C'mon Meghan, tell us what's happening! | The Boneyard

C'mon Meghan, tell us what's happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have liked Meghan Culmo nee Pattison for years, but like any other announcer/analyst, she occasionally misses something significant.

Tonight, late in the game, Geno once again went to a 1-2-2 zone (unveiled recently in a different game). She either missed it or didn't divulge what was happening on the court (like her fixation on "box-outs").

Why did Geno do this? Certainly not to influence the outcome of UConn vs. Memphis.

Could it be that he noticed that ND has some good guards (especially Loyd), a couple of deadly perimeter shooters (Cable & Mabry) but not much firepower in the paint (Achonwa + ???).

And I simply can't resist, I must close with:

Just sayin':rolleyes:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Something is afoot. I can't recall a UConn team playing as much zone this early in the season. It would seem Geno is getting ready for something or someone.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think the zone is preparation for playing with a short bench. It minimizes fouls and allows the defense to remain largely the same if it isn't possible to have the match ups you would prefer because someone is in foul trouble.

Also, with three bigs on the back line, the zone can really stifle inside play by the opponent's offense.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Joe - you get the prize. We are back to a 7 scholarship health team with Banks and Tuck banged up and it only takes a few first half fouls to screw up the rotation completely. Zone reduces the chance of committing fouls so the team has been practicing it a lot somewhat out of necessity. And it is getting better the more they play it. With the speed of our four guards it can be a pretty aggressive match-up zone and with the length of Stewart and Stokes, they don't have to completely close out on the wings to be a threat to block or alter most shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom