Cigar boxes; do you keep your empties? | The Boneyard

Cigar boxes; do you keep your empties?

Reaction Score
I have about 40, some nice looking and well made. But what are some uses for them? I look online and some places ask $10+ for boxes that I already have. Not looking to sell them, but I'm reluctant to throw them away, especially the ones with locks/clasps. I have like 4 humidors so re-using them for stogie storage is out. Also I'm not talking about the cardboard ones, but the wooden and others that appear premium.

Got to be some good uses for them (e.g. nuts/bolts/screws, maybe batteries?), but I'm out of ideas. No need for receipts, cuz I'm paperless. Pictures are out cuz those are digital now. Ink pens are out cuz, I rarely write now, recipes are out because . . . . . . . . . . . .

So if you keep your empties, how do you put them to use? Seems a waste to throw the good looking empties away, or worse not to put them to use.

Or do you just throw them out with the trash?

Here's an example of one in my inventory:
1629913189997.png

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've only kept the one from the Hemingway Short Stories and one other that I handed out when my first daughter was born. I use them for storing ticket stubs I want to save. I don't expect to need them for that much anymore, what with the reduced number of live events and the use of digital tickets for most that are held now.
There's not one of these I'd actually do, but here you go.
Samantha Fish might make you reconsider that:

Reaction Score
I've only kept the one from the Hemingway Short Stories and one other that I handed out when my first daughter was born. I use them for storing ticket stubs I want to save. I don't expect to need them for that much anymore, what with the reduced number of live events and the use of digital tickets for most that are held now.

Love Samantha Fish.

I burned a ton of the traditional cardboard and cedar lined boxes in the fire pit in the spring. Must have had 50 of them taking up space in my workshop. I keep the nice ones and use a few of them for various knick-knacks. One has picture hanging hardware, one has all of my UCONN Football buttons in it, etc.

Most just sit behind the bar with all the empty Scotch tins that I can't seem to throw out.

Reaction Score
Yep, I keep. Them and help contribute to the coin shortage by placing my loose change there at the end of every day

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Don't do cigars, so I've got nothing on that front. But the first few posts reminded me of this. If you haven't seen it, do.

Reaction Score
I do estate cleaning outs and mostly people do exactly what you said catch all for hardware and keys and such or just hoard them empty

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have one where i keep loose tees, ball markers, divot tools, and spikes; and one for mismatched balls, as I've accumulated a ridiculous amount of all.

Reaction Score
That's amazing, man! Love that bead-board. I used it when I finished my basement. When I first planned it out, I had a 10x12 area set aside for a cigar room. It even had ventilation duct from an old clothes dryer. About 12 hours before I hammered the first nail, my wife said, "You're not really going to put in a cigar room, are you?" I think I'm gonna steal your idea.

Reaction Score
A funny story both UCONN and cigar box related....

I was tailgating at a UCONN Football game some years back with a really good buzz and was puffing mightily on a cigar. A guy walked up to me with a box of fake Cohibas in a glass-topped box, which is the quintessential fake Cuban cigar and offered me one for $20. I started screaming at the top of my lungs, "THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A CUBAN CIGAR IN A GLASS TOPPED BOX! THESE ARE FAKES! FAKES! FAKES!" He ran like hell out of the Blue Lot! My father-in-law though I was a lunatic!

Reaction Score

I saved my tix stubs (started in '79) also until my daughter gave me an organizer. A scrapbook you can slip the stubs into. I now have two mainly because I love live music and sports (except pro).

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I can only remember one uncle who smoked cigars when I was a kid. Yet through the fifties, everyone had a workshop, cellar, sewing room, whatever, loaded with cigar boxes full of nuts, bolts, nails, notion, zippers, baseball cards, whatever. In the sixties, at least the garage, cellar, workshop variety started giving way to coffee cans. Everybody drank coffee, so that made sense. But where did all those cigar boxes go. And where did they come from in the first place. Uncle Hank couldn't have supplied everyone my parents knew with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom