Cole is going to need some Help | The Boneyard

Cole is going to need some Help

Reaction Score
Gaffney struggled again today. If this team is going to make a run in March - we are going to need Hawkins to emerge. Along with Cole and Martin they seem to be the only players that can take their guy off the dribble and make a play
Gaffney is a midmajor player at best. Hes in over his head against high level teams. He is who he is. Diggins needs to grow up quick fast because Cole cannot carry the load himself all season. Hawkins is a score not a ball handler who i trust to make the right pass. Sure Diggins is also a frosh but hes a pg.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
No one on the team even came back to help. No one even looked to see if Cole needed help

This team is awful at that. They constantly leave Sanogo on an island too when he's trapped in a double team, how can we expect him to pass out of nobody's trying to come back to him for the ball?

Reaction Score
Gaffney struggled again today. If this team is going to make a run in March - we are going to need Hawkins to emerge. Along with Cole and Martin they seem to be the only players that can take their guy off the dribble and make a play
I wanted to strangle Gaffney, nothing personal mind you.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to say Hawkins or Diggins should be playing over Gaffney. I completely trust DH and staff to know his team and who should play. I'm just surprised we haven't recruited and developed a player that can give us more than Gaff gave us in this tournament. Gaff has been around a while. He should be a reliable option. He's a junior. He's always hovered around being a starter. But he layed an egg in this tournament.

If there isn't a guy on the bench that's capable of playing better than Gaff, DH and staff need to recognize they messed up. We have one reliable ball handler. That should of never happened.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Regarding the ball-handling: Is there any chance of rethinking the Corey Floyd red-shirt?

Reaction Score
It's mind boggling considering Hurley himself played the PG position and should know how important the position is in college basketball

Reaction Score
Team needs to do better in handling double teams. There were numerous times where the team practically ran away from the ball during a double team situation either on Cole or Sanogo. No worries. I'm sure we'll be working on getting that fixed before the next game.

Reaction Score
Team needs to do better in handling double teams. There were numerous times where the team practically ran away from the ball during a double team situation either on Cole or Sanogo. No worries. I'm sure we'll be working on getting that fixed before the next game.
I read somewhere that Geno runs an 8-on-5 drill in practice. I feel like something like that would simulate multiple double teams and the havoc defense we saw today. Hurley should take a page out of his book.

Reaction Score
I am guessing the blame put on Hurley by some posters is a simple "The coach said this but the players did that" scenario.

Hurley always protects his players and will not call them out but I cannot believe what I saw today is Hurley's vision for how we should play.

Reaction Score
Martin needs to stop doing fade aways or weak shots with his left hand. Go strong to the hoops as you are beast to handle. He should be living at the foul line.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that Geno runs an 8-on-5 drill in practice. I feel like something like that would simulate multiple double teams and the havoc defense we saw today. Hurley should take a page out of his book.

I'm sure Hurley knows how to fix it. Its just up to the players to recognize and get some spacing and find the open spot.

Not sure if it's clear when posting from the phone but Cole and Jackson effectively are covered by one guy and Martin was just a little late to help.

Ended up with a 3 from Whaley though.

Attachments

• 20211126_175459.jpg
    20211126_175459.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 86

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No one on the team even came back to help. No one even looked to see if Cole needed help

That's the coaching plan right now. They want one guard to get the pass, clear everyone put and have the guard best the press Single handedly.

It hasn't been good so far and won be good.

Cole, Gaff and either Jax and Martin worked towards end of regulation and OT.

Reaction Score
At the very least you would think Diggins would be needed against teams that press.
gotta get him for big east battle. we have skilled freshman, play them!

Reaction Score
Regarding the ball-handling: Is there any chance of rethinking the Corey Floyd red-shirt?

There is no reason they can't. But if they thought would be a better emergency option this year than Diggins, he wouldn't be the one redshirting.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cole doesn't help himself against pressure. Moves backwards and allows sideline and end line or half court line to be extra defenders. He needs to attack hard between defenders as they start the double team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom