Clingan is an an absolute monster | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Clingan is an an absolute monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's starting look like hes one of the best freshman in the country and I dont think it would be a surprise to anyone if this is his only year playing at Uconn. Its really hard to pass on that kind of money.
If he's a lottery pick, he needs to go. Not sure he's going to be there after one year. If he's not, the NIL environment has definitely changed the calculus. Clingan will be incredibly marketable as a hometown hero that presumably would roll into next season with a ton of national exposure.

Reaction Score
I know one poster — was it Husky Warrior — was man enough to say he was dead wrong on how good Clingan would be this quickly, but I’d love to hear from others just to understand what they got wrong in hindsight (and we’re all wrong in hindsight so I’m not being critical, I just want to understand). Was the lack of excitement here just because the services didn’t have him as a five star? Was it a prejudice against those who stay in public school? Did Clingan just improve so much faster than people could have guessed? I’d just be curious how so many were so conservative on their predictions for him.

And again, I get things wrong. We’ll all be wrong on how we predict the future. This is not a post about being critical. I’m just curious if there are lessons to be learned here.
It's starting look like hes one of the best freshman in the country and I dont think it would be a surprise to anyone if this is his only year playing at Uconn. Its really hard to pass on that kind of money.
Think he’s a two year guy at least those are some of the Bristol rumors

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I love this game so much for Clingan. The fat dude on Florida made a hook shot over Donovan and then gestured to him that he was too small to guard him and threw an elbow at Clingan on the other side of the court. Donovan proceeded to dunk all over Florida and challenged everything at the rim. One of Clingan's alley oops he put his finger over his mouth while staring down the Florida bench running down the floor to silence them and then near the end of the game he did the Gator chop.
This whole sequence was chef's kiss - I was like wait did that dude try and bully DC? I was thinking maybe it's time to jam some Adama down his throat but nope, DC retaliated, and it was AWESOME.

He's had one "bad" game out of 10 as a freshman, his hands are made of glue, his dunks require a 4" jump... love him.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Loved the chomp in Florida. The last time I witnessed that was in 1994 in Miami but Florida fans were doing the chomp under much sadder circumstances for me.
Me too! Donovan is such a good kid that it surprised me a little bit. Totally in a good way though. It’s good to see that competitive edge.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I questioned once, a few games ago, if he has good hands because in one game it seemed that he fumbled a few passes or rebounds. I was wrong- he receives passes great, he is grabbing rebounds and securing them, he is really good. I don't see any weaknesses at all, and he is going to get better. Please stay 3 years!
Diarra got caught deep in the lane in the 2nd half and rifled the ball to Clingan diving down from the foul lane from about 3 feet, maybe not quite waist high. Clingan couldn't quite get it up to the rim but he caught the ball and drew a foul. It was a real tough catch.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I love this game so much for Clingan. The fat dude on Florida made a hook shot over Donovan and then gestured to him that he was too small to guard him and threw an elbow at Clingan on the other side of the court. Donovan proceeded to dunk all over Florida and challenged everything at the rim. One of Clingan's alley oops he put his finger over his mouth while staring down the Florida bench running down the floor to silence them and then near the end of the game he did the Gator chop.
This was an awesome sequence! Note to future opponents: you don’t want to make Donovan mad.

Reaction Score
Is it fair to ask how stupid Florida's backup Center is? You make ONE play and then taunt an opponent in the midst of a game where not only is your team being manhandled but it's largely because of how badly you are being obliterated at your own position? Yeah, o.k.

As for DC, to have the maturity at his age to understand that the response is not to get mad but to get even is quite a statement.

Reaction Score
He is so much better than I ever thought he would be year 1. I figured it would take him a year or two to really settle in but he's already a huge impact player and plays smart. Very poised. When he starts hitting jumpers like he did in high school forget it.

Reaction Score
Think he’s a two year guy at least those are some of the Bristol rumors
I have no inside information or ear to what people are saying in Bristol but my gut tells me he didn't come here just to prepare himself for the NBA while playing one year as a backup. My instinct is he takes a lot of NIL money, buys an insurance policy and comes back next year to be THE MAN. Which I have no doubt he will be. Frankly, he is way, way ahead of where I remember Edey as a frosh.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I have no inside information or ear to what people are saying in Bristol but my gut tells me he didn't come here just to prepare himself for the NBA while playing one year as a backup. My instinct is he takes a lot of NIL money, buys an insurance policy and comes back next year to be THE MAN. Which I have no doubt he will be. Frankly, he is way, way ahead of where I remember Edey as a frosh.
I think he and Victor Rosa have a master plan to rule Storrs before they leave...

Reaction Score
Part of the fun this year is listening to TV guys that have never seen him play before. They can't believe it. You think Jimmy Dykes came in to the game thinking he can start for 95% of D1 teams?
As a side note, I really like Jimmy Dykes as a commentator. He sounds like he should be calling SEC football games, but he showed his knowledge for the game and clearly knew his stuff. Wouldn’t mind seeing him call a couple of our tournament games on our road to ring #5

Reaction Score
As a side note, I really like Jimmy Dykes as a commentator. He sounds like he should be calling SEC football games, but he showed his knowledge for the game and clearly knew his stuff. Wouldn’t mind seeing him call a couple of our tournament games on our road to ring #5

Agree. Dykes isn't flamboyant, but he's been a really insightful and solid analyst for years. One of the best.

Reaction Score
That was our bench he did that too.

caw

Reaction Score
Clingan's output if sustainable for 30 per game are near POY stuff and by that I mean near Edey output this year. Only spot Clingan is lower is PPG.

Reaction Score
Big man took the loss but I'm liking that stroke from deep

watching this video it made me wonder if the intramural teams ever get to play on this court or at Gampel. I remember playing intramural basketball at the Fieldhouse many years ago. Does anyone know if the championships or any other games are played at Gampel or Werth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom