevent infection but would reduce the severity of any resulting illness.

You have a lot to learn. This was not a rant, I was trying to educate you. I have done research on viruses but retired last year, a lot of my work was in labs and clean rooms, lots of sem and tem study, prep, etc.

As for severity of viruses in adults and the elderly vs pre pubescent children just look at viruses like the Mumps, Chicken Pox, Measles, AND Covid 19. If you're an adult and you get chicken pox you can get extremely I'll, same for mumps and measles. Why? What makes a young childs immune system so robust vs some viruses?

There are Covid 19 vaccines in phase 3 trials, and they are extremely promising. It is very possible the FDA could approve them for certain segments of the population sometime after January.

Reaction Score

I have kept in touch with my colleagues since retirement, and can say that 75% of those with permanent damage were current or former smokers. What is damning IMO is not calling smoking a pre existing condition when collating the data, and don't believe BS articles on the web saying smoking is good for Covid 19 patients.

Reaction Score
I have kept in touch with my colleagues since retirement, and can say that 75% of those with permanent damage were current or former smokers. What is damning IMO is not calling smoking a pre existing condition when collating the data, and don't believe BS articles on the web saying smoking is good for Covid 19 patients.
Studies don't back up what you're saying.

Reaction Score
Studies don't back up what you're saying.
Our study and some observational studies in tandem with some local Hospitals came to a figure of about 75%, however I am aware of some studies that arrived at just under 50%.

Reaction Score
Our study and some observational studies in tandem with some local Hospitals came to a figure of about 75%, however I am aware of some studies that arrived at just under 50%.

Smoking and the risk of COVID-19 in a large observational population study

Are smokers protected from COVID-19? - Hospital Healthcare Europe

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You have a lot to learn. This was not a rant, I was trying to educate you. I have done research on viruses but retired last year, a lot of my work was in labs and clean rooms, lots of sem and tem study, prep, etc.

As for severity of viruses in adults and the elderly vs pre pubescent children just look at viruses like the Mumps, Chicken Pox, Measles, AND Covid 19. If you're an adult and you get chicken pox you can get extremely I'll, same for mumps and measles. Why? What makes a young childs immune system so robust vs some viruses?

There are Covid 19 vaccines in phase 3 trials, and they are extremely promising. It is very possible the FDA could approve them for certain segments of the population sometime after January.

I am well aware of everything you just said. I hope most people are as it all common knowledge. I was one of those people who got chicken pox as an adult, at UConn actually. It was not pretty. Maybe don’t assume other people have “a lot to learn”. I think you misread both my posts and assumed I was saying something I wasn’t.

The vaccines look promising. I hope that at least one gets through phase 3 and is approved. I agree with you on smoking. My teen daughter observed back in spring that vaping might have been a reason some young people were more severely affected by COVID 19 and it seems that is a factor. COVID-19 roundup: Coronavirus linked to muscle-weakening disease; vaping heightens risk

Reaction Score
I am well aware of everything you just said. I hope most people are as it all common knowledge. I was one of those people who got chicken pox as an adult, at UConn actually. It was not pretty. Maybe don’t assume other people have “a lot to learn”. I think you misread both my posts and assumed I was saying something I wasn’t.

The vaccines look promising. I hope that at least one gets through phase 3 and is approved. I agree with you on smoking. My teen daughter observed back in spring that vaping might have been a reason some young people were more severely affected by COVID 19 and it seems that is a factor. COVID-19 roundup: Coronavirus linked to muscle-weakening disease; vaping heightens risk
Maybe this is common knowledge, but for those who got chicken pox as a child, there is a Shingrix vaccination that is 97% effective to prevent Shingles, something more likely to happen to someone who previously had chicken pox.

For those who are adults and never got chicken pox, there is a chicken pox vaccine separate from the Shingrix.

Your text triggered my examining if there was one, and I found the link below.

Sorry you got the chicken pox as an adult. I got it as a child and it was not a pleasant experience. If you talk to your doctor, he can better advise if you should get either or both, since there are some conditions that would contraindicate getting the vaccine(s)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Maybe this is common knowledge, but for those who got chicken pox as a child, there is a Shingrix vaccination that is 97% effective to prevent Shingles, something more likely to happen to someone who previously had chicken pox.

For those who are adults and never got chicken pox, there is a chicken pox vaccine separate from the Shingrix.

Your text triggered my examining if there was one, and I found the link below.

Sorry you got the chicken pox as an adult. I got it as a child and it was not a pleasant experience. If you talk to your doctor, he can better advise if you should get either or both, since there are some conditions that would contraindicate getting the vaccine(s)

Yes, my wife got the shingles vaccine a few weeks ago. I have my physical coming up soon and plan to ask about it.

Reaction Score
All they do is talk about the ratio of smokers to non smokers who test positive or negative. What no one says in those articles is what is the ratio of non smokers to smokers, either current or former, who actually died from the disease. That's what we focused on, not the testing. Our data showed that the number of non smokers who died from Covid 19 was much lower, we also correlated that with age and smoking frequency, as well as cigarette brand. The results were startling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All they do is talk about the ratio of smokers to non smokers who test positive or negative. What no one says in those articles is what is the ratio of non smokers to smokers, either current or former, who actually died from the disease. That's what we focused on, not the testing. Our data showed that the number of non smokers who died from Covid 19 was much lower, we also correlated that with age and smoking frequency, as well as cigarette brand. The results were startling.
Studies around the world have shown that smokers/vapers have been far less likely to be hospitalized for Covid than the non-smoking population. When you say "your" data I don't know what you're talking about but the article "data" you linked was funded by the FDA/big pharma and they've had a continued assault on vaping for years that is totally antithetical to their stated mission of protecting our health so I'll take anything funded by them with a huge grain of salt. I could spend days talking about the corruption on this issue but won't bore you.

As soon as I saw Stanton Glantz in your article I got agita, that guy is flat out dangerous.

Reaction Score
Studies around the world have shown that smokers/vapers have been far less likely to be hospitalized for Covid than the non-smoking population. When you say "your" data I don't know what you're talking about but the article "data" you linked was funded by the FDA/big pharma and they've had a continued assault on vaping for years that is totally antithetical to their stated mission of protecting our health so I'll take anything funded by them with a huge grain of salt. I could spend days talking about the corruption on this issue but won't bore you.

As soon as I saw Stanton Glantz in your article I got agita, that guy is flat out dangerous.
Glantz is a renowned researcher, but ok, maybe he is dangerous because he says smoking is bad for you. :rolleyes:

What brand do you smoke?

BTW, your check from RJ Reynolds is in the mail box.

Here's an early study from last March........

Reaction Score
Glantz is a renowned researcher, but ok, maybe he is dangerous because he says smoking is bad for you. :rolleyes:

What brand do you smoke?

BTW, your check from RJ Reynolds is in the mail box.

Here's an early study from last March........
I used to smoke and quit a couple years ago because of vaping which has helped millions of others quit smoking and is the biggest innovation and tool for quitting we've ever had...

You're going to have to do way better than linking "data" from Stanton Glantz, he's about the most dangerous fraudster out there.

Go to this video at the 1 minute mark- he states vaping is obviously way safer than smoking...
Watch "PROMOTING THE TOBACCO EPIDEMIC | GLANTZ ON E-CIGS | PART 1 (REG WATCH)" on YouTube

then states at other times vapers would be better off smoking cigarettes. The guy is a really dangerous spinster. He's been discredited over and over with fake studies, caught in lies, he's a really dangerous ideologue.

Stanton Glantz Says Vapers Should Smoke Cigarettes, Instead

A study claimed vaping doubles risk for heart attacks. It's been retracted for being 'unreliable'
I take it you are just not familiar with the assault Stanton Glantz and other gov't backed "experts" have had on the vaping industry and the reasons why they have done this when it's totally antithetical to public health. There's a major reason the gov't and Glantz have cozied up with big tobacco/big pharma while assaulting the vape industry and it's really ugly.

Reaction Score
No, since applications will be sent out probably in October. She can take the SAT next month (hopefully) but won't have scores before she applies. All the schools are now test optional, but nobody including the admissions officers (saw a webinar with one from UConn) knows how they will determine who to admit. Most of them will be making it up as they go. Then add the deferrals from the 2020 HS class and you have a disaster.

Not sure what a vaccine does anyway. It doesn't stop you from getting the virus, it just makes you largely asymptomatic if you do...just like college kids already are.
No - vaccines prevent you from getting the disease. The only reason that people still get the flu after vaccination is because there are so many variations.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No - vaccines prevent you from getting the disease. The only reason that people still get the flu after vaccination is because there are so many variations.
This is all way off topic.

I realize it is a subtle point, but not all vaccines prevent infection, even if they do prevent disease. Not just the Flu shot, which we know is a guess of the strains expected to be prevalent that season. There are over 200 COVID vaccines in the works. And there are reports that the first ones may not prevent infection even if it prevents the disease.

Reaction Score
This is all way off topic.

I realize it is a subtle point, but not all vaccines prevent infection, even if they do prevent disease. Not just the Flu shot, which we know is a guess of the strains expected to be prevalent that season. There are over 200 COVID vaccines in the works. And there are reports that the first ones may not prevent infection even if it prevents the disease.

If it doesn't prevent disease it is a treatment.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Back on topic, my daughter’s third scheduled SAT test has now been cancelled like the other two. So that’s the end of that. Glad I spent money on SAT prep.

I really do no understand why they can’t hold SATs in a big gym with tables far apart. It’s an extremely low risk situation.

Reaction Score
Back on topic, my daughter’s third scheduled SAT test has now been cancelled like the other two. So that’s the end of that. Glad I spent money on SAT prep.

I really do no understand why they can’t hold SATs in a big gym with tables far apart. It’s an extremely low risk situation.

Because the private company that runs them pays chicken scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom