COLE in over his head | The Boneyard

COLE in over his head

Reaction Score
The reason Cole was at Howard, whle Gaffney was a top 100 player, is easy to see. Can not keep playing Cole until we are down 15, then turn to Gaffney.

Reaction Score
Cole leads the team in assists by a lot. He is among the best scorers. And Hurley constantly credits his on the ball pressure after games.

Except for that he is in over his head.
Good stats, when team not playing well. The team is better with Gaffney.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Disagree about him being in over his head. Cole deserves to continue playing 25-30 mins a game even when Bouk returns. I do think Gaffney should be running the point moving forward though. Cole should move off the ball which will get him more of the shots he should be taking instead of shots he is forced to take.

Reaction Score
Disagree about him being in over his head. Cole deserves to continue playing 25-30 mins a game even when Bouk returns. I do think Gaffney should be running the point moving forward though. Cole should move off the ball which will get him more of the shots he should be taking instead of shots he is forced to take.
If Gaffney is running the point and Bouknight is back then I don't see where there are 25-30 minutes for Cole. Only way I see that happening is if there are long stretches where Cole, Gaffney and Bouknight are on the court together. Is that what you are advocating for? Not saying you're wrong or right, just the only way Cole is playing 25-30 minutes if you want Gaffney as the point guard.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Cole came in somewhat overrated. Not Ferrari overrated but I think expectations of his play were higher than what has been realized so far. I don't see one as being head and shoulders better than the other. I think Cole will continue to play more minutes than Gaff and I also see Gaffs minutes increasing as some other players minutes are reduced. I'm hoping they both play well. All hands on deck.

Reaction Score
If Gaffney is running the point and Bouknight is back then I don't see where there are 25-30 minutes for Cole. Only way I see that happening is if there are long stretches where Cole, Gaffney and Bouknight are on the court together. Is that what you are advocating for? Not saying you're wrong or right, just the only way Cole is playing 25-30 minutes if you want Gaffney as the point guard.
Yep. We should almost never run two of Gaffney, Cole, Adams at the same time with Bouknight. Jackson, Martin, Whaley, and Sanogo all need to play a ton.

Reaction Score
Cole came in somewhat overrated. Not Ferrari overrated but I think expectations of his play were higher than what has been realized so far. I don't see one as being head and shoulders better than the other. I think Cole will continue to play more minutes than Gaff and I also see Gaffs minutes increasing as some other players minutes are reduced. I'm hoping they both play well. All hands on deck.
Who was the poster who was totally hyping up Cole all offseason? I don't think I've seen him around here in a while.

Reaction Score
JimHurley, poor guy deleted his account.
Seriously? Takes that don't age well. Well I'm sure he's still reading the Boneyard.

Here are some of his takes on Cole. I guess we're all wrong once in a while.

This one on Martin didn't age well either: URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cole leads the team in assists by a lot. He is among the best scorers. And Hurley constantly credits his on the ball pressure after games.

Except for that he is in over his head.
don't think that's a fair comparison as Cole has always started and played more minutes....thus playing with the scoring lineup (including Bouk) and Gaff came in with the second team. Without any accurate count, it just seems like Gaff looses 2-4 assists a game because guys can't finish around the rim. Gaff passing to Jax and Bouk would dramatically increase his assists IMO

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

I think there will be stretches that all three are on the court. Figuring Bouk for an easy 30 and then 25 min for each Gaff and Cole will cover the 80 min at the two guard slots.

Until Jackson can prove he deserves the 15 min+ a game on a regular basis, which it looks like he is turning that corner, I think the other guards, sans Adams, get the minutes he will ultimately see.

After typing this Cole will probably see a cut back closer to the 20-25 min range.

Reaction Score
the backcourt minutes distribution is so obvious once bouk gets back:

cole (25)- gaff (15)
bouk (30)- gaff (10)

cole starts but he and gaff play the same amount of minutes (also no more BA)

the frontcourt rotation also needs to shrink (no more carlton):

jackson (20)- polley (20)
martin (30)- whaley (5)- akok (5)
sanogo (25)- whaley (15)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The reason Cole was at Howard, whle Gaffney was a top 100 player, is easy to see. Can not keep playing Cole until we are down 15, then turn to Gaffney.
They are both going to play. Probably close to similar minutes. They've both improved a bit as well. Cole has been playing within himself as of late. So I'm happy with that.

That all said, he's not incredible. So we agree there

Reaction Score
sassy role playing GIF by Hyper RPG

Reaction Score
Cole is a better defender than Gaffney he’s just needs to play within his means offensively. He should be looking for others to make plays before himself. I think we all like Cole playing off ball.

Good defender but I am so tired of guys hitting threes over him because he is so short.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Takes that don't age well. Well I'm sure he's still reading the Boneyard.

Here are some of his takes on Cole. I guess we're all wrong once in a while.

This one on Martin didn't age well either: URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin
bmayuc had Cole as a smaller more in shape and better shooting version of Marcus Williams. That would be nice, we could use that.

Reaction Score
We need both. Neither has been consistent enough to just say the other should just step aside. From game to game playing time will be given to the one playing better that particular day. If someone for a long stretch proves they should be the man then even better. Regardless, good teams need 2 points. With Ajax back, Adams will probably be the one who sees his playing time dwindle a bit.

Reaction Score
One of the theories I'm not really buying is the idea that Gaff's confidence was shattered when Cole was announced as the starter. Which lead to Gaffs poor play early in the season.

I think the root cause is some form of lack of preparation. I've mentioned this before and it upset some.

I know some pictures circulated in the off season. Pictures which showed Gaff looking pretty jacked. Obviously weight lifting alone does not equate to improved basketball skills.

I also would buy that Covid effected Gaff's prep. But one way or the other Gaff was not ready. Not ready to compete against Cole. Not ready to be effective early in the season.

Anyways, it's nice to see Gaff has righted the ship to some degree and I hope to see his skills steadily improve the rest of his career. Hopefully the beginning of his 20-21 season is a minor blip in his career.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Cole is what he is. I think his on-ball defense is hot and cold however. Gaffney is good in situations just like Cole is.

The problem is we don’t have a dependable PG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom