Coach Appreciation Thread | The Boneyard

Coach Appreciation Thread

Reaction Score
D.Hurley.jpeg

Thank you, Coach. College BB is now fun again. This guy is simply on another level and we're lucky to have him.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Regardless of whether or not we're top 10 this year, I think it's safe to say unless something drastically bad happens to the program, we should be back to having the right kind of athletes on the floor every night. Watching Bouknight the last few years, it was staggering how good he looked. Players of that caliber used to be part of the program pretty much every year. With Hawkins and Andre Jackson this year, Samson/Clingan in the near future, Castle in 2 years, etc. it seems like we're going to have studs on the court moving forward. Just like we used to, and like a program of our stature should.

Thank you coach Hurley!

Reaction Score
This is his take when he’s uncomfortable with people giving him too much credit, specifically from when he was named A10 Coach of the Year-

But all that is part of being a great coach/program builder! Good leaders take hits for their team and pass accolades to their team members. Kudos. We r lucky to have him.

Reaction Score
Hurley's Commitments:

..Bouknight 4*
.. Gaffney 4*
..Akok 4*
..Jackson 4*.
..Sanogo 4*
..Ferguson 3*
..Hawkins 4*
..Johnson 4*
..Diggins 4*
..Floyd 4*
..Clingan 4*
..Karaban 4*
..Castle 4*
A couple of the above may end up being 5*'s

B. Adam was a 3* but that was good for URI.
Ferguson transferred out when DH was getting better commitments
Martin was a 3* who came over but is playing like a 4*

Good schools should be signing 4*'s or better but good coaches know how to recruit the right players. His proven that previously and now.

Reaction Score
Hiring a coach isn't an exact science. We were in decline and it seemed to be escalating. We are now on the rise. If we are lucky that is escalating as well. Hurley is as good as anyone should expect. We should all be very pleased. I hope he retires here.

Reaction Score
Everything you want to know about Danny Hurley - and frankly this coaching staff, as well - happened in the last 24 hours.

They win a hotly contested recruiting battle for one of the best combo guards in the entire country, pulling him out of an SEC stronghold in Georgia to do it. The announcement happens at 5:00 p.m.

Most coaching staffs would be toasting each other over steaks, lobster and cocktails... it's Friday night, they have an early game on Saturday. No one... and I mean NO ONE, would think twice if they were relaxing a bit over a celebratory dinner and then heading to bed to get ready for the game.

But what is Hurley and his staff doing? Recruiting the guys he wants to fill out the 2023 class around Castle! He and Murray are double-teaming it at a Brewster Academy game against Montverde, watching multiple targets.

He has at least 4 of the GOAT's traits (and yes, I am referring to Jim Calhoun) that you must have to become one of the best college basketball coaches in the country:

1. He straight-up outworks almost all of the other head coaches. No one, and I mean no one works harder than Danny Hurley.
2. He understands how important his coaches and support staff are, and he highlights their efforts over his own. In combination with that he is comfortable enough and confident in himself to surround himself with really talented guys - and make no mistake, this coaching staff is clearly in the Top 10 (I would say with the addition of Luke Murray now Top 5) of coaching staffs in Division I basketball.
3. *** Due to his tireless work ethic combined with the feel he has for the game he has developed a great eye for how to spot talent in kids who are 15 to 17 years old, are taking a bit longer to develop than the obvious 5* players but are about to explode. Practically every time we get connected to a kid, his stock is just starting to explode, or within 6 to 12 months of exploding. We see it time and time again. Stephon Castle is but the latest example of this. That was one of Calhoun's most superlative traits on the recruiting side of his coaching responsibilities.
4. He always puts an emphasis on Defense - Calhoun knew that hard-nosed, man-to-man defense can carry you to many, many victories, and ultimately titles. Hurley puts almost the exact same emphasis on Defense, and it shows.

if he can further develop his in-game feel for momentum shifts, substitutions and when to use his timeouts, he has the chance to become one of the greats in this business... That having been said I agree with all of you who say we were very lucky to get this man as our Head Coach. Thank you Coach Hurley, and thank you to every man on this awesome coaching staff!

Reaction Score
Everything you want to know about Danny Hurley - and frankly this coaching staff, as well - happened in the last 24 hours.

When I got to this point I assumed you were about to explain the neck wound. Thought you might have some inside info. Working theories are knife fight or Andrea with a broken wine bottle.

Maybe @Chief00 has the inside scoop

Reaction Score

They win a hotly contested recruiting battle for one of the best combo guards in the entire country, pulling him out of an SEC stronghold in Georgia to do it. The announcement happens at 5:00 p.m.

Most coaching staffs would be toasting each other over steaks, lobster and cocktails... it's Friday night, they have an early game on Saturday. No one... and I mean NO ONE, would think twice if they were relaxing a bit over a celebratory dinner and then heading to bed to get ready for the game.

But what is Hurley and his staff doing? Recruiting the guys he wants to fill out the 2023 class around Castle! He and Murray are double-teaming it at a Brewster Academy game against Montverde, watching multiple targets.

He has at least 4 of the GOAT's traits (and yes, I am referring to Jim Calhoun) that you must have to become one of the best college basketball coaches in the country:

1. He straight-up outworks almost all of the other head coaches. No one, and I mean no one works harder than Danny Hurley.
2. He understands how important his coaches and support staff are, and he highlights their efforts over his own. In combination with that he is comfortable enough and confident in himself to surround himself with really talented guys - and make no mistake, this coaching staff is clearly in the Top 10 (I would say with the addition of Luke Murray now Top 5) of coaching staffs in Division I basketball.
3. *** Due to his tireless work ethic combined with the feel he has for the game he has developed a great eye for how to spot talent in kids who are 15 to 17 years old, are taking a bit longer to develop than the obvious 5* players but are about to explode. Practically every time we get connected to a kid, his stock is just starting to explode, or within 6 to 12 months of exploding. We see it time and time again. Stephon Castle is but the latest example of this. That was one of Calhoun's most superlative traits on the recruiting side of his coaching responsibilities.
4. He always puts an emphasis on Defense - Calhoun knew that hard-nosed, man-to-man defense can carry you to many, many victories, and ultimately titles. Hurley puts almost the exact same emphasis on Defense, and it shows.

if he can further develop his in-game feel for momentum shifts, substitutions and when to use his timeouts, he has the chance to become one of the greats in this business... That having been said I agree with all of you who say we were very lucky to get this man as our Head Coach. Thank you Coach Hurley, and thank you to every man on this awesome coaching staff!
The longer he's been at UConn the more he reminds me of Calhoun. Not necessarily his personality, (Calhoun had a temper and vulgarity that was on another level), but their bball/coaching philosophy and the type of recruits they prioritize are quite similar.

Reaction Score
Hurley's Commitments:

..Bouknight 4*
.. Gaffney 4*
..Akok 4*
..Jackson 4*.
..Sanogo 4*
..Ferguson 3*
..Hawkins 4*
..Johnson 4*
..Diggins 4*
..Floyd 4*
..Clingan 4*
..Karaban 4*
..Castle 4*
A couple of the above may end up being 5*'s

B. Adam was a 3* but that was good for URI.
Ferguson transferred out when DH was getting better commitments
Martin was a 3* who came over but is playing like a 4*

Good schools should be signing 4*'s or better but good coaches know how to recruit the right players. His proven that previously and now.
Who is Ferguson?

Reaction Score
When I got to this point I assumed you were about to explain the neck wound. Thought you might have some inside info. Working theories are knife fight or Andrea with a broken wine bottle.

Maybe @Chief00 has the inside scoop
As they say that’s a “Coach’s Decision”.

Reaction Score

I agree with nearly all your observations. The one thing you don’t mention is offense. UConn won a National Title with Richard Hamilton. Then think Ben/Emeka, Kemba/Lamb and Bazz. Think fast break and the double screen curl in the half court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom