2023 Recruiting: - Coen Carr Offer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Coen Carr Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's the Twitch link to watch Coen Carr play. About 2 min left in third quarter.

Carr is #5 in white.

First time watching him. I like his ability to push tempo as a 6'7 wing. He's got a good frame too and a solid trunk: He'll be something like 6'8 215-220 by the time he's a sophomore, which is pretty amazing for a combo forward. It's a small sample size for me obviously, but my guess is his shot is his biggest area to work on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watched the final quarter and there wasn't too much to see. I think he was 2-4 which included a 4 on 0 dunk in the closing seconds. The one jump shot was a pretty hard miss. 0-4 on FT including one that might have been an airball. 2-3 rebounds, 1 TO, 1 steal. There was also a follow tip that might have given him another rebound and FG but with the camera work I couldn't tell who actually tipped it. I haven't really watched these events but it didn't look like he was playing with much of a sense of urgency; lots of standing around. Did others see it differently?

Reaction Score
I'm confused. Were they better players 2 weeks ago?

Yes. To me at least. I know this board is has bipolar disorder about recruits, but I've been ambivalent about Middleton since we offered him. His numbers have just been awful... production speaks for itself.

I like but don't love Carr. There's a lot of skill to work with and he has the highest ceiling of the bunch probably because of his freak size/athleticism.

Stewart is by far my favorite option of the 3. He is not as athletic, but you HAVE to be able to shoot. It's 2022. I'm sick as hell of recruiting kids who can't shoot that aren't centers.

Recruiting is fickle and I trust the staff to bring in the best talent possible. Sometimes the interest just isn't there and that's fine. Whoever comes here (or if we go the transfer route) I'll be happy. I'm fine with our recruiting. I'm pretty critical of Hurley at times, but recruiting is clearly one of his strengths

Reaction Score
if we cant have both i think stewart could/would fit better on the roster than coen.

if alleyne, hawk, and jackson all leave after this season then we wont have a single W left on the roster (besides ross) whereas we should still have karaban and samson at PF (as explained above we dont want coen on the wing as a nonshooter)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watched the final quarter and there wasn't too much to see. I think he was 2-4 which included a 4 on 0 dunk in the closing seconds. The one jump shot was a pretty hard miss. 0-4 on FT including one that might have been an airball. 2-3 rebounds, 1 TO, 1 steal. There was also a follow tip that might have given him another rebound and FG but with the camera work I couldn't tell who actually tipped it. I haven't really watched these events but it didn't look like he was playing with much of a sense of urgency; lots of standing around. Did others see it differently?
He finished today 9-14 from the field for 20 points, but 1-8 from the foul line. He did also have 15 rebounds! A double-double!

I really like his motor, albeit sometimes he may take a play off but probably more AAU ball than him, the 15 rebounds speak enough volumes. He is a great finisher at the rim and dunks anything and everything. My only concern that has been talked about quite a bit his his value in the half court.

He opened the game with an elbow 3 in rhythm that looked good off the hand but then finished 1-3 from distance.

You can run some nice PnR stuff with him, but 1-8 from the FT is concerning when shooting is already a question mark. It was a very Andre Drummond at UConn freshman year kind of game.

Run some good stuff to give him a fraction of daylight in the paint and it's 2 points.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For a portion of the board, yes. You can read through all the Middleton threads to see people unenthused by him even when they thought we were the leaders.
I don't recall many "people unenthused", I remember more intimating that these two guys are "Plan B".

Reaction Score
I don't recall many "people unenthused", I remember more intimating that these two guys are "Plan B".
You're wrong. A lot of posters like him defensively but don't like his offensive game at this point and think his ranking is a little inflated.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Like what i saw in his game..powerful, athletic, decent shot...a little Lyman Depriest ish :}
I got to”coach” Lyman in a charity game several years ago. Never considered a shooter at UConn, in the charity game he was draining on corner jumper after another. I asked him why he didn’t do more of that during UConn games. He said something to the effect that when he took a few during practice scrimmages a loud voice would yell “Hey you, off the court”. Funny, and I don’t know how true.

Reaction Score
I got to”coach” Lyman in a charity game several years ago. Never considered a shooter at UConn, in the charity game he was draining on corner jumper after another. I asked him why he didn’t do more of that during UConn games. He said something to the effect that when he took a few during practice scrimmages a loud voice would yell “Hey you, off the court”. Funny, and I don’t know how true.
He was tuff as nail, powerful, athletic, and a nice little mid range game...when coach let him shoot :}

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Idk folks I really like the player and we’re clearly prioritizing him but my god the kid just can’t shoot. He’d be a 5 star if he were an average shooter. If we land him I hope the plan is to use him at PF in the Whaley role. Hell he could probably play some center.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Idk folks I really like the player and we’re clearly prioritizing him but my god the kid just can’t shoot. He’d be a 5 star if he were an average shooter. If we land him I hope the plan is to use him at PF in the Whaley role. Hell he could probably play some center.
Exactly how I feel. He is a 4 def not a 3. Hurley wants to play 4 out so not sure where he fits in. He is a beast so hard to pass on these hard nose players.

Reaction Score
1-8 from the stripe is brutal but the kid is a beast.

I don‘t understand how this happens. I really don’t want a guy that shoots free throws that poorly. Any idea what his seasonal average is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom