Clingan 7'2" | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Clingan 7'2"

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You’ve got to trust the process. Identifying both physical and basketball talent is tough. D3 bound kids shut down high D1 kids in AAU fairly often. Coaches often have an eye for potential. This staff in particular, has yet to disappoint in the evaluation process. I’d bet on them.

Oh now, it's blind trust. No, thanks. I can trust Hurley but question. If he comes here cool, I'll absolutely root to be wrong but until then no thanks, pass for me. If this wasn't a CT kid we really wouldn't even be talking about him. If we didn't recruit the #1 ranked CT that would be awful for us but I don't want him to come here.

polycom

Reaction Score
Back to the coaches can never be wrong well. I already adressed that and yes, once again, of course they can be. A sure thing does not exist when projecting high school basketball players. It's a terrible argument however. Warren Buffett can be wrong but I would rather take investment advice from him than you. I guess I will give you credit for going out on a limb despite being in the vast minority.

Great example, Warren Buffett invests with a methodology. Always follow his methodology but you can absolutely call one of his picks as being bs. Buffett didn't invest in tech for a long time, if you did the opposite you would have made a lot of money. Granted Buffett now is the largest shareholder of apple so things change.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This kid isn’t UConn talent. Skip.

Guys coaches have never been wrong about a player. I could be wrong, but this kid plays pub school in CT, all his tape is not good. I doubt he ends up here, and if he does he isn't going to be a star. He'll likely get recruited over immediately.

Yes I'm 100% serious I don't think he'll be good enough to play here by the time he'd come here.

No I doubt he is high major D1...

UChusky916

Reaction Score
No I doubt he is high major D1...

High major D1 schools and coaches that disagree with you because they've offered:

UConn
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Virginia Tech
Georgetown
Syracuse
Providence
Iowa
Rutgers

So either you're a remarkably ignorant idiot... or you're better at evaluating HS basketball talent than the coaching staffs of those high major D1 schools (who get paid to do that stuff for a living).

I'll go with the former.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Oh now, it's blind trust. No, thanks. I can trust Hurley but question. If he comes here cool, I'll absolutely root to be wrong but until then no thanks, pass for me. If this wasn't a CT kid we really wouldn't even be talking about him. If we didn't recruit the #1 ranked CT that would be awful for us but I don't want him to come here.

@OldTakesExposed

Reaction Score
You are picking a really strange hill to die on

Reaction Score
The coaches project him up. True, competition hasn’t akways been very good but the dude is 7-2 in HS and fairly athletic. The coaches targeting him aren’t stupid.
As the quote goes, you can't teach height. His tape shows a kid with a giant frame who moves well and whose upside has to be enormous. I'd welcome him to UConn in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
High major D1 schools and coaches that disagree with you because they've offered:

UConn
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Virginia Tech
Georgetown
Syracuse
Providence
Iowa
Rutgers

So either you're a remarkably ignorant idiot... or you're better at evaluating HS basketball talent than the coaching staffs of those high major D1 schools (who get paid to do that stuff for a living).

I'll go with the former.
An SU plant posting on the Boneyard to set off bad karma.. Needless to say, I don't think he speaks for 99.99% of UConn fans.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
7'2" 16 year old with good mobility? We'd be interested in him if he was from Mars.

Reaction Score

UConn
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Virginia Tech
Georgetown
Syracuse
Providence
Iowa
Rutgers

I'll go with the former.
Exactly. I tried explaining this using a scalpel. You used a sledgehammer. Gotta say I prefer your method as being much more effective.

Reaction Score
Tyler Olander was better than this kid in HS and look how that turned out.

I did not follow Olander's HS career but this can't be true. Olander put up 21 & 10 as a senior; Clingan put up 25 & 17 with six blocks as a sophomore. Did Olander have a who's who of powerhouse DI offers as a sophomore? Olander was a 3-star recruit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Something that everyone (even those that love Donovan's game) seems to be doing is treating Donovan like a "normal" recruit...which he is not. He's already 6 inches taller and 30lbs heavier than our starting center, and he's the age of a 2023. There's a good chance he shows up on campus 7'3 260+ pounds. He isn't supposed to look as athletic as Samson or as skilled as Sanogo--and he's not. The kid is absolutely gargantuan. There's only a small handful of players in the NBA bigger than him. Regular rules for evaluating talent don't apply.

Reaction Score
Something that everyone (even those that love Donovan's game) seems to be doing is treating Donovan like a "normal" recruit...which he is not. He's already 6 inches taller and 30lbs heavier than our starting center, and he's the age of a 2023. There's a good chance he shows up on campus 7'3 260+ pounds. He isn't supposed to look as athletic as Samson or as skilled as Sanogo--and he's not. The kid is absolutely gargantuan. There's only a small handful of players in the NBA bigger than him. Regular rules for evaluating talent don't apply.
He's a legit 7'1 barefoot, just a monster of a 16 year old...

Screenshot_20200810-141056_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
An SU plant posting on the Boneyard to set off bad karma.. Needless to say, I don't think he speaks for 99.99% of UConn fans.
Poly has been around for a while so i doubt if this is a Manchurian candidate situation. But, man, what a bizarre & horrible take on this kid. I don’t know if we should take it seriously.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
If we can get DC, our front line his freshman year will be insane.

(If not playing professionally) Senior Akok
Junior Javonte Brown Ferguson
Junior Sanogo
Soph Johnson
Fresh Clingan

Am I missing anyone?

Reaction Score
If we can get DC, our front line his freshman year will be insane.

(If not playing professionally) Senior Akok
Junior Javonte Brown Ferguson
Junior Sanogo
Soph Johnson
Fresh Clingan

Am I missing anyone?
Springs

Reaction Score
The chances are greater that he'll be an NBA lottery pick than that he would be a player that wouldn't help UConn. This is a really dumb discussion.

Would he be better at a school like NMH than playing in the CIAC? Would he be better off with a higher level AAU team (in a very weird AAU year)? Those could at least be interesting discussions.

polycom

Reaction Score

Lol who are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul