Christyn's Defense | The Boneyard

Christyn's Defense

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Christyn had a tough offensive game last night. After the game some BY'ers suggested that Christyn's defense was also suspect. I just watched the game film again, and quite frankly, I challenge anyone to objectively watch the SC game film and determine that Christyn's defense was anything less than stellar.

Christyn drew a tough assignment vs SC pg Destanni Henderson, who most certainly had a quickness advantage over her. Christyn used her size to challenge Henderson's shot and pressured her into numerous turnovers. In addition, despite Henderson's quickness, there wasn't a single time during the game that Henderson was able to turn the corner on Christyn and get to the basket for a layup. For the game Henderson was 5 for 17 with 3 assists and 8 turnovers.

In fairness, other players also guarded Henderson when Christyn was out. That included both Aubrey and Evina who also played solid defense. When Henderson was out, Christyn was matched up with Destiny Littleton. In her 14 minutes of play, Littleton was basically a non-factor, Her stat line was 0 for 1, with 2 pf's and 1 rb.

We would all like Christyn to shoot better and score more points. But in last night's physical defensive matchup between the top two teams in the nation, Christyn's exceptional defensive effort was one of the keys to UConn's victory.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Between her defense and an all round solid quarter in the 3rd, I'd say Christyn had a pretty good game last night.

Admittedly the shooting is a concern. Not so much the 3s - she missed some mid-range and free throws that she can, has, and should make.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't quite say it was an "exceptional" defensive effort from Christyn last night. I'd reserve that for the way Aubrey played when Geno put her in later in the game. But to my eye, Christyn was solid on D throughout the night, no question.

The challenge for Christyn right now is of course that she is not an impact player often enough when it truly counts. And she continues to try to force longer jump shots at times when then they are not working for her, rather than leaving some of that for a hotter hand and sticking with what she is good at.

Given how young this team is, it's going to need a reliable upperclassman like Christyn to take some pressure off of Paige going forward. I continue to believe in Christyn. I also believe that Christyn's play will be a determining factor in whether UConn can earn a 12th banner this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really happy about this thread, oldude. There have been criticisms about CW, Liv and Anna. People seemed to forget that they are the key members of this UConn team. They played their hearts out whenever they are out there. At times they don't have a good offensive game, but they made up with defense. They are the ones setting up screens, all kinds of screens, so Paige Buckets can make them and win the game.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Really happy about this thread, oldude. There have been criticisms about CW, Liv and Anna. People seemed to forget that they are the key members of this UConn team. They played their hearts out whenever they are out there. At times they don't have a good offensive game, but they made up with defense. They are the ones setting up screens, all kinds of screens, so Paige Buckets can make them and win the game.
One can argue that right now the key member of our team is solely Paige Beuckers...
Everyone on this team has roles that can vary slightly from game to game depending on matchups

In the SC game for instance with regards to Christyn whose strength is attacking the rim, to do so would also play into the strength of South Carolina's defense since they are known to block/alter shots and rebound very well as a team, which therefore means for Christyn at 5'11 to be effective offensively, her pull up and outside Jumper would need to be on consistently, similarly to that of Paige's game coming off of screens and getting into the gaps. This is why for the past two seasons she has somewhat struggled to score against them, whereas athletic players like Gabby, Aubrey can get those bigs into foul trouble or just out jump them with quickness to the rim.

and with regards to defensive efforts, well some players just have the speed and recovery to be an annoying pest on defense, such as Aubrey, Nika, and even Paige at times. At best Christyn will try to contain her opponent who in most cases are a little quicker than her. So it is important that she get help from her teammates on the floor.

Liv on the other hand has all the tools to be a great defensive player except one thing, quick reaction.. :) sometimes it looks as though she is moving in slow motion out there to me... and usually stops after the first stop, allowing her opponent to recover, IMO she needs to continually move her feet on defense and keep her hands up in the air instead of trying to use her hands to hold, reach and swat so much, but that is just my observation.

Reaction Score
I just rewatched the 2nd half focusing only on Christyn. She definitely had a solid defensive half defending Henderson, who was a non factor. . I agree that right now, we cannot depend on her offensively. Her shot is not reliable.

In OT, Henderson got an easy drive to the basket. The announcers even commented that it was her easiest layup since the first quarter. Christyn, who had been guarding her all game, was on the bench and Henderson was being guarded by... Aubrey. (Not saying Audrey's a bad defender, but she missed that one.) Immediately after, Geno calls time out and guess who comes back into the game? Christyn. She did get caught up a screen and Olivia offered help on one play, but on the next one, Henderson lost the ball and Christyn was most DEFINITELY involved in poking it out. We were only up by 1 point at that time. Her defense was very solid.

I think Christyn's shooting woes make it seem like she's not doing anything. She's also not flashy or fiery as some of our new freshman (who I LOVE, by the way). That's why I rewatched with a focus on her. She was solid and helped us a great deal in that game.

Reaction Score
I just rewatched the 2nd half focusing only on Christyn. She definitely had a solid defensive half defending Henderson, who was a non factor. . I agree that right now, we cannot depend on her offensively. Her shot is not reliable.

In OT, Henderson got an easy drive to the basket. The announcers even commented that it was her easiest layup since the first quarter. Christyn, who had been guarding her all game, was on the bench and Henderson was being guarded by... Aubrey. (Not saying Audrey's a bad defender, but she missed that one.) Immediately after, Geno calls time out and guess who comes back into the game? Christyn. She did get caught up a screen and Olivia offered help on one play, but on the next one, Henderson lost the ball and Christyn was most DEFINITELY involved in poking it out. We were only up by 1 point at that time. Her defense was very solid.

I think Christyn's shooting woes make it seem like she's not doing anything. She's also not flashy or fiery as some of our new freshman (who I LOVE, by the way). That's why I rewatched with a focus on her. She was solid and helped us a great deal in that game.
On that possession when Aubrey was on Henderson, there seemed to be some confusion if I remember correctly. Aubrey was trying to get Nika to trade defensive assignments.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Two main points I have related to CW
1. Players develop on their timeline, not ours. As long as there is effort there, which the coaches see everyday that we do not, we HAVE to defer to Geno, CD, Shea and Jamelle.
2. CW is driving more to the basket than she ever has in 3 years and is using her body to shield her shot. Her outside shooting g is still struggling-it happens. However her free throws ARE ATROCIOUS especially for a 5’10” shooting guard. That IS correctable and needs to be.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Christyn had a tough offensive game last night. After the game some BY'ers suggested that Christyn's defense was also suspect. I just watched the game film again, and quite frankly, I challenge anyone to objectively watch the SC game film and determine that Christyn's defense was anything less than stellar.

Christyn drew a tough assignment vs SC pg Destanni Henderson, who most certainly had a quickness advantage over her. Christyn used her size to challenge Henderson's shot and pressured her into numerous turnovers. In addition, despite Henderson's quickness, there wasn't a single time during the game that Henderson was able to turn the corner on Christyn and get to the basket for a layup. For the game Henderson was 5 for 17 with 3 assists and 8 turnovers.

In fairness, other players also guarded Henderson when Christyn was out. That included both Aubrey and Evina who also played solid defense. When Henderson was out, Christyn was matched up with Destiny Littleton. In her 14 minutes of play, Littleton was basically a non-factor, Her stat line was 0 for 1, with 2 pf's and 1 rb.

We would all like Christyn to shoot better and score more points. But in last night's physical defensive matchup between the top two teams in the nation, Christyn's exceptional defensive effort was one of the keys to UConn's victory.
Again, Christyn's defense which has been good, not great, is absolutely not the issue here. The problems is when UConn plays teams with size CW gets the smaller 3 and Evina with her bad wheel gets the taller player. Last game it was Saxton, who had 3 inches and 25 pounds on her. Against Marquette it was Taylor. Both of these forwards either just turned around and shot over Evina or took her inside for easy baskets. These are not matchups Evina can win, nor are they conducive to winning BB. When AE enters the game she takes the big Saxton or Taylor. That lineup wins a championship. Now, Geno knows this, but he's in a Bria Hartley position at mid season. Evina when healthy to me has shown to be the better option on offense and defense, but Evina ain't healthy, and everytime E goes up she comes down with a limp.

On offense CW has not been atrocious by any means, but consistent or clutch? Not since her freshman year. People continue to go on and on about her vaunted pull up but there is no evidence of its effectiveness. She has yet to hit a pull up in transition this year. Against SCar she missed her only pull up which was wide open. Against MU she actually missed two which were wide open, but the ref didn't see a clear travel and she got credit for one. CW gets her points when her feet are set, on layups or put backs. Her FT shooting has been average at best.

It seems to me the true test for CW is next year. I don't see Evina coming back next year. Her knee puts her in a Morgan Tuck situation where there are just so many strides left in that knee. Why stay? Next years wings, Ducharme and Saylor are frankly better on the perimeter, and better, more consistent shooters...and if CW thinks she can beat out Azzi or Nika as a combo guard, guess again.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Again, Christyn's defense which has been good, not great, is absolutely not the issue here. The problems is when UConn plays teams with size CW gets the smaller 3 and Evina with her bad wheel gets the taller player. Last game it was Saxton, who had 3 inches and 25 pounds on her. Against Marquette it was Taylor. Both of these forwards either just turned around and shot over Evina or took her inside for easy baskets. These are not matchups Evina can win, nor are they conducive to winning BB. When AE enters the game she takes the big Saxton or Taylor. That lineup wins a championship. Now, Geno knows this, but he's in a Bria Hartley position at mid season. Evina when healthy to me has shown to be the better option on offense and defense, but Evina ain't healthy, and everytime E goes up she comes down with a limp.

On offense CW has not been atrocious by any means, but consistent or clutch? Not since her freshman year. People continue to go on and on about her vaunted pull up but there is no evidence of its effectiveness. She has yet to hit a pull up in transition this year. Against SCar she missed her only pull up which was wide open. Against MU she actually missed two which were wide open, but the ref didn't see a clear travel and she got credit for one. CW gets her points when her feet are set, on layups or put backs. Her FT shooting has been average at best.

It seems to me the true test for CW is next year. I don't see Evina coming back next year. Her knee puts her in a Morgan Tuck situation where there are just so many strides left in that knee, why stay? Next years wings, Ducharme and Saylor are frankly better on the perimeter, and better, more consistent shooters...and if CW thinks she can beat out Azzi or Niki as a combo guard, guess again.
I don’t think Christyn is just going to rollover next season and give up her starting spot to Azzi. If Azzi or any other player sends Christyn to the bench, they will most definitely have to earn it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I don’t think Christyn is just going to rollover next season and give up her starting spot to Azzi. If Azzi or any other player sends Christyn to the bench, they will most definitely have to earn it.
No she won't roll over. She's a competitor, and competitors compete. It won't help. Now, as with Bria, if she accepts a first off the bench role as a combo guard she'll be okay, and quite effective in that role. But carrying the teams water may not sit well with her, and remember, coming off the bench means you bring energy, defense, confidence, and shooting. But again, I don't think her competition will be Azzi. Even this year she's seen little if any time as a combo guard. If Paige and Nika are penciled in at the 1 and 2, CW's competition will come from Saylor, Caroline, and occasionally, even DeBerry at the 3. Nevertheless, I've seen enough Nika and Azzi to have confidence that from day one next year CW future as a starting UConn combo guard are over.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No she won't roll over. She's a competitor, and competitors compete. It won't help. Now, as with Bria, if she accepts a first off the bench role as a combo guard she'll be okay, and quite effective in that role. But carrying the teams water may not sit well with her, and remember, coming off the bench means you bring energy, defense, confidence, and shooting. But again, I don't think her competition will be Azzi. Even this year she's seen little if any time as a combo guard. If Paige and Nika are penciled in at the 1 and 2, CW's competition will come from Saylor, Caroline, and occasionally, even DeBerry at the 3. Nevertheless, I've seen enough Nika and Azzi to have confidence that from day one next year CW future as a starting UConn combo guard are over.
I’m not so sure about the outcome of that competition. Time will certainly tell.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure about the outcome of that competition. Time will certainly tell.
Man I so do agree, and thank goodness. I for one cannot wait. I'm personally glad to have my health and expectancy to see it.

Reaction Score
CW can be a very effective and valuable asset to any team if she is allowed to focus on what she does best. While she does not have really quick feet, which is an asset on defense, positioning and spacing is often more important. Quickness will often let a player down, but understanding position and spacing is a key to consistantly good defense. Therea are many variables that are often overlooked in a basketball players abilities. Positioning and spacing as was previously mentioned. Also peripheral vision is also important as well as visual processing speed. Those are some things that we often take for granted, but not every players is blessed with the same levels in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom