Clingan is an an absolute monster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan is an an absolute monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As much as we're enjoying these games nobody is enjoying them more than Bristol Central coach Tim Barrette. He kept the kid home when it seemed like everyone else was saying the kid needs to go to prep or he won't be ready. The announcers are always shouting out Bristol Central and how well schooled Clingan is.
This. I was going to start a new thread: "Boneyarders: Apologize to Donovan!" All the so-called experts here judging that he made a bad decision staying at Bristol Central rather than going to one of the prep schools for better competition. It doesn't seem to have hurt him, has it? Give his high school coach (and Donovan himself) all the credit in the world. Let this be a lesson that maybe, just maybe, it's the COACH who means more to a player's development than the opposing players?

How many high school players did Donovan face who were even 6'5"?? He has been outplaying ALL the big men he's faced...as a freshman!!!

Reaction Score
I love this game so much for Clingan. The fat dude on Florida made a hook shot over Donovan and then gestured to him that he was too small to guard him and threw an elbow at Clingan on the other side of the court. Donovan proceeded to dunk all over Florida and challenged everything at the rim. One of Clingan's alley oops he put his finger over his mouth while staring down the Florida bench running down the floor to silence them and then near the end of the game he did the Gator chop.

Reaction Score
I questioned once, a few games ago, if he has good hands because in one game it seemed that he fumbled a few passes or rebounds. I was wrong- he receives passes great, he is grabbing rebounds and securing them, he is really good. I don't see any weaknesses at all, and he is going to get better. Please stay 3 years!

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I questioned once, a few games ago, if he has good hands because in one game it seemed that he fumbled a few passes or rebounds. I was wrong- he receives passes great, he is grabbing rebounds and securing them, he is really good. I don't see any weaknesses at all, and he is going to get better. Please stay 3 years!
At this rate I'll take 2

Reaction Score
Clingan is seen having fun, enjoying his teammates and overall looking comfortable in a UConn jersey. He appears to be a kid living his dream.

He and Sanogo make each other better. Sanogo ain't scared of tall players that's for sure, and knows he how to dance around them.

Conversely Sanogo got Clingan D1 ready in less than half a season. Both are the best big man coaches we've ever had!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
He’s learning and getting better game by game. Already handling defending the post better. Followed the pick amazingly the the dunk on the miss later in the second half.

UF’s best player, their center who was supposed to be good, was 1/9 in the first half and only scored 8 points from the floor all game. He and Sanogo made him look bad.
He will master the game shortly. He has a high basketball IQ, smooth moves and confident in his shot. Knows exactly what to do. Fun to watch.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
How do you game plan for this team? The only way to really slow down Sanogo is to get him in foul trouble and then congrats, your prize is trying to slow down Clingan.
Having either one alone, gives us an incredible presence in the paint. Having both? It’s almost unfair.

Reaction Score
How do you game plan for this team? The only way to really slow down Sanogo is to get him in foul trouble and then congrats, your prize is trying to slow down Clingan.

This is the real key - Probably before the season we would have thought one of our weaknesses is "what if Sanogo gets in foul trouble?"

Now, we might be... gulp... better(?) or at least equally effective when Sanogo goes to the bench because Clingan comes in and absolutely owns the paint.

This has three effects that are so important to our success

1. It means Sanogo and Clingan can play with aggression all the time and literally doesn't matter if they get in a bit of foul trouble. Aw shucks, Sanogo has 2 fouls. YAYYYY DONOVAN DUNK TIMEEEE.

2. It means for the rest of the team they know the Identity of the team is the same regardless of who is on the floor, that post player is the alpha on offense and the anchor on defense, so it provides consistency of style.

3. This is the reason that Hurley is so chill this year. He can assemble almost a random subset of 4 players around them both and the pieces are guaranteed to fit. His job is very easy.

Reaction Score
Sorry but I have to say this. I understand the foul trouble thought playing them together, but if you didn't picture what he and Sanogo would've done offensively last night against the Gators if in at the same time, you're crazy. Honestly with his ability to pass and crash he'd drive teams nuts. They'd be doubling down on Sanogo and he's find open shooters on the wings if that was the secondary look. I would still like to see it once in a while. Call me crazy but it would be difficult to guard this team with high post, 3 out and AS getting space. A little zone never hurt they won't get in the lane that much either.

Reaction Score
Soft paws, soft paws, some soft paws on that guy

Reaction Score
As much as we're enjoying these games nobody is enjoying them more than Bristol Central coach Tim Barrette. He kept the kid home when it seemed like everyone else was saying the kid needs to go to prep or he won't be ready. The announcers are always shouting out Bristol Central and how well schooled Clingan is.
I know one poster — was it Husky Warrior — was man enough to say he was dead wrong on how good Clingan would be this quickly, but I’d love to hear from others just to understand what they got wrong in hindsight (and we’re all wrong in hindsight so I’m not being critical, I just want to understand). Was the lack of excitement here just because the services didn’t have him as a five star? Was it a prejudice against those who stay in public school? Did Clingan just improve so much faster than people could have guessed? I’d just be curious how so many were so conservative on their predictions for him.

And again, I get things wrong. We’ll all be wrong on how we predict the future. This is not a post about being critical. I’m just curious if there are lessons to be learned here.

Reaction Score
The thing that strikes me the most is how fast he is getting the ball up once he receives a dump off or an offensive rebound. That’s instinct so underrated.

What’s big east freshman of the year race looking like this early ?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

It really is like holding a winning powerball ticket, we really need to enjoy this specific configuration because it is truly once in a lifetime you have someone playing at Clingans level who is willing to be an understudy to a consensus possible 1st team all american. It just never happens.

Reaction Score
It really is like holding a winning powerball ticket, we really need to enjoy this specific configuration because it is truly once in a lifetime you have someone playing at Clingans level who is willing to be an understudy to a consensus possible 1st team all american. It just never happens.
Especially at that position. Guards are easier. You can mix and match and get them on the court at the same time. This is effectively a zero sum game and both of them seem fine with it. A true testament to the two of them as well as the coaching staff for getting everyone to buy in.

Reaction Score
I'm getting major Zach Edey vibes...

Edey's stats so far = gradual progress

1670508333522.png

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
The thing that strikes me the most is how fast he is getting the ball up once he receives a dump off or an offensive rebound. That’s instinct so underrated.

What’s big east freshman of the year race looking like this early ?
It's starting look like hes one of the best freshman in the country and I dont think it would be a surprise to anyone if this is his only year playing at Uconn. Its really hard to pass on that kind of money.

Reaction Score
I know one poster — was it Husky Warrior — was man enough to say he was dead wrong on how good Clingan would be this quickly, but I’d love to hear from others just to understand what they got wrong in hindsight (and we’re all wrong in hindsight so I’m not being critical, I just want to understand). Was the lack of excitement here just because the services didn’t have him as a five star? Was it a prejudice against those who stay in public school? Did Clingan just improve so much faster than people could have guessed? I’d just be curious how so many were so conservative on their predictions for him.

And again, I get things wrong. We’ll all be wrong on how we predict the future. This is not a post about being critical. I’m just curious if there are lessons to be learned here.

The unknown. He played low level competition and didn’t seem to thrive in his limited opportunities against highly ranked bigs. And historically, bigs take longer to develop. The guy Clingan profiles most similarly to - Kessler - got so little burn after his freshman year he transferred, and he was a 5*. I think the only way you could have projected this is if you barely follow or understand college basketball.

Reaction Score
1. It means Sanogo and Clingan can play with aggression all the time and literally doesn't matter if they get in a bit of foul trouble. Aw shucks, Sanogo has 2 fouls. YAYYYY DONOVAN DUNK TIMEEEE.

This is a major factor. Most big men at their level have it drilled into them to watch their fouls. Last year, that was the obvious best strategy against UConn was to try to get Sanogo out of the game. They were a far weaker team when he left the court. This year they know they have 10 fouls to work with. Aggression with no limits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom